Do You Also Have Scalp Irritation From Your Lace Piece?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
as you can see by the attached, I have this scalp irritation which has been there for many months now. I use tape for back and side poly surround and tape for front. ( perimeter only) As i thought the lace was moving rubbing my scalp when I sleep, I have started to add a strip of tape on top, middle part ( not on irritated part) both sides of my head has this... It doesn't hurt, bleed or anything, just not normal scalp.. Am I the only one ?

thinking of daily wear for a little while to give my scalp a rest...
thanks
20180730_184437.jpg

lace

Reaction score
The irritation in your pic is most likely the result of the tape not the lace. I've used Supertape for 11 years on the perimeter, and, like yourself, a short strip or two from the back to the crown. Rarely have I experienced an irritation....perhaps once out of every 10 attachments. Generally the irritation....like the redness in your pic.....lasts only for a short time. Usually gone by the time I reattach. But, I had an exception about 6 months ago. One strip of 1" wide Supertape to the left of my crown had a very red irritation, 1" wide matching the length of the tape. Matched the tape perfectly. No idea why. It had never happened before or since. And, the strips of tape on the other side of the crown and along the perimeter produced no irritation.

I treated the severe irritation with a thin coat of antibiotic ointment......bacitracin...available everywhere over the counter. The application of the ointment is ONLY on the irritation. Tape will not stick well to any area covered with the ointment so be sure not to spread it on other part of the scalp. I then reattached the hp making sure that no tape overlapped the irritation. 6 weeks later after my normal detach the irritation was gone. My scalp looked clear. No irritations anywhere.

Another suggestion......before every attachment I use some Scalpicin on my scalp. It is intended to reduce any itching on the scalp. No way for me to be certain that the Scalpicin reduces this type of irritation shown in your pic. But it cannot hurt. The Scalpicin has no adverse affect on tape adhesion.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips..i do cet itchy scalp after one week BUT the redness is not where the tape is..so j think its the lace rubbing against scalp causing it...

lace

Reaction score
.... BUT the redness is not where the tape is..so j think its the lace rubbing against scalp causing it...
Perhaps. However lace is touching your scalp over a large area. It should therefore cause irritation everywhere.
Secondly......the lace is not moving against the scalp. A tight attachment keep the lace in one place. An exception would be something pressing down against the hp causing the movement (and pressure) of the lace against the scalp. But I assume that you are not doing head stands during the day.
Only suggestion I can offer is to monitor the hp during the week. Be aware of any 'unconscious" touching or rubbing. An explanation exists. You simply have not discovered it yet.

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips..i do cet itchy scalp after one week BUT the redness is not where the tape is..so j think its the lace rubbing against scalp causing it...

It is. I had it too. However, a member here told me it may possibly have been the glue type as well as the lace if it wasn’t breathable. I refer you to @Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like some sort of contact dermatitis, I am wondering if there is anything on that area of lace (glue, etc). Is your system on tight enough, with no shifting, that could rub the area? Are you using a scalp protector on your entire scalp?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi baldbearded. Sorry for my tardiness. Using the scalp protector walker ..which I suspect just being alcohol , on surround only. I believe the unit is tight, but I guess there is always wiggle room...I sleep with my piece and mostly on my sides so I suspect this is the cause ( a bit of rubbing...)
Piece BTW is french lace, with 80% synthetic ...

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The Walker Scalp Protector is alcohol (solvent) + some sort of a polymer that acts as a barrier between your scalp and the adhesive (or tape), and makes it stick better. You do it the same way you prime a wall before painting.

I am also French lace with 80% synthetic, and I also sleep on my side (ponytail, LOL). I would think that there could be a bit of rubbing. If you use tape + glue and have parts of your scalp that don't stick to the base, the fact that your scalp itself can move could cause this rubbing. Did you consider doing a full-head bond (all adhesive)? The other option is to use a couple of more strips of tape to keep the unit from moving.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks..will try full bond or possibly daily wear to give scalp a break... now trying to figure out best method and supplies for daily wear...

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
as you can see by the attached, I have this scalp irritation which has been there for many months now. I use tape for back and side poly surround and tape for front. ( perimeter only) As i thought the lace was moving rubbing my scalp when I sleep, I have started to add a strip of tape on top, middle part ( not on irritated part) both sides of my head has this... It doesn't hurt, bleed or anything, just not normal scalp.. Am I the only one ?

thinking of daily wear for a little while to give my scalp a rest...
thanks
View attachment 98476
Did you ever figure out what caused this?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what caused this?
I believe it was caused by lace rubbing my scalp during my sleep. Not glue because I only use glue at front and tape on perimeters. You can see my latest post on mono base..irritation doesn't occur with that one and same glue/tape method

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe it was caused by lace rubbing my scalp during my sleep. Not glue because I only use glue at front and tape on perimeters. You can see my latest post on mono base..irritation doesn't occur with that one and same glue/tape method
Has that happened before this or just the one time? Was the piece loose? I guess I'm wondering how to prevent this, I have never had it happen but what to know why it would just one time?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The irritations appear on both sides when I wear a swiss lace unit. I apply it without stretching it to much..it isn't a once in a blue moon thing...I have learned to live with it..giving scalp a rest overnight , by applying a spray plaster (bandaid)over irritation prior to attachment. Does not occur with current mono piece, nor skin unit ( which I wore only a few months )

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The irritations appear on both sides when I wear a swiss lace unit. I apply it without stretching it to much..it isn't a once in a blue moon thing...I have learned to live with it..giving scalp a rest overnight , by applying a spray plaster (bandaid)over irritation prior to attachment. Does not occur with current mono piece, nor skin unit ( which I wore only a few months )
Wow, so can doing a full head bond solve this? Or even some more tape or glue higher up?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Possibly. Haven't tried full bond as did not want to put glue on irritations