Does DHT promote body hair growth?

deng

Reaction score
I'm 28, have been using finasteride 1.25mg for about the last 6 months, and seem to have gotten noticably hairier on the chest during this period. Topside there's not much of a change for better or worse. I've also been "hitting the gym" fairly hard during the same period (with pretty decent results muscle-wise). However, the body hair issue makes me puzzled. Does anybody know what really regulates body hair growth on the hormonial side? DHT, test or a combination of both?

G

deng said:
I'm 28, have been using finasteride 1.25mg for about the last 6 months, and seem to have gotten noticably hairier on the chest during this period. Topside there's not much of a change for better or worse. I've also been "hitting the gym" fairly hard during the same period (with pretty decent results muscle-wise). However, the body hair issue makes me puzzled. Does anybody know what really regulates body hair growth on the hormonial side? DHT, test or a combination of both?

This is more commonly attributed to the use of minoxidil. Did you just start that also?

deng

Reaction score
No, for now I'm sticking to finasteride only, was thinking of adding topicals later only if necessary (I'm a mild diffuse thinner, and I'd be glad to just keep things the way they are). I just hope finasteride isn't biting me in the *** in some weird way, hopefully more body hair doesn't have to imply more DHT.. Anyway, I was expecting less body hair when starting finasteride (the amount of body hair in itself is not a problem though, I don't have much of it except on the chest area).

G

deng said:
No, for now I'm sticking to finasteride only, was thinking of adding topicals later only if necessary (I'm a mild diffuse thinner, and I'd be glad to just keep things the way they are). I just hope finasteride isn't biting me in the *** in some weird way, hopefully more body hair doesn't have to imply more DHT.. Anyway, I was expecting less body hair when starting finasteride (the amount of body hair in itself is not a problem though, I don't have much of it except on the chest area).

I don;t know of any connection between body hair and scalp hair. Certainly, there are tons of guys with male pattern baldness and tons of body hair.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
DHT does promote more body hair. Several things can be causing what you're experiencing :

1) The androgen receptors at your body hair follicles are upregulating due to the drop in DHT. Meaning they are becoming MORE sensitive to DHT due to the recent drop to compensate. This should level out soon. I've gone through periods of increased AND decreased body hair during my propecia usage.

2) Natural progression of your body hair happening as a coincidence.

3) Rise in DHT due to propecia (reflex hypoandro).. very doubtful tho since your scalp hair is OK.

I'm betting number one is the most probable in your case.. just be thankful it's not effecting your scalp. It should normalize soon.. worry not.

Trilidon

Established Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was testosterone that had an effect on body hair.

Guess it makes sense dht is just a more powerful version of it

deng

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll just keep another paranoid eye aimed for the scalp and keep going. Btw, I don't have other symptoms of reflex hypandro (acne, oily skin, or highly elevated libido (well, maybe just a tad higher, def not lower..)), so with a little luck it's not that. Had extra acne during the first weeks of finasteride, though. A good sign (I guess) is that I haven't had a tingly scalp since starting finasteride, I periodically had that problem before.