Do tetracyclines cause hairloss?

MrBen

Reaction score
Do they cause hairloss, and more importantly, is it permanent? I'm on Minocin and have been for over 3 years and am wondering if it is contributing to hair loss. One of the side affects is listed as hair loss but it does not say if it is temporary while on it or if it is permanent.

Someone brought this up in another thread so I thought I'd ask.

DJW

Reaction score
I'm a 21 year old guy, and I was on minocycline from August of 2003 to March 2004. I began experiencing hair loss (that I noticed at least) in late October 2003. My hair loss looked like receding only at the corners of my hairline, but I realized soon that it was pretty diffuse throughout the entire top of my head all the way back to the crown.

I went to the derm then and asked him if anything that I was taking could cause hair loss after reading online that excess vitamin A can cause hair loss (I was also using topical vit A. derivatives, Differin in the morning and Tretinoin at night; from perusing some other hair loss boards on the net it *seems* that more than a few people experienced hair thinning while using Differin). He said to me then he was 80% sure that it was male pattern baldness but if anything was causing the thinning it was likely the minocycline. He gave me a trial bottle of 5% minoxidil and I was on my way.

I began reading the boards around then, and I was pretty close to starting propecia. I decided just to shave my head and wait a year to see if anything improved. It is now pretty much a year and a month later and, while my hair is still thin at times, I feel like it is vastly improved. I'm fairly ositive that my hairline is coming back, and it *seems* that the corners of my temples are returning as well. I also see a lot of little hairs growing throughout the entire top of my head which I did not notice in March of 2004, and I believe I inspected pretty closely. The most objective way I can tell that there has been improvement since I didn't actually take pictures is that I am able to use gel again to hold the hair up.

I should make a disclaimer though that *if* my hair loss wasn't male pattern baldness, there are also a few other factors besides the acne treatments that might have played a role. I was living outside the dorms for the first time in Sept. 2003 and my diet became pretty bad, nothing but canned soup and cereal. The house I was living in was also very, very old, and a roommate of mine also experienced some overall thinning on top (both he and I are Asian as well). Both he and I are living in a newer house this year, and his hair has rebounded fairly nicely from what I can tell.

Sorry to write the long book, but I know how distressing the uncertainty of hair loss can be. I still fall back into it every now and then.