do you believe the "moms father" thing?

ihatemylife223

My Regimen
Reaction score
when i was in school i had 4 friends that i hung out with for years. they all had dads with full heads of hair even going into their 40s and 50s pretty obvious they will never be bald. my dad started balding heavily around his 30s and then out of that friend group i was the only one who started losing hair.

everyone told me "it depends on your moms father". i looked at pictures of my moms dad and he had a pretty decent head of hair at 50 years old and his hairline looked similar to mine. after my hairline started getting worse i hopped on finasteride. all my friends still have pretty much full heads of hair from what i can see. i don't really have much balding in my family out of all grandparents and uncles most of them have hair.

it really sucked all my friends still had full heads of hair and never had to deal with this. in my 20s i started to have my hairline recede and it really fucked up my confidence and my whole life. i used to have relationships and talking to girls to just being a loser who sits around in pajamas. even some of my friends didn't take care of themselves at all drinking soda, smoking cigarettes, chugging alcohol, eating unhealthy food, drinking coffee all day and then my hair was falling out in clumps while everyone else in my friend group is fine.

PRIMEN

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I believe in it.
My dad is NW0 at 70 years old, his father was NW0 at 70 years old. I was supposed to be a NW0 too, but guess what? My maternal grandfather was NW7. Now I'm NW3 with thin hair and balding crown at 28 years old.

Stalker14

My Regimen
Reaction score
The age when baldness begins, the speed, the stage at which the process stops or stops altogether - all this depends on both the maternal and paternal lines. My maternal grandfather had a Norwood 1 at 70, and my father had at least a Norwood 4 at 40. I started going bald very early, as a teenager. Now I practically have a Norwood 3 in my early 20's. But I know people who have baldness or vice versa normal hair precisely because of the maternal grandfather, so both lines are important.

db135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The age when baldness begins, the speed, the stage at which the process stops or stops altogether - all this depends on both the maternal and paternal lines. My maternal grandfather had a Norwood 1 at 70, and my father had at least a Norwood 4 at 40. I started going bald very early, as a teenager. Now I practically have a Norwood 3 in my early 20's. But I know people who have baldness or vice versa normal hair precisely because of the maternal grandfather, so both lines are important.
I'm actually balding later than my father and maternal grandfather. At the age of 36 I have more hair than either of these men at that age, especially my father who was basically nw5 at that point. My grandfather was nw3/4 by 36 but sort of stayed there for the rest of his life.

I used to take hope from the fact I'm beating both, but I've slowly been thinning inwards from my left temple for the past few years, currently a nw2.5.

Not sure anymore if the fact I'm balding later means anything?

Stalker14

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm actually balding later than my father and maternal grandfather. At the age of 36 I have more hair than either of these men at that age, especially my father who was basically nw5 at that point. My grandfather was nw3/4 by 36 but sort of stayed there for the rest of his life.

I used to take hope from the fact I'm beating both, but I've slowly been thinning inwards from my left temple for the past few years, currently a nw2.5.

Not sure anymore if the fact I'm balding later means anything?
Baldness can sometimes begin a little earlier or a little later than that of the father / grandfather, the speed may also differ slightly, but in general the process is about the same with the family member whose genes you got. In rare cases, other genes may be passed on to you than your father, uncles, grandfathers. Therefore, it is difficult to predict for sure, everything can be quite unpredictable.

jakethesnakedr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope this is true lol

my dad has perfect hair but my moms dad not so much

probably gonna end up in between

thatslin

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dad is NW0 at the age of 50. My “mother’s dad” was NW0 when he passed away at the age of 70. I am NW2 at the early age of 20’s. WTF

Dogchebag

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The Moms father thing is just a way to say that your Mom inhereted hairloss. However her father is not the only person she can inherete it from

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone on my moms side is NW0, everyone on my fathers side is NW4-5.
I'm on this website since 2017 so you can guess what my thoughts on the mothers side theory are

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, all of my mums brothers are bald as fk.. cursed. Transplants 4 life

BS7671

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes my mothers side all uncles NW7 losing hair in teens, my dad was NW0 till he hit his 50s and started taking medicine for blood pressure and other things than started rapidly losing hair.
My dads sister and 2 brothers obviously different spouses however their sons all NW0 even in 30s.
Meanwhile me and my brothers aggressive loss started losing in teens.

Lol foids

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My father is over 60 and a Norwood 1. im over 40 now and a norwood 3 vertex. Its just a genetic lottery.