Do you guys agree with this?

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm a skinny chap, but I come from a long line of bald men with beer bellies. I seriously can't think of a guy in my family without either a gut or a bald head (and a circle beard, aka the goatee). Most have both.
It's obviously a fate I'd like to avoid, but this article makes it seem inevitable.
http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/ne...-beer-belly-is-your-first-true-test-as-a-man/
Do you believe it? Is it a fate most men will suffer? I'm 25 and I have a hard time putting on weight, so maybe I don't have to worry?

Fullhead1day

Established Member
Reaction score
I briefly skimmed over the article, but yes, carbs are the devil.
There's a reason they call it 'beer belly,' because beer literally contains estrogen. It causes higher estrogen levels, and gives you the dreadful man boobs and a beer belly.
Your fate is not inevitable. Just watch your diet, try to do low carb, and you'll be fine.

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the unfortunate truth. Everybody's metabolism slows down with age. We just have to take better care of ourselves as we get older.

The other bad thing is men have a higher chance of getting diabetes then women do. Women have more flexibility with their BMI. As long
as we eat right and exercise, we should be alright.
I plan to continue doing what I'm doing as I get older. I generally eat well and work out. I'm built small (I'm very naturally skinny and short, I'm 5'8) so I don't think I'll have a problem, but my dad always says "just wait till your older, even if you take care of yourself, you'll notice a change in your body shape." Not sure if that's true.

shookwun

Reaction score
Im lucky on this side of the spectrum, cursed with skinny genetics. Even my father is lean as hell.

I hated it when I first started working out, but six years later... I consider it a good thing. Now that iv'e built a good foundation, i love having the flexibility of eating fast food & deserts every day and remaining shredded year round.

#godspeed

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I plan to continue doing what I'm doing as I get older. I generally eat well and work out. I'm built small (I'm very naturally skinny and short, I'm 5'8) so I don't think I'll have a problem, but my dad always says "just wait till your older, even if you take care of yourself, you'll notice a change in your body shape." Not sure if that's true.
I think if you eat at least 80 percent healthy and work out at least 3 to 4 times per week, you can maintain about the same weight plus or minus 5 pounds.

nyjrb

Established Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear, doctorhouse. It's definitely a concern of mine. I wasn't sure how much had to do with genetics.

hairwegoes

Reaction score
im skinny and cant gain weight but i notice in my 20s if i drink a lot beer and eat bad i get a fat belly, so it has to be monitored

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
For the last 10 years people have been saying to me stuff like "enjoy being skinny now, because when you're metabolism slows down in a couple years..."

Still shredded. Granted I do eat significantly less than I used to.

I think these physical declines people experience often have a lot more to do with changes in priorities and responsibilities, free time, and (I hate to say it, but) laziness than they do age, although age will inevitably play a factor at some point

Curious to see if things take a turn for me around the mid 30's. As of right now i intend to maintain and even continue improving my physique for the indefinite future. There's a good chance I'm going to start trt the moment I feel my physical potential start to decline.