Do some people have naturally thinner hair than others?

rvahair1

Banned
Reaction score
I often wondered how many people are just thin hair people vs. thick hair people. Even as a young teen, I never had great thick hair. It was always lackluster mediocre hair.

When anyone has less than perfect hair people say they are balding or thinning. I know it can be true in some cases, but in others I find its just that the person doesn't have great hair.

The irony is I've seen more people with great hair from early on and they seem to go bald much sooner . While the mediocre hair people seem to retain most of their hair.

What do y'all think?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Absolutely some people have thinner/less dense hair. It's normal. Non balding hairlines also vary hugely, as do head shapes, forehead size etc.

rvahair1

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely some people have thinner/less dense hair. It's normal. Non balding hairlines also vary hugely, as do head shapes, forehead size etc.

That is what I think as well. I get annoyed when people also wrongly identify a "widows peak" as a receding hairline. Yes, receding hairlines do form a widows peak, but some people have a natural widows peak with a "dip" in the middle of their forehead that has nothing to do with a receding hairline. Its just part of their natural hairline. Ive seen it on men and women alike.

Its amazing how many different hairlines there are. Some people also have a very high hairline instead of a low one. So only the individual can accurately guess if they are truly thinning or not.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
People with dense and thick hair are less prone to suffer common alopecia. These characteristics are seen in old men with a good hair, it is very unusual with people with genetic sparse and thin hair.

Seanf999

Reaction score
Some people have incredibly dense hair (think Afro) while others have very thin usually dead straight hair..

rvahair1

Banned
Reaction score
People with dense and thick hair are less prone to suffer common alopecia. These characteristics are seen in old men with a good hair, it is very unusual with people with genetic sparse and thin hair.

I have noticed people from high school that had that thick dense hair and now most of these guys I know in their mid 30s are bald or balding. The ones with average hair seem to hold onto their hair. I realize that isn't always the case. And this is anecdotal, but its just a theory i have.

jhaydee

Reaction score
I often wondered how many people are just thin hair people vs. thick hair people. Even as a young teen, I never had great thick hair. It was always lackluster mediocre hair.

When anyone has less than perfect hair people say they are balding or thinning. I know it can be true in some cases, but in others I find its just that the person doesn't have great hair.

The irony is I've seen more people with great hair from early on and they seem to go bald much sooner . While the mediocre hair people seem to retain most of their hair.

What do y'all think?

My hair's almost certainly thicker right at the back of my head and has been all my life.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think yes there is genetic variability in a many traits and mutations to keep things interesting. Not everyone is the same and your not balding if you never had hair there to begin with.

glummikoh

Reaction score
I agree that some people just have more naturally thicker hair and more density and some people have thinner hair and are more sparse