Does a weekly maintenance/detachment shorten lifespan of a hair system?

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I do a weekly attachment as my bond does not last longer than 7-8 days due to my body chemistry etc

I have a severe problem with my hair systems in that they don’t last very long. I get 2-3 months out of it max. I shampoo and condition once a week and let the hair get wet in the shower once or twice a week.

i wear full lace with 90% density and attach with just a tape perimeter. I’m not sure where I’m going wrong or why it’s shedding so much but I’m beginning to think maybe it’s because I take it off weekly.

the main causes of premature shedding based on this forum is over washing, pulling system off before alcohol has loosened adhesive and/or a poorly made system.

I don’t feel these apply to me and I get my hair systems from Lavivid which seems to be a good company so I don’t think it’s an issue of a poor system.

Its just frustrating seeing so many hairs come out when combing and brushing it everyday. Any advice please?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I do a weekly attachment as my bond does not last longer than 7-8 days due to my body chemistry etc

I have a severe problem with my hair systems in that they don’t last very long. I get 2-3 months out of it max. I shampoo and condition once a week and let the hair get wet in the shower once or twice a week.

i wear full lace with 90% density and attach with just a tape perimeter. I’m not sure where I’m going wrong or why it’s shedding so much but I’m beginning to think maybe it’s because I take it off weekly.

the main causes of premature shedding based on this forum is over washing, pulling system off before alcohol has loosened adhesive and/or a poorly made system.

I don’t feel these apply to me and I get my hair systems from Lavivid which seems to be a good company so I don’t think it’s an issue of a poor system.

Its just frustrating seeing so many hairs come out when combing and brushing it everyday. Any advice please?
I'm in the same boat as you, however I use a thin skin. Yes, the more you handle it, the more it will shed, regardless of base type. The best advice I can give, is to keep it well conditioned to slow breakage. And don't strive too much for absolute perfection. What I mean by that, is don't keep trimming the lace back at the hairline..too much
. as it thins... That is a never ending battle that causes further hairloss.

3 months is not bad. Keep it mind that's only 4 systems a year. You'll read countless people that try to get 8- 12 months out of a system. I don't know why. That's silly. I've been guilty myself... you get blind to the thinning, as you see yourself every day. When you change for a fresh unit you realize you let the previous one go a bit too..far... When you see what the airline should look like.

If you can get a solid 3 months out of a system and keep them looking good that's what I would do. That's under a $1000 a year, roughly.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha that was something I actually discussed at the salon in regards to maybe trimming the lace back to extend the longevity. The problem with that is it would make the hair line look a bit receded so I wasn’t too keen.

when you say well conditioned do you mean with leave in conditioner or the type of conditioner you use when washing the hair? I only condition it once a week, should I be doing it more frequent?

2 months in and already will need to be using concealers to hide the thinning. So annoying

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha that was something I actually discussed at the salon in regards to maybe trimming the lace back to extend the longevity. The problem with that is it would make the hair line look a bit receded so I wasn’t too keen.

when you say well conditioned do you mean with leave in conditioner or the type of conditioner you use when washing the hair? I only condition it once a week, should I be doing it more frequent?

2 months in and already will need to be using concealers to hide the thinning. So annoying
Both. Regular conditioner after shampooing, and for a leave in... I'm a strong proponent for pure JOJOBA oil. As that is the closest substance to mimic natural sebum, that your body produces on your scalp.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do weekly maintenance and get around 9+ months per unit (with 0 need for concealer). My current unit is from April and is still going strong. I’ll only shorten the lifespan if I want a different hair length. However, I have French lace and I don’t expose my hairline. So, that probably gives me more flexibility. Where is the thinning? Sometimes, stylists thin the crown too much, to create more “realism”….. i tell mine to never f with the crown.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do weekly maintenance and get around 9+ months per unit (with 0 need for concealer). My current unit is from April and is still going strong. I’ll only shorten the lifespan if I want a different hair length. However, I have French lace and I don’t expose my hairline. So, that probably gives me more flexibility. Where is the thinning? Sometimes, stylists thin the crown too much, to create more “realism”….. i tell mine to never f with the crown.
Typically, a unit has to be replaced, most frequently due to losing hair at the hairline.....

