Do you tell people you are treating your hair loss?

Do people know you are treating your hair loss?

• Total voters

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you?

I don't. I am quite embarrassed by it so I am really secretive about it. I was also really shy when I went to pick up my prescription, that I went in a hat :shock:

Do people know you are on medication/treatment for hair loss?

K

Kirby

No, generally. The only person I've told is my girlfriend... Who's, unfortunately, in complete denial that I have hairloss, and spouts rubbish like "some people just have thin hair in patches, my sister has thin hair". :(

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Kirby said:
No, generally. The only person I've told is my girlfriend... Who's, unfortunately, in complete denial that I have hairloss, and spouts rubbish like "some people just have thin hair in patches, my sister has thin hair". :(

The worse critics are people who are close to you; they will lie to keep you happy.

It's like the classic "does my bum look big in this", the answer will be "no" but they mean "yes"... kind of thing.

I think I don't tell anyone because I was in denial for a long time. I put it down to other things like diet (which is pretty great anyway; I convinced myself it needed to be 10 times better) but life is too short to pander around and I just admitted I was going bald... but I won't to other people!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do. It doesn't appear to change anyone's perception of me and I've found that self-deprecating humor makes for a lot of friends. Lets people know you aren't too stiff.

Northman

Established Member
Reaction score
Not generally. My wife knows, in fact she ordered me some finasteride. I think she like me better with the longer locks. :) I'm not embarrassed by it but figure there is no point in making any deal of it until there are noticeable results. If that happens I'll be more than happy to tell people.

K

Kirby

wstef said:
Kirby said:

The worse critics are people who are close to you; they will lie to keep you happy.

It's like the classic "does my bum look big in this", the answer will be "no" but they mean "yes"... kind of thing.
Nah, in her case it's complete denial. I've tried doing 'Norwood spotting' in public, I point out Norwood 3s, diffuse thinners, you name it, she just says "some people just have thin hair in patches", "that person has a high forehead", all nonsense. To her, going bald is a Norwood 5, anything else before that is just what people look like 'naturally'. It's depressing.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
Depending on the situation, I do.

The subject occasionally comes up at work and we talk about it, and I tell them that I've tried everything and that I use 3-4 different kinds of hairloss shampoos.

Even my flatmate's gf uses some anti-hairloss shampoo, so there is nothing to hide.

oldmpber

Established Member
Reaction score
Captain Combover said:
Its quite common knowlege around my friends that i treat my hairloss. Im very open about it, but probably didnt have much choice because after 4mths on minoxidil and finasteride, i had a lot of regrowth and thickening.

My friends girlfriends/wives think hairloss treatments are a waste of money and that they are a load of rubbish. I had one of them ask to rub my hair the other day and mess it up as she was convinced i had spray on hair on my head. Well i let her mess my hair up and thank fu*k she didnt try and mess up the crown area, as i had a little bit of concealor there.
My advice tell people! If you don't you will become secretive, which will make you appear insecure.

My cousin has wondered about my hair several times over the years and has beat around the bush asking if I was on something . The first time was about 10 years ago-She said that she was surprised I was not going bald like the rest of the men in the family-and then asked what my secret was. Then last year at a family get together we were outside playing baseball and riding motorcycles. It was hot and after taking my helmet off my hair was somewhat damp. I was sitting in a lawn chair and she must have seen something when she came up behind me. She then rubbed her fingers around my hairline and said - Well you still have most of it- or something like that. She must have figured it out by now so probably last I will hear about it. male pattern baldness is all over that side of the family and I have her dad's pattern. Guess she was wanting to see if it was still being passed around as her boys are getting to the starting age now.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that it seems most people don't tell others.

Are we really that vain? I guess we are. Vain, shy... embarrassed. Life, ey!

I'm about to move back in with my mum for a couple of months whilst I arrange my place (didn't anticipate such a delay!) so that's going to be hard... I think I'll just tell my family because it's probably more embarrassing if they wonder what I am doing or wonder what the rabdom long thing in my pocket is, when I try to disguise the can of Regaine when I go to the bathroom.

Zeroman

Banned
Reaction score
hey, we got this genetic condition early, i'm doing the best i can with what medications we have

gtfo if you are going to criticize me for it.

"the best you can do is all that you can do" :dunno:

idc i tell people, why be insecure or nervous about it? it only increases any embarassment one would have