Do Pain Killers Have Any Effect On Hair Loss

tele

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always think of these random little anecdotes. So my Grandfather and My father both were norwood 2-2.5 and they both had chronic back pain and were taking pain killers. They were both addicted to them for about 10-20 years each and took them till the end of their lives. They both drank and smoked as well. They both also had pretty bad diets. My father died at 45 and my grandfather at 65. It seemed like they held onto their hair much better than my uncle. My uncle is the only one in the family that I would say has noticeable hair loss. It didn't get noticeable until he was about 45 to 50 years old though. It seems strange to me that they all had similar recession patterns just that it happened faster for my uncle who was in the military and takes no prescription meds and doesn't smoke or drink. He also lives much healthier. He also lifts weights every day even into his 50's and has been since he was about 21 years old. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

Mac12345

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well some pain killers are also anti-inflammatories, and what is told is that male pattern baldness is down to the inflammation of the hair follicle.. I know it seems obvious but maybe taking them would ease inflammation on the follicle?

Joe1191

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't remember what exactly it was, but I read somewhere that Oxytocin may be of interest in hair regrowth, NOT oxycontin. Not entirely sure if oxycodone (common, strong painkiller) has any relation to oxytocin and I'm having difficulties finding answers on Google due to it mainly bringing up oxycontin instead.

Like the other guy said, it may have something to do with the anti-inflammatory effects.