Do You Ever Feel Like You're Being Ungrateful?

chrb

Reaction score
What I mean is - in the past, before minoxidil, finasteride etc. if you were going bald you literally just had to accept it. There was nothing you could do other than wear a wig.

I know the treatments that are currently on the market are not without their drawbacks but at least for most guys, maintaining what they have is a reasonable expectation. I have quite thin hair on my crown now and hope that I can at least get some of it back. I've only been thinning for 2-3 years at the most. But if not I can live with keeping what I've got. Of course it would be nice to get back to having a perfect, thick head of hair but I think it can be easy to lose perspective and start feeling sorry for yourself when in reality, guys of our generation at least have options.

Thoughts?

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I am angry that finasteride and minoxidil are not known by the majority of balding men.
I'm sure if more men knew about these products you would see a lot less men going bald.
I wish my stupid doctor diagnosed me correctly back when I was 21 and gave me a list of options.

One of the biggest regrets I have.

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
These treatments don't work for everybody. There are tons of men who are using, but are still losing.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
the OP is right. We should be grateful for what we have

no matter how inadequate finasteride and minoxidil may seem, 20 years ago we wouldn't even have them.

I am angry that finasteride and minoxidil are not known by the majority of balding men.
I'm sure if more men knew about these products you would see a lot less men going bald.
I wish my stupid doctor diagnosed me correctly back when I was 21 and gave me a list of options.

thanks to the internet - which we also didn't have 20 years ago - it's perfectly simple to find out about male pattern baldness treatments. Most men who start balding these days I'm sure would at least research into treatments, but not all will decide to use them.

the internet of course is a double-edge sword - there's an awful lot of misinformation out there, so you have to be careful.

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel it makes it worse that there are treatments that aren't exactly sure-fire. We're stuck in a time that's between having no options and in the future, there being secure options (assuming at some point in the future there will be).

If there were absolutely no options, I don't think people would be as devastated. I don't think my dad was devastated when he started balding. It was just something that happened. If there were easy treatments, cool, get it done.

But we're the ones dealing with treatments that are not perfected. minoxidil and finasteride weren't even intended to be hair loss treatments. And worst of all there are so many promises being made out there but for some people the best treatments don't even work. Transplanting is expensive and dodging crooked doctors is always a terrible game.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I'm grateful for this forum and you guys.:wub:

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
20 years ago I would probably have a bad combover and big 80's glasses. Very thankful for contacts and the big 3 haha.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Early days for me, but if the big three work for me, then I will be extremely grateful and certainly will not take it for granted... It's a shame so few men seem to be aware that there is a 90% effective and affordable solution solution, so many men needlessly going bald that would have a good chance of prevention.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Early days for me, but if the big three work for me, then I will be extremely grateful and certainly will not take it for granted... It's a shame so few men seem to be aware that there is a 90% effective and affordable solution solution, so many men needlessly going bald that would have a good chance of prevention.

you can blame the anti-Propecia propaganda brigade for that. And the media.

It's not that people aren't aware of these treatments, it's that they get scared off after a cursory google search for 'Propecia' and the horror stories that are returned.

Like I said, the internet is both a blessing and a curse

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
exactly

sad what the select few do to ward off potentially thousands from preventing baldness

ive been taking propecia for about a year now, and im doing fine!

toomuch

Reaction score
You guys know doctors warn patients about propecia now right? You can't blame the internet anymore. It's a widely known medical fact that propecia is garbage.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Irregardless of the safety of Propecia, the fact remains that it is still not very effective at what it should do which is regrow hair. If this **** worked like it should then you wouldn't be seeing any bald men anymore. That is the first thing I tell anyone who has the balls to suggest it to me.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I don't think even Merck ever seriously claimed that Propecia could regrow hair. It's a preventative, that's all - and was never supposed to be anything else

I guess ignorant non-baldies (like Justin Bieber) may be under the impression that it's some kind of miracle cure, but I've certainly never expected any regrowth from it

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its done what it claimed to do and Im grateful for it. I'll be 27 on Monday and Im just happy I made it this far with decent coverage. But I never expected it to re-grow anything.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
yea exactly . . . . . theres a chance it willl regrow hair but its main purpose is maintenance . . . .