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Typically, a unit has to be replaced, most frequently due to losing hair at the hairline.....
Hence, why I said I get more time, partially, due to not having an exposed hairline. Thanks, captain obvious lol.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hence, why I said I get more time, partially, due to not having an exposed hairline. Thanks, captain obvious lol.
Captain Obvious? You're the one that asked where the thinning was. Do you normally ask things that are, universally know , common sense, and well....obvious? And call those that answer your question, captain obvious?

Here we go. A simpleton wanting to call childish names. I believe you'd be captain obvious... pointing out, someone with a mop on their head, that doesn't expose anything, last longer.

A synthetic Halloween store wig can last year's. Thank you for pointing out, what all of us were unable to realize... I can wear the same pair of underwear for 5 years, but I wouldn't.. You're nearly a year on a system. I'm sure it looks great!.... You truly are a valuable resource.

You should post some photographs, so we all have something to aspire to.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where is your system from and what density was it? Maybe cos I’m at 90% density it thins out quicker. And yeah mainly at the hairline area

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where is your system from and what density was it? Maybe cos I’m at 90% density it thins out quicker. And yeah mainly at the hairline area
Can you try a higher density on your next unit to try and get some extra life out of it?

It's a shame that you're being so diligent with maintenence and it may actually be shortening the lifespan.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you try a higher density on your next unit to try and get some extra life out of it?

It's a shame that you're being so diligent with maintenence and it may actually be shortening the lifespan.
It's a difficult balancing act. Too dense and it looks silly, until it sheds. Or, with proper density, it looks great from the beginning, but doesn't last as long. I personally would go for the latter.

To me, that's like people that buy their children shoes that are too big... because "they'll grow into them". That just means they'll never be right...... Doesn't buy you any time, or save you any money in actuality.

Nigelw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a difficult balancing act. Too dense and it looks silly, until it sheds. Or, with proper density, it looks great from the beginning, but doesn't last as long. I personally would go for the latter.

To me, that's like people that buy their children shoes that are too big... because "they'll grow into them". That just means they'll never be right...... Doesn't buy you any time, or save you any money in actuality.
Ah I see, makes sense. Best to be on the conservative side with systems, realism over longevity definitely!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no problems doing a weekly maintenance. My systems last for quite a long time.

A couple of caveats, my systems are 90% synthetic, and I switch, often. The newest system I have is brand new, and the oldest, the ones' that are almost a recon/short viking style are three years old. They are only worn in summer when I have as little hair as possible, and even in the hot, Middle-eastern sun, they still look realistic. The oldest one (3 years) is not going to make another summer, and is headed for the bin.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All other things being equal, I would say yes as there is a degree of wear and tear in deteching (pulling) and chemicals applied to clean ups.

The positive side, is a freshly attached piece is rather nice. Work with your body and environment which will tell you when you need to reattach.

Shedding will either be poor knotting or abrasive brushing. A piece shouldnt have shedding issues that soon in my experience

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
All other things being equal, I would say yes as there is a degree of wear and tear in deteching (pulling) and chemicals applied to clean ups.

The positive side, is a freshly attached piece is rather nice. Work with your body and environment which will tell you when you need to reattach.

Shedding will either be poor knotting or abrasive brushing. A piece shouldnt have shedding issues that soon in my experience
Although many people get more time from systems, this has never been suggested nor claimed by vendors. Manufacturers have always Stated 2-3 months with lace, and 30 day on thin skin. It's great that most people are able to get much longer. However we should be mindful that doing so, does not move the standard of normal, changing what is to be expected of a system.

Getting 2 or 3 months on lace, or 1 month on .03 poly would be normal with proper care, more would simply be a bonus.

