Do You Guys Believe In Ar Up Regulation From A Dht Blocker?

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m already infertile sadly. Boobs and temples? All the women in my family are a or b cups after pregnancy. I highly doubt I would get boobs.
I meant "boobs and hair" lmao. One more thing, HRT does no guarantee hair growth. You may grow lost hair, you may grow only minimal, or you may only stop further recession. It's not a cure.

Boobs depends on which person they are on. A b-cup breast on a woman is vastly different from a b-cup on a male.

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I meant "boobs and hair" lmao. One more thing, HRT does no guarantee hair growth. You may grow lost hair, you may grow only minimal, or you may only stop further recession. It's not a cure.

Boobs depends on which person they are on. A b-cup breast on a woman is vastly different from a b-cup on a male.
What if I add spironolactone and dutasteride. Sounds like a good combo. Saw someone have good results with it.

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What if I add spironolactone and dutasteride. Sounds like a good combo. Saw someone have good results with it.
I don't know your hairloss condition. I can't recommend you anything beyond simple Big 3.

Btw, spironolactone is a mediocre AA. Sometimes it does its job, and sometimes all you get from it, is peeing 100 times a day, dehydration and potassium toxicity if you don't watch your potassium intake.

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You barely even have any hair loss, and it's just normal maturing. Why are you so desperate to cut off your hormones? If you want to be a woman there are more effective ways to go about that.
My hairline is decent but my hair has corroded from dht. Its sooo dry and wiry. Not like normal hair at all. The quality is just bad.

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well unless you really have gender dysphoria I strongly recommend against taking any oral AA, even spironolactone. You have to be desperate to see it through on those drugs. Your hair is not bad enough that you'll be willing to continue treatment after you get gyno. Then you will quit everything including the dutasteride to try and stop the gyno, and your hair will get worse. It's better to go with a treatment that you will be able to stick with long enough to get results.
What should I do about the quality of my hair? Its dry,wirey and lifeless. My hair used to be hydrated and smooth. I’m pretty sure dht decreases the quality of the hair.

Guglielmo123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well unless you really have gender dysphoria I strongly recommend against taking any oral AA, even spironolactone. You have to be desperate to see it through on those drugs. Your hair is not bad enough that you'll be willing to continue treatment after you get gyno. Then you will quit everything including the dutasteride to try and stop the gyno, and your hair will get worse. It's better to go with a treatment that you will be able to stick with long enough to get results.

Isnt finasteride an AA?

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride/finasteride do not cause AR up regulation unlike AR blockers such as CPA/spironolactone/RU. Quite the opposite: dutasteride/finasteride increase one's T levels (which is mostly good than bad for combating hair loss), a male's body reads this as a signal to down regulate AR + reduce its conversion to DHT. AR blockers in turn block these receptors, a male's body reads this as a danger and tries to compensate by up regulating AR and raising the conversion T into DHT. This is one of the reasons why it's difficult to sustain one's results on an AR blocker regimen over time.

Last edited:

Here For the Lulz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Umm dutasteride isn’t going to revitalize your hair or improve its texture. That’s not what it does. If this were to occur it’s entirely tangential. If that’s your reason for taking it don’t.

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dutasteride/finasteride do not cause AR up regulation unlike AR blockers such as CPA/spironolactone/RU. Quite the opposite: dutasteride/finasteride increase one's T levels (which is mostly good than bad for combating hair loss), a male's body reads this as a signal to down regulate AR + reduce its conversion to DHT. AR blockers in turn block these receptors, a male's body reads this as a danger and tries to compensate by up regulating AR and raising the conversion T into DHT. This is one of the reasons why it's difficult to sustain one's results on an AR blocker regimen over time.
False. 5ARIs can cause AR upregulation. Think about it, if you take away 70-90% of the most potent androgen in your body, do you think a 20% increase in T will compensate over it ?? DHT being 3-5 times stronger than T, unless you already have enough T in the first place, it could cause side effects. The body senses that its most potent androgen is reduced immensly unnaturally, therefore it upregulates the AR to attach itself to more T and sustain the hormonal balance. Don't dismiss it just because you didn't have to go through with it, be glad you didn't.

