DOCTOR SAID I SHOULD JUST SHAVE MY HEAD AND FORGET PROPECIA?

ru1

Reaction score
Hi all I recentely asked my Doctor about propecia because of my male pattern baldness which hasnt progressed much in 4 years and he said stay away from it? I dont think he really knew much about it to be honest but he said try regaine? Obviously i need to get a prescription from him to get propecia so i don't know what to do?

Cheers

Ru!

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My doctor was fairly ignorant about Propecia and male pattern baldness in general but she was happy to prescribe it once I had insisted (and clearly demonstrated a greater understanding of it).

However, what I suggest you do is some research into the drug and to other peoples experiences with it and make up your own mind about whether it's for you or not.

If you decide you do want it, you can either; insist that your current GP prescribes it, or get a new GP or (absolute last resort) purchase it off the internet.

ru1

Reaction score
Thanks mate you've been a great help!! Will do my research now. Will regaine regrow hair? or is it just supposed to stop the loss?

Many thanks

Ru

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no worries blad :)

Regaine/Rogaine (Minoxidil) is a growth stimulant and will help regrow any lost hair. Some people have had amazing results with it. It won't prevent your hair from falling out though, this is what Propecia (finasteride) is for. [Rogaine can give the illusion that it's preventing hair loss but you'll eventually lose the battle. Combining with finasteride will lengthen it's effectiveness for ages..]

These two, along with a shampoo called Nizoral form what we call the "Big 3". Getting on this is the single most effective way to combat hair loss.

So, if your hairloss isn't too bad, just take finasteride and Nizoral. Or if you've lost a fair bit, then you might want to add Rogaine too.

hope that helps, just ask if you have any other questions yeah?

G

I today went to a derm because of skin problems. Thought i might ask him for an Avodart script as well. He didn´t know what it is :dunno:

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont know. Just because a doctor says something like that doesnt mean hes wrong. Its more the opinion of the doctor hes giving you more then anything. Some doctors are much more reluctant to prescribe medications then others. Who is to say he is wrong? the argument could be made people should be taking a lot less prescriptions in general. In general you shouldnt be taking any drug unless you have too its not exactly a flint stone vitamin. The doctor can highly advise you dont take any medication. You can demand he give you it, then he should or risk losing a patient. No one though can say hes wrong for advising you shave your head its a legitimate choice and probably safer for you physically then changing your hormones.

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
Tell him you want Propecia anyway. If you force his hand he'll probably give up and prescribe it. It's not like it's ecstasy or anything.

P.S. My mother is a cardiologist and prescribed me Propecia the second I asked for it. Most doctors don't think twice, because the side-effect profile is so good.

Meddller

Reaction score
If you want it bad enough speak to another doctor.
Do you have walk in clinics in the U.K.? That's the thing that sucks about Propecia if you want a prescription it's in the doctor's hands. Telling you to shave your head dosen't sound like your Doctor has much compassion. I got my perscription from a dermatologist, they seem to have the most experience with it.

abcdefg

Reaction score
yeah if u say u want it he might advise whatever but say you want it again he will give it to you he wants money and u as a patient. My dermatologist said it a very safe drug and didnt even mention the gyno only the very rare sexual sides. So im guessing he hasnt even seen gyno from anyone and he said he has lots of patients on propecia. That makes me very confident the people complaining of sides on these forums are the minority of users that have problems like others have said. I believe a real world dermatologist over people in a forum but thats just me.

bustabucket

Established Member
Reaction score
I shave my head AND take propecia. Shaved heads still look better when you have more hair.

ru1

Reaction score
Thanks guys i'll try and get some asap and combine with regaine will let you know my progress! :)