Do y’all think I have Telogen Effluvium?

Ahairloser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Telogen Effluvium

Hello everyone,
Since late November I’ve noticed that the top of my head has been thinning significantly. I started my weight loss journey in the beginning of august and had lost about 40 pounds by November. I only started noticing the thin head of hair about a week ago when other people started commenting on it as well. Progress photos show significant thinning of the hair though in different lighting conditions. Thinning has been very very noticeable on the top of my head but i cant say for the sides since i always get a skin fade. the hair whorl on has definetly gotten bigger but i cant tell if im thinning more around the crown than the rest. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or whether Telogen Effluvium is even possible with this mild weight loss. I got my blood work done as well and did not come back deficient in iron or b complex. Could this be androgenic alopecia?
During the dieting phase I was eating less than 1500 calories a day, being a 21 y/o male with a maintenance of 2650 calories.

Daniel_the_Hairy_Dutchman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could be. I suggest visiting a dermatologist who will be able to decide if miniaturization has taken place. If it's not the case, high chance it's telogen effluvium and the hairs will grow back.

hanime33

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had your same exact issue. Hair whorl looks largely noticeable whereas last year it didn't look prevalent at all. I lost about 30 pounds in a month or 2 by eating 770 calories a day. Pretty sure it's Telogen Effluvium and it's foreshadowing potential male pattern baldness. Buckle yourself as the road to recovery is 1 year+

Here For the Lulz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Telogen Effluvium

Hello everyone,
Since late November I’ve noticed that the top of my head has been thinning significantly. I started my weight loss journey in the beginning of august and had lost about 40 pounds by November. I only started noticing the thin head of hair about a week ago when other people started commenting on it as well. Progress photos show significant thinning of the hair though in different lighting conditions. Thinning has been very very noticeable on the top of my head but i cant say for the sides since i always get a skin fade. the hair whorl on has definetly gotten bigger but i cant tell if im thinning more around the crown than the rest. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or whether Telogen Effluvium is even possible with this mild weight loss. I got my blood work done as well and did not come back deficient in iron or b complex. Could this be androgenic alopecia?
During the dieting phase I was eating less than 1500 calories a day, being a 21 y/o male with a maintenance of 2650 calories.
Definitely AA/male pattern baldness. None of what you described would cause Telogen Effluvium unless you were severely malnourished. What you’re experiencing is the denial phase where you want so badly to not have male pattern baldness that you will grasp onto anything that could allow you to reach that conclusion. The sooner you become cognizant of that, the sooner you can move forward.

jazz1

Reaction score
Pictures would help.......