Does Anyone Use Different Derma Roller Size On Different Areas Of Scalp

AllenA

My Regimen
Reaction score
i currently use 1.0 mm once per week for collagen stimulation.

I think that most of know you the frontal area hurts and may bleed more than other areas, especially as we get close to the forehead. But I also noticed that my crown can handle more and bleeds a lot less that even the top of my head. I did not notice any threads discussing this. That said has anyone noticed the same thing and would it make sense to go deeper in the crown for at least collagen stimulation? Has anyone tried different sizes for the different areas of the head for the same purpose: collagen stimulation?

Outsider626

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Once a week is not enough my man. You have to use at least 5 days a week. That's what i do on my temples. No bleeding or anything in that nature. I also use 1.0 with Lavender oil.

AllenA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Once a week is not enough my man. You have to use at least 5 days a week. That's what i do on my temples. No bleeding or anything in that nature. I also use 1.0 with Lavender oil.

I am getting myself and my scalp getting used to it. Started with 0.25 every few days 2 months ago. Moved to 0.5 every 2 days and 1.0 once per week a few weeks ago. Planning on moving to 1.5 once per week and 0.5 every day if possible and once I am ready. But that’s not my question.

As posted above, do you feel that your crown can handle deeper needles for the purpose of wounding? I just treated earlier today and barely any bleeding even in the front but I still feel that my crown can handle deeper. Does anyone else feel the same?

AllenA

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Somebody, would love to hear from you as you have lots of experience with DR. Been reading your story for some time now, thanks for all the info.

All, let me ask different questions with the same outcome...

If using the same size, Do you ever put more pressure in certain scalp areas? Do certain areas get less redness / bleeding? Not promoting bleeding, just asking. If you do apply more pressure in certain areas, for me crown, should we maybe consistently do this? Or use longer DR needles?

Maybe you apply DR for a longer period of time in certain balding areas because you feel that your scalp in that spot can take it. I try to shy away from close to forehead as it hurts but I can put more pressure in the back.

Finally, maybe you apply DR more frequently in certain areas, yet again because you feel that those areas can handle it.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score

It depends on what your purpose is

If it's wounding, then 1x a week is plenty and should probably not be exceeded

If you're rolling for absorption purposes, lightly without wounding, then yes multiple days a week is good

Somebody

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If using the same size, Do you ever put more pressure in certain scalp areas?
Yes, on top of my scalp.

Or use longer DR needles?
I use same needle length. (but sometimes different dermarollers. Optimal).

Maybe you apply DR for a longer period of time in certain balding areas because you feel that your scalp in that spot can take it. I try to shy away from close to forehead as it hurts but I can put more pressure in the back.
Forhead is always most sensetive and painful. As you I can handle more pressure in the top.

Finally, maybe you apply DR more frequently in certain areas, yet again because you feel that those areas can handle it.
Right now I do, because I have let my top get less rulling then front. Also I still take two days off every secound week. Or take a break, when my scalp becomes to sensetive.

P.S I do it for absorption and lightly without wounding (or bleeding) and my scalp can handle it.

AllenA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks jk, Somebody.

So if Somebody if applying more pressure in the back and I also feel that my crown can handle it then maybe there is something to my assumption. I know that Somebody uses it for absorsion mostly but regardless, he still uses 1.5. I assume that absorption depth and collagen production depth should be relative in different areas. Meaning if crown needs 1.5 for collagen production and 0.75 for absorption then front maybe requires something like 0.5 for collagen and 0.25 for absorption (very unscientific I know but maybe logical).

I for one will try to use different sizes to experiment with my threasholds. Just ordered a 1.5 and will try next time max pressure I can handle in front middle and back for absorption (redness only) and wounding (red pricks but no excessive bleeding). But I am traveling next week so I’ll try to report back when I can. I want to see What my scalp areas can handle with max pressure (no holding back) to get the same degree of redness of pricks/ blood dots with different sizes in different areas. Since I shave my head I will be able to see clearly. The way I will do it is to apply max pressure with different sizes and when I prick / small blood drop comes out I’ll know exactly that I’ve achieved wounding there. The smaller size can be used for absorption. I’ll use 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5.

In the meantime, If anyone else out there have the same experience or is willing to pay attention as they DR, please to let us know.

AllenA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is my follow up and the start of my quasi-scientific experiment. To be clear, I will try to find my scalp's thickness in different zones assuming that a drop of blood indicates the same depth. I will then map different DR sizes to different zones of my scalp. I will try to keep the same pressure across my scalp while doing this. Some may argue that a drop of blood is not an indication of collagen production. I can't argue with this right now and that is not the goal of the experiment, yet! That can be a follow up discussion.

