Do not stop finasteride cold turkey! A strong argument to taper to very low doses.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking 1mg/daily for 10+ years (plus minoxidil 2/day). Because of the research that shows 0.25mg has similar results as 1mg, I just started reducing my daily dosage to 0.5mg this last Saturday. I can tell you that I definitely notice something happening in my body. Even if my DHT levels are being inhibited the same on 0.5mg as 1mg, there are other hormones that likely don't follow the same curve and are very dosage dependent. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress, but my goal is to get to 0.25mg daily since I've had good results with finasteride.

Ultimately, I've forgotten how powerful this drug is and how important tapering likely is. Kudos to the OP.

JGC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any updates on this post? Been taking 1mg finasteride (Propecia) for 12+ years and am now ready to begin the "weening off" process. Back in Aug 2020, I tried reducing my dosage to 1mg every other day. This went totally BAD for me! That said, I did notice an increase in morning erection after the first 3-4 weeks of 1mg every other day. However, at about 8-12 weeks, I began to feel on edge, anxious, and panic attacks which were brought on by the slightest of daily stress. After a few trips to the ER with the feeling of my heart coming out of my chest (bp averaging 170's/high 90's/high 90's-low 100's), I was ultimately told my tests were coming "within range." It wasn't until I read Ham373's post back in Nov 2020 which led me to ask for my hormone levels in more detail. Long story short, my dhea-s levels were at those of an infant (554mcg/dl) with my prolactin levels higher than normal (at my 41 yrs age/gender) with 57pg/ml.
Since going back on 1mg daily dose since Nov 2020 (Dr's recommendation) I've leveled out and symptoms have subsided. My Dr. asked me to "ween-off" VERY slowly, but didn't give me any direction on how or what dosage regimen to follow (guessing liability issues here). I did mention to my Dr. I would follow a 10% reduction of my daily 1mg dose every 2-3 months until down to .10mg, which I'm planning to do over a 1.5 year period. Not sure if this is TOO long, but figure if I've been on 5his stuff for 12+ years, a 2-3 month period of weening off is just not enough.
By the way, I respect all opinions, including professional, but sometimes you just got to be in "these shoes" to really be empathetic to those trying to kick this prescription. I'll be sure to post my progress every 2-3 months or as symptoms arise.

Manochoice

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any updates on this post? Been taking 1mg finasteride (Propecia) for 12+ years and am now ready to begin the "weening off" process. Back in Aug 2020, I tried reducing my dosage to 