Does anyone here even use full head bond with liquid adhesive besides me?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
LACE BASE

It seems everyone's taping. If you only use liquid adhesive, why do you do it?
For me the reason is that it's likely healthier. It could be more secure and longer lasting too? But applying the 4 (prohairlabs' website now even suggests 5) layers of glue and waiting 4--10 mins afterwards and doing it twice, because front half and back half need to be done separetly for perfect alignment takes time. Also cleaning up a whole base covered with glue takes time.
So I will be probably checking every few years, whether there is a more comofrtable option (a healthy tape or a water based adhesive that requires less layers).

Last edited:

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends if you're using UTS/poly or lace.

UTS for me and all-over liquid bond. I use only 1 layer and sometimes 2 if I want a stronger hold. Takes maybe 30 minutes end-to-end, including removal and clean-up.

I do this weekly so that I get a clean fit regularly. Also with UTS the hairline needs more regular attention.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Lets talk about lace only.
I used full head liquid adhesive for a couple years. I've moved away from that and use tape now. But I liked the fit, feel of bond much better, but in Texas, the sun just gets too hot and the bond breaks down really quickly. I was doing every other week maintenace, but in the summer time, that just wasn't long enough. When the bond breaks down, it seeps through the base and into the hair, and it's amess to clean up, and is really hard on the hair as well. Also, cleaning the system, your scalp - that whole process was just a huge task I dreaded doing - and inevitably let go one day too long almost every single time.

If I were in a cool climate, than I would give it another go. But not as long as I live in this hot region.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I used full head liquid adhesive for a couple years. I've moved away from that and use tape now. But I liked the fit, feel of bond much better, but in Texas, the sun just gets too hot and the bond breaks down really quickly. I was doing every other week maintenace, but in the summer time, that just wasn't long enough. When the bond breaks down, it seeps through the base and into the hair, and it's amess to clean up, and is really hard on the hair as well. Also, cleaning the system, your scalp - that whole process was just a huge task I dreaded doing - and inevitably let go one day too long almost every single time.

If I were in a cool climate, than I would give it another go. But not as long as I live in this hot region.
How did you clean it up? I have the same problem, as I like to reattach every 4 weeks. What does it do to the hair?

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Depends if you're using UTS/poly or lace.

UTS for me and all-over liquid bond. I use only 1 layer and sometimes 2 if I want a stronger hold. Takes maybe 30 minutes end-to-end, including removal and clean-up.

I do this weekly so that I get a clean fit regularly. Also with UTS the hairline needs more regular attention.
Dude 30 mins? Takes me like an hour to remove/clean, and then another 30 to reinstall.

What bond are you using? What are you using to break down the bond and clean up?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude 30 mins? Takes me like an hour to remove/clean, and then another 30 to reinstall.

What bond are you using? What are you using to break down the bond and clean up?

I use white bond, currently Ghost Bond Platinum. I don't see much difference between the brands though.

I only use 1 layer of bond, which gives a 5 to 7 day hold on average. Sometimes I have to re-do the hairline in-between if I'm going out and want to style the hair up or back.

So the 1 layer breaks down after 5 days or so and is easy enough to scrape/roll off my scalp. I use tissues to dab it off the UTS base, or again just roll it off. I don't use anything other than warm water and dish-washing liquid.

The more layers of bond you use, the messier the clean-up will be and the longer it will take. I'm not into long-term holds either, because I find it far more hygenic and 'fresh' feeling to re-bond every week or so.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Doesn't it feel unsafe with only 1 layer? Anyone done 1 layer with lace base too? Can't imagine myself daring to do that.

jeepwrangler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't it feel unsafe with only 1 layer? Anyone done 1 layer with lace base too? Can't imagine myself daring to do that.
No experience with lace but 1 layer on poly gets me to about day 5 before it starts lifting at the back.
If I were going skydiving or swimming then I'd definitely double layer.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 2 layers of ghost bond, always secure as anything...although i detach after a week, but peoples skin/.body chemistry are different some might be ok with one some may need more.