Do you notice other Guy's Hair Loss?

Do you notice other Guy's Hair Loss?

• Total voters

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Just curious ... how much we really pay attention?

Realize - most people don't care about hair loss 1/10th as much as we do.

Then realize - most people don't pay attention even 1/10th as much as we do.

Then feel better because when you're walking around, 90% of people who are not losing hair aren't even thinking about how your hair looks.

One difficult thing about this condition is that you think everyone's glaring at your hair.

I realized one day however that when someone asked me how many of my coworkers were balding, I didnt know the answer! I realized that I would have had to make a special effort to really even notice such a thing. Thats when I realized that most people you pass by on the street are not even looking at or thinking about your hair. That made me feel much much better.

Whatever level we pay attention to it - non-balders pay attention to it even less. Reason to feel good, I think.

But how much do we notice it in others?

HairLossTalk.com

The Gardener

Reaction score
Good question and an interesting topic, HairLossTalk.com.

I used to be very conscious of my hairloss, and would constantly look at others' hairloss, comparing their situations to mine. This did not last long... after a while, I realized that there were male pattern baldness people all around me, and they all seemed to be functioning just fine, without shame.

For younger people I have a great deal of sympathy. In High School, having premature male pattern baldness must be very traumatic. But, for someone in their mid 20's or later, it starts to become very common.

Additionally, one of the things that helped me get past that initial unacceptance of my own male pattern baldness was the realization in my late 20's that I see male pattern baldness guys walking around with girlfriends just as hot as the non-male pattern baldness guys.

Shave my poodle

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I had hairloss = not really
After I had hairloss = all the time

SE-freak

Reaction score
Yes. All the time. Since my hairloss started bothering me.

I think we have all become experts on tracing "concealed" things , or things "to come". I have even traced suspicious thinning to some of my younger friends but I couldn't say something. I don't want to wake them up cause they are blissfully ignorant.

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
I notice all the time and i can't stop myself... i don't know why i care about other peoples hair problems so much now.

Before i started losing my hair i really didn't pay attention to those that were balding.

G

a frightening and disturbing outcome.

Just who are those 3 liars?

Own up.

G

I notice it all the time.

I check out virtually everyones hairline for recession and clever haircuts that hide balding temples.

I have only ever seen one person where i recognised some sort of concealer on their hair. I saw some guy with some black sh*t on his temples once, it looked terrible.

jarednz

Reaction score
I notice everything about everyones appearance.

In the past I would just check out what clothes and shoes people were wearing. But now that I have a receeding hair line I also check out everyones hair, how bald they are, and the way they style it.

I compare myself to everyone, I notice how they could improve their appearance and I try to pick up things that I can incorporate.

I don't think it's a bad thing. I'm not as obsesive as some of my friends that have no imperfections and perfect hair.

G

You notice, because everytime you spot a fellow balder there's one more guy who's not going to take a piss. One more guy added to the ranks of the balding--after all, if all guys were balding, girls wouldn't stigmatize it anymore than we stigmatize ditziness or the several million less neurons their brains sport. We don't hold their sh*t against them, they would do well to ease up on us.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
I mostly spot hair pieces now. Watching fox news you'll see about 20 per day. Even that young reporter guy that did the hurricaine ... looks about 28 ... he's got a piece ... you could never tell either. Looks like all american football quarterback thick neck chiseled features face guy .... and he's totally wearing a hairpiece. I only realized it one day when it was done poorly and he turned to the side.

Whats his name?

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
... he's got a piece ... you could never tell either. Looks like all american football quarterback thick neck chiseled features face guy .... and he's totally wearing a hairpiece. I only realized it one day when it was done poorly and he turned to the side.

Are you thinking of Bill Hemmer? http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167527,00.html I heard some people cite him for wearing a piece, but I must admit that I never thought bad about his hair until people started mentioning it.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Does Bill Hemmer wear a hairpiece?!?

cnn2.jpg

87david

Established Member
Reaction score
Well...at least sometimes it looks good : )

The Gardener

Reaction score
Hemmer DOES wear a toupee, and in fact he admitted to such on live TV
during his American Morning program:

The conversation below pasted from this CNN archive link, this particular exchange being close to the bottom of the page:

http://www.studentnews.cnn.com/TRANSCRI ... tm.02.html

cnn.com archives said:
O'BRIEN: Some new hope this morning for the folically- challenged. A new study shows that bald mice can grow hair after being implanted with a type of stem cell. It has some scientists saying that the treatment could lead to a cure for baldness. Don't get too excited, though. They say any cure would still be years away.

HEMMER: You know, ever since I got my toupee, I haven't had to worry about that.

O'BRIEN: It looks good.

HEMMER: Yes, grab that bad boy.

O'BRIEN: How much did you pay for that? Big bucks?

HEMMER: Yes. Fifteen.

The question of the day, a serious topic this morning with Jack.

JACK CAFFERTY, CNN ANCHOR: Yes, it is, actually, Bill. Thank you.

Yesterday's upset in the Spanish elections could be bad news for the Bush administration. Prime Minister Aznar in Spain, a key ally of the United States in the war in Iraq, had a comfortable lead in the polls going into last week's train bombings in Madrid. Suddenly he was out as of yesterday.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
I look at other men's hair all the time now. When I see non-male pattern baldness guys with lovely thick hair and a great hairstyle that I'd love to have and can't I stare even more (which is probably leading a lot of people to think I'm gay) then get all wound up and sometimes even go home in a drunken huff if I'm out for the night.
I see balding men looking at my hair too all the time. If I go out with minoxidil in it, which makes it look REALLY bad, I think they even give me little looks of sympathy too.
I see a lot of guys with receding temples and the way they try to hide it too, some of them can pull it off really well, some with the fringe sticking up, some with it down and I try and pull it off myself and cut it and use different cosmetic products when I get home!

Before I had male pattern baldness I very rarely noticed hairloss, in fact I didn't even really know what receded hairlines were. Which just goes to show other people really don't give a sh*t about your hair.

souldoctor

Reaction score
so true. before i had male pattern baldness, i had no clue about people's hair, didn't notice it much, just assumed that the guys i knew with different kinds of hairlines/thickness just kept it that way 'cos they liked it like that, or because that was just the way their hair had always been, and i didn't really give it any thought after that. in retrospect though now, i can recall loads of people that i used to know in 1st and 2nd year of uni who had receded hair, or even now thinking about it, i know a few guys who randomly in 2nd or 3rd year shaved all their hair off and decided to keep a skinhead, which i just assumed was 'cos they thought it looked better, whereas in fact i reckon it was now 'cos of male pattern baldness....

neotokyo

Reaction score
Someone who was balding on the crown, yes most definitely noticed even before I had hairloss.
But those receeding, its harder to take notice unless you receed yourself, else you don't take as much notice.

A bald egg on the back is something that stands out.
That's why girls will say guys are balding minly if they show skin on the crown.

Jeff71913

Reaction score
If I go out with minoxidil in it, which makes it look REALLY bad

Use a good volumizing shampoo and conditioner then use quality paper towels to dry your hair quickly without damaging it and then after your hair is dry apply the minoxidil. After it drys and you brush it with the proper type brush no one will be able to tell you ever applied the minoxidil, however if you are only going out for a few hours I would just use the Volumizing shampoo and conditioner and apply the minoxidil after I got home. Redkin "Densify" shampoo works really well.

Axon

Reaction score
I'll notice, but generally won't care. Far past the "look at every other man and give him a Norwood placement" phase.

Jeff71913

Reaction score
I don't know if this link will work or not, but I usually don't notice mens hair unless they look like this. :shock:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n&lr=&sa=N