Do you know if the glue can penetrate the scalp and go systemic?

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The acrylic resins in water based glues or the silicone can be absorbed through the scalp, even in small amounts ?

Or, being polymers, are they too big molecules to penetrate?

I only have this question because I have a rare immunological condition and it would be important for me to know that. Thanks to anyone who can help me solve this question.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a question for a doctor. If you have any doubt, shave your head, and move on with your life.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
They absolutely do. The scalp is one of the most vascular and permeable areas of the body. These blood vesels move straight down the carotid artery. Secondly, molecular mass (the too big assumption) is measured in Dalton's... anything under 1,000 is absorbable and under 500 Dalton is considered to be easily, and highly absorbed by the dermis. An example: Isopropanol
(isopropyl alcohol) is about 60 daltons, and is a common carrier used in solvent based adhesives. Meaning molecules over 8x (800%)
larger than the molecular size of the most common ingredient used in hair system acrylic adhesives can still pass. Heptane another very common ingredient is around 100 Dalton.... Toulene is 90.... Ethyl acetate a mere 88 Dalton ....all commonly used, easily absorbed, and will enter the blood stream through your skin.

AND.....Are you ready? Thats the complete list of ingredients, for the most popular, well known, and most commonly used, acrylic hair system adhesive....
known as:
Walker Ultra Hold...

Silicone is similar because it uses Ethyl acetate.... Even the safer of the three, being "water-based", is not free from absorbtion. Always remember, polymer is what plastic is derived from, and "co" simply means comprised of more than one type. If we could break down those ingredients, I'm confident we'd come to the same conclusion as solvent based adhesives...

The broad term "acrylic polymers" is much like stating "proprietary blend". Without knowing exactly what's in it, I cannot give a range of numbers. Nevertheless, on average, acrylic is approximately 300 Dalton.....far below the maximum threshold of absorbability......and It would be foolish to believe it's not absorbed.

Last edited:

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They absolutely do. The scalp is one of the most vascular and permeable areas of the body. These blood vesels move straight down the carotid artery. Secondly, molecular mass (the too big assumption) is measured in Dalton's... anything under 1,000 is absorbable and under 500 Dalton is considered to be easily, and highly absorbed by the dermis. An example: Isopropanol
(isopropyl alcohol) is about 60 daltons, and is a common carrier used in solvent based adhesives. Meaning molecules over 8x (800%)
larger than the molecular size of the most common ingredient used in hair system acrylic adhesives can still pass. Heptane another very common ingredient is around 100 Dalton.... Toulene is 90.... Ethyl acetate a mere 88 Dalton ....all commonly used, easily absorbed, and will enter the blood stream through your skin.

AND.....Are you ready? Thats the complete list of ingredients, for the most popular, well known, and most commonly used, acrylic hair system adhesive....
known as:
Walker Ultra Hold...

Silicone is similar because it uses Ethyl acetate.... Even the safer of the three, being "water-based", is not free from absorbtion. Always remember, polymer is what plastic is derived from, and "co" simply means comprised of more than one type. If we could break down those ingredients, I'm confident we'd come to the same conclusion as solvent based adhesives...

The broad term "acrylic polymers" is much like stating "proprietary blend". Without knowing exactly what's in it, I cannot give a range of numbers. Nevertheless, on average, acrylic is approximately 300 Dalton.....far below the maximum threshold of absorbability......and It would be foolish to believe it's not absorbed.

Do you think Silicone itself can absorb ? do you know how much is its molecular weight in daltons ?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think Silicone itself can absorb ? do you know how much is its molecular weight in daltons ?
They are all absorbed... water-based, acrylic, and silicone.
I think you're missing the point. Is knowing the harmful chemical "ethyl acetate" a main ingredient...which is well known be cytotoxic, not enough to concern you? Silicone is not one thing, it's a polymer made from a combination of chemicals.

It seems like ( as many do) you want to pick and choose what to acknowledge so that you feel validated in getting the answer that matches what you want to do.

They are all cause for concern; however, as I've said before.... I use ultra hold and I do so knowingly. I don't try and fool myself into believing it's safe. That's the difference... informed decisions based on fact, vs ignorance and hope.

Hope was the name of the ship that sank. :)

Last edited:

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They are all absorbed... water-based, acrylic, and silicone.
I think you're missing the point. Is knowing the harmful chemical "ethyl acetate" which is well known be cytotoxic, not enough to alert you? Silicone is not one thing, it's a polymer made from a combination of chemicals.
I understand. thank's buddy.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

known as:
Walker Ultra Hold...

Solvents obviously absorb. That's why you use a water based glue. The questioni is, whether the polyacrylate polymer actually absorbs. How many daltons their polymer is, can be asked from Prohairlabs.

You're right about the prefix "co". I will find that out what the other molecule besides acrylate is in the polymer.

Last edited:

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

known as:
Walker Ultra Hold...

Welcome back!