Doctor refused to prescribe me Propecia as it "doesn't work" against genetic hairloss

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
So I went to see my General Practitioner a couple of days ago (on my 23rd birthday no less) and she refused to prescribe me Propecia saying that it was ineffective against genetic male pattern baldness along with other products like Minoxidil. She booked me in for a blood test tomorrow to check my thyroid and iron levels to see if that a possible "mineral deficiency" was the cause of my hairloss. I told her I eat a fair bit of organ meat so an iron deficiency can't be the case.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Everyone would be balding if a mineral/vitamin deficiency caused that. Because the vast majority of the general public are deficient in a lot of things.

:roll::roll:

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
First dermatologist I've been to laughed in my face and said medications will turn me into a woman. Find another one, some doctors really have to idea what they're doing.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Most GP's dont know anything about hairloss, your better off trying to get a script from a derm or hair transplant surgeon.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sorry about what happened MI92. Many doctors unfortunately aren't very educated about hair loss.

I recommend that you go make an appointment to see a hair transplant surgeon, they're the doctors who specialize in hair loss. Have the one who ever you see write you a prescription for Finasteride so you can start taking the medication to treat your Androgenetic Alopecia. I also suggest to do all what I recommended ASAP so your hair loss doesn't keep getting worse.

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Funny thing is, the doctors/GP here operate under the NHS (National Health Service) and it says on the NHS site that Propecia is used to treat male pattern baldness, so not sure how she came up with the idea that it doesn't considering her employers say it does. If I can't get a prescription I'll probably just end up purchasing some generic fina online.

mrmat15

Reaction score
I heard that propecia pills have bad side effects and arent very healthy is that true?

MI92

Established Member
Reaction score
I heard that propecia pills have bad side effects and arent very healthy is that true?
Yes there are potential side effects such as decreased libido, gyno etc. but they seem to be very individual from the accounts I have read. Unfortunately they are our best bet in our battle against hairloss. If finasteride (Propecia) will save what I have left on my head or even delay the inevitable for a while then I'll have to gamble.

zdm632

Established Member
Reaction score
So I went to see my General Practitioner a couple of days ago (on my 23rd birthday no less) and she refused to prescribe me Propecia saying that it was ineffective against genetic male pattern baldness along with other products like Minoxidil. She booked me in for a blood test tomorrow to check my thyroid and iron levels to see if that a possible "mineral deficiency" was the cause of my hairloss. I told her I eat a fair bit of organ meat so an iron deficiency can't be the case.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Everyone would be balding if a mineral/vitamin deficiency caused that. Because the vast majority of the general public are deficient in a lot of things.

:roll::roll:

She is incompetent as hell.

mrmat15

Reaction score
I'm just scared propecia will mess with something that makes me less athletic. I know it sounds stupid but I'm sort of weird like that.