About CPA and AAs causing AR upregulation, in my experience of 2 months using CPA, you are wrong too. "This is one of the reasons why it's difficult to sustain one's results on an AR blocker regimen over time". Dude, are you serious ?? Trans-women and some members on here are on Bicalutamide, spironolactone and alot other extreme regimens. HRT is your best bet to regrow your hair and maintain it long term, at the cost of your male sex life. if what you said was the case, we would see massive upregulations of AR, leading to defeminizations of trans-women, and hairloss in those members here.

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
False. 5ARIs can cause AR upregulation. Think about it, if you take away 70-90% of the most potent androgen in your body, do you think a 20% increase in T will compensate over it ?? DHT being 3-5 times stronger than T, unless you already have enough T in the first place, it could cause side effects. The body senses that its most potent androgen is reduced immensly unnaturally, therefore it upregulates the AR to attach itself to more T and sustain the hormonal balance. Don't dismiss it just because you didn't have to go through with it, be glad you didn't.

About CPA and AAs causing AR upregulation, in my experience of 2 months using CPA, you are wrong too. "This is one of the reasons why it's difficult to sustain one's results on an AR blocker regimen over time". Dude, are you serious ?? Trans-women and some members on here are on Bicalutamide, spironolactone and alot other extreme regimens. HRT is your best bet to regrow your hair and maintain it long term, at the cost of your male sex life. if what you said was the case, we would see massive upregulations of AR, leading to defeminizations of trans-women, and hairloss in those members here.
Cpa is pretty strong. How is gyno?

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For the most part. MtFs don't use EE though, they use Bio-Estradiol. I only started with EE to raise my SHBG, i will switch later on to natural Estradiol, as EE is very hard on the liver.
I hope all goes well for you. The results Ive seen from people doing hrt regimens are unbelievable. Like hair just instantly grows.

NorwoodingMyWay

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope all goes well for you. The results Ive seen from people doing hrt regimens are unbelievable. Like hair just instantly grows.
It was a last resort. I didn't know how to counteract the AR upregulation, and i had to go on Accutane. My body / facial hair was thinning, indicating reduced DHT, yet my skin became extremely oily, filled with horrible acne + very high libido that was distracting me from anything. It was so weird.

I'm already seeing hairs in my hairline that weren't there before, i take pics every 15 days to a month to evaluate accurately. Everything is so much better with HRT, except the painful gyno.

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It was a last resort. I didn't know how to counteract the AR upregulation, and i had to go on Accutane. My body / facial hair was thinning, indicating reduced DHT, yet my skin became extremely oily, filled with horrible acne + very high libido that was distracting me from anything. It was so weird.

I'm already seeing hairs in my hairline that weren't there before, i take pics every 15 days to a month to evaluate accurately. Everything is so much better with HRT, except the painful gyno.
Sounds good. I hope you get the results you’re looking for. If I ever get desperate then I’ll consider hrt as a regimen.

Anatoly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
[QUOTE="
5ARIs can cause AR upregulation. Think about it, if you take away 70-90% of the most potent androgen in your body, do you think a 20% increase in T will compensate over it ?? DHT being 3-5 times stronger than T, unless you already have enough T in the first place, it could cause side effects.

I've started reading on this argument with the same opinion as yours. More recent literature (with alternative research design) suggesting the opposite seems more persuasive to me. These relative %% do not tell the whole story - e.g. with respect to AR activity in prostate cancer on dutasteride:
https://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/70/4/1286

What number of months on treatment you mean- 6-12-36...?

About CPA and AAs causing AR upregulation, in my experience of 2 months using CPA, you are wrong too. "This is one of the reasons why it's difficult to sustain one's results on an AR blocker regimen over time".
------- I'm talking about low-dose AR blocker monotherapy for hair loss. The regimen of transgender people is more complex + higher doses and this mechanism in minor with respect to these cases. I'm familiar with the fact that transgender women do not become less transgender over time.
Upregulation in this case does not necessarily lead to substantial loss of regrowth, I mean a wider risk/benefit profile and the role of this mechanism in it over time. It will manifest if one discontinues treatment. I'm concerned about the mechanisms underpinning dependency on this drugs. One may start, then discontinue because of sides and as a result their baldness zones can progress further than they were before treatment.
It seems insufficient to base conclusions on 'your experience' , any good statistics?