Do you think the itchiness/crawling sensation some of us get is psychological?

Do you have an itchy scalp?

• Total voters

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm aware that there are several threads on the internet in regard to this subject, but it's always interesting to see new opinions and perspectives. From December 2020 to March this year, I suffered with an insane itching sensation, sometimes disguised as tingles on multiple parts of my scalp, especially my middle part. It was evident that I was losing hair in that area, although I have already recovered most of what I had lost by now. Thing is, the crawling/tingling is mostly gone, but I do get an itchy scalp sometimes, especially if I'm standing idle. When I play video games, workout, study or do any activity that requires focus I never feel anything. That is, until the hair subject comes to my mind. Whenever this happens, my scalp itches. Not the full scalp, only a few spots. It's not something as insufferable as it was before, in fact it feels more like dandruff, but I avoid touching/scratching my scalp at all, unless I'm washing it. And to be honest, it still bothers me.

This problem messed my head so badly that I can't remember if I had this way before I started having hair problems. I read somewhere that it has something to do with substance 'P', but who knows.

So, what's your opinion?

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The mind can make virtually any symptom appear. This one is no great feat.

fearofthereaper

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's the norwood reaper stroking his scythe over your hair, showing you how easy he could pluck it off

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me it's definitely psychological because I never had the itch when hair loss wasn't on my mind even though it was happening. I think the itchiness can be caused by pulling your hair up to see the hairline often or just fidgeting with your hair.

Justlookin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Inflammation is a big part of male pattern baldness. Whenever I drop something anti-androgenic from my regimen, I'll start getting spots on my head and tingling before i notice any thinning. If your scalp DHT is under control, you shouldn't feel it. Unless maybe you're allergic to the PPG in minoxidil. But if you were allergic to PPG, you'd probably know

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me it's real. Many people can be mentally susceptible but that's not my case. Anytime that I feel this insane scalp pain my hairloss is wrecking havoc.

Instantly I do multiple topical treatments to adress the issue. Anytime that I dont have scalp pain my shedding is very low.
Yeah same. I spent like two months without it and then suddenly it kicks in again. I have no idea what might have caused it, but I'm fairly sure that my shedding has increased due to the itch, even though I die but don't scratch my head at all.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
For me it's real. Many people can be mentally susceptible but that's not my case. Anytime that I feel this insane scalp pain my hairloss is wrecking havoc.

Instantly I do multiple topical treatments to adress the issue. Anytime that I dont have scalp pain my shedding is very low.
What is your topical regimen?

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
I do not have limitations.

Today I microneedled the Avodart gel formulation mixed with minoxidil into my scalp and I've had relief with my itching and pain, which had been unbearable for 2 weeks. Shedding was instantly reduced too.
I even did it on my forehead to make sure I cover anything close to the hairline - and other areas but that was not related to hairloss.

Something that caught my attention is that I felt dizzy for a few hours. I never had something like that using high oral doses... it makes me believe that there was a considerable number of local 5AR enzymes that were still functional and after coming in contact with the compound caused this "side effect".
How much avodart do you use?

Danjellyman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This topic is of great interest to me. Been losing hair for 6 years or so and the itch/tingles have been present the entire time. No doctor/derm had remotely acknowledged the itching/tingling in relation to male pattern baldness and the theories of increased scalp DHT or inflammation. I wish we could just know one way or another with some level of certainty about the it.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went to a thricologist last year and she told me it was probably psychological, because my scalp couldn't be cleaner when she inspected it with that microscope thing. But as some of us proven in this thread, there is something else going on indicating that the itchiness is an actual sign of shedding/hair loss.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't believe it's because one's scalp is dirty at all... at least not in many cases.
My younger brother is a volleyball player and he sweats every single day, sometimes he even stretches the washes, and when I ask him if his scalp is itchy he says that the only occasion where it gets itchy is when he plays beach volleyball, probably caused by the sand grains that end up on his hair

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it's not something related to the DHT is probably stress-anxiety induced. Hair loss is something that traumatized us so badly that probably left this itchiness/tingling as a scar, just to remind us what we are dealing with, every single day