However 15-20% less duration happens, and doesn't automatically mean the system is faulty.

This is no different than people ignoring a 5k mile oil change interval on their vehicle. Opting to change at 15k miles. Claiming, no one has a problem that they know of, with a 15k interval.

When people start having engine troubles, 10k miles after an oil change,
they claim it's a problem with the vehicle. No, you created a new expectation in your mind, going against what the manufacturer has stated clearly from the beginning.
As I always say, something is never a problem until it's a problem.

Just remember what the expectation is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm afraid it will look silly because I have very thin sides and back and go for a skin fade look and the lower density works well for me.

Although many people get more time from systems, this has never been suggested nor claimed by vendors. Manufacturers have always Stated 2-3 months with lace, and 30 day on thin skin. It's great that most people are able to get much longer. However we should be mindful that doing so, does not move the standard of normal, changing what is to be expected of a system.

Getting 2 or 3 months on lace, or 1 month on .03 poly would be normal with proper care, more would simply be a bonus.

However 15-20% less duration happens, and doesn't automatically mean the system is faulty.

This is no different than people ignoring a 5k mile oil change interval on their vehicle. Opting to change at 15k miles. Claiming, no one has a problem that they know of, with a 15k interval.

When people start having engine troubles, 10k miles after an oil change,
they claim it's a problem with the vehicle. No, you created a new expectation in your mind, going against what the manufacturer has stated clearly from the beginning.
As I always say, something is never a problem until it's a problem.

Just remember what the expectation is supposed to be.

Yeah I totally understand what you mean! Always have seen most vendors say the same in times of duration for lace and thin skin systems. Just feel a little disheartened that so many of you guys get so much longer than me - and having to pay for a new system and cut in every 3 months is annoying.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm afraid it will look silly because I have very thin sides and back and go for a skin fade look and the lower density works well for me.

Yeah I totally understand what you mean! Always have seen most vendors say the same in times of duration for lace and thin skin systems. Just feel a little disheartened that so many of you guys get so much longer than me - and having to pay for a new system and cut in every 3 months is annoying.
Always remember, the people bragging that they get exorbitant amounts of times have not shown Photographs from beginning to end. They could, and quite likely, look terrible.... atleast for a portion of that time.

1 of 2 things has to happen. Either they're wearing an overly dense unit for the 1st few months and it looks great once it sheds. Or it looks great from the beginning and they go far too long, losing hair, yet continue to wear.

I've been guilty of it myself. I'll think a system looks great after 3 months, but when I change to a new one I realized how terrible it actually was. Seeing ourselves everyday we get used to things that would otherwise stand out like a sore thumb to others. We don't realize the bald spot, or extreme sparseness at the hairline....until we fit a new one, and say...wow this looks great....comparatively.

Guys typically get haircuts every month..... So every 3 haircuts you get a new system. 4 times in the course of an entire year really isn't much.... And it keeps things looking their best.

Hair system talk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Always remember, the people bragging that they get exorbitant amounts of times have not shown Photographs from beginning to end. They could, and quite likely, look terrible.... atleast for a portion of that time.

1 of 2 things has to happen. Either they're wearing an overly dense unit for the 1st few months and it looks great once it sheds. Or it looks great from the beginning and they go far too long, losing hair, yet continue to wear.

I've been guilty of it myself. I'll think a system looks great after 3 months, but when I change to a new one I realized how terrible it actually was. Seeing ourselves everyday we get used to things that would otherwise stand out like a sore thumb to others. We don't realize the bald spot, or extreme sparseness at the hairline....until we fit a new one, and say...wow this looks great....comparatively.

Guys typically get haircuts every month..... So every 3 haircuts you get a new system. 4 times in the course of an entire year really isn't much.... And it keeps things looking their best.
Yeah i guess so!

Thinking about it like that certainly makes me feel a lot better about it.

From a cost point of view i'd ideally like to cut it down to 3 systems a year but 4 isn't that bad either.