I also figured that to do the experiment properly, I cannot treat on the same day different DR sizes as each application will skew the next. The treatments must be performed sufficiently apart so they are independent of each other. So, I will use my weekly treatment which I perform for the purpose of collagen production. I do treat everyday or every other day for absorption also but I assume that this will not skew the results as the absorption treatment will be performed consistently.

To conduct the experiment, I will always use DRs with 540 needles, meaning the same width DR. The treatment will be across the complete NW7 area and will consist of the suggested application of 4-5 rolls in the 4 known axes. I plan to use any size available to achieve the goal from 0.25 to larger. I made a mistake ordering another 0.25 (which I already have) instead of a 1.5mm but will get it this week. I don't have a 0.75 right now but may need to order it if the 0.5 and 1.00 are too far apart. I am starting with a 1.00 mm on my complete scalp and will increase or decrease the size on the next treatment (1 week later) to achieve uniform visual blood drops, same density and same pattern. I mention pattern because in certain zones I get streaks of drops (can be seen in pics). The adjustments will be as follows:
- The drops of blood need to be visual but the smallest possible. Comparing all the drops on my scalp, the smallest sized drop will be the goal. If certain zones have larger drops then a decrease in size is needed as long as drops can still be seen.
- Density needs to be the maximum possible non-touching drops per inch. I will not try micro adjust for zones which are smaller than 1 inch as it would be too tedious. If the drops are touching then a smaller size is warranted. If they are too far apart and other drops can fit in between, an increase in size should be used.
- If streaks are perceived, a decrease in size is probably warranted.
- I will ignore differences in skin redness in this experiment.

Finally, my first pictures with a DR of 1.00 mm. You can see in the frontal picture the redness which indicates where I applied the DR. Certain zones do not have any drops while other zones have streaks (red ovals) which in my current opinion is too much. The crown picture shows some drops also but they are very disparate and the redness cannot be seen even though I applied the same treatment. The DR did flake my scalp but I wanted to take the picture right away so here we are. I will use those pictures the next time to guide me with different sizes and as you can tell, I need a larger size for most zones but will try the 0.5 where I have streaks. I like the density in certain parts of the zones I squared in green as you can see the blood drops but they are very small. I will also change my regimen to shave a day before and DR the next day (I do the oppose now) so that it is easier to see the drops clearly.

IMG_0867.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

AllenA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok guys, so it's been 2 weeks and 2 Dermaroller sessions since. I have some interesting information. Last week, I performed the DR by myself with a 1.5. This week, my wife did the crown with a 1.5 and I did the middle and front with a 1.0. In last week's picture, even though I used 1.5 everywhere, you can see that wounding was not as effective even though, I promise you, I was trying to push the hardest I could. Even while my nerves were getting to me, I was fighting pretty hard and thought that I was going the deepest possible. I went over and over certain zones and just could not get wounding. You can see in today's application, using only a 1.0mm, the whole middle-front area is very well wounded. I still had to fight my nerves but it seemed the 1.0 was doing a very nice job without too much effort. I am also very happy with the results in the crown area as my wife was able to get good coverage. So my current conclusion is that 1.0 is good enough for my middle/front and a 1.5 mm is good for my crown. But maybe my scalp is changing, getting more sensitive or softer, healthier with more blood vessels and that is why the 1.0 is wounding? Not sure... In either case, I will ask my wife to use a 1.0 next week on the crown to see if we can get the same good results as in the front with a 1.0mm.

BTW, I am no longer concerned with streaks as I think they are to be expected.

The pictures on the left are from last week, performed by me with 1.5
The pictures on the right are from this week using 1.5 in the back and 1.0 in the orange rectangle
I also added all originals as thumbs for closeups. I know the older ones are not great quality but that's not important here.
DR 1.5 vs 1.0.png

IMG_0882.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0946.JPG IMG_0947.JPG

AllenA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Btw, if anyone is wondering, I wait 3 hours and rinse it all off. Clean as a whistle with no indication what so ever that it ever looked like that just before.

AllenA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, 2 more weeks and here are the results with only DR 1.0mm. Left is 1 week ago. Right is today. Comparing with my previous posting's right pictures, I can't see a big difference between the 1.5mm and 1.0mm. But in both cases, not all zones are getting the same wounding. Once again, nerves are playing a role in the front where I apply the treatment (no numbing agent). The back, where my wife does it, is not so smooth so the application is pretty tough to perform uniformally.

Interestingly though, it seems as if the most wounding happens in today's picture where I have the least amount of hair. It's as if even with such short hair, there is interference. If that is true, then maybe using the 1.00mm on the naked scalp and 1.5mm where I have some density makes sense.

DR Apr 8 - 15.jpg

On the up side, I am getting regrowth and denser hair. My crown is getting more coverage. Of course the question remains, is it attributed to this treatment or other things I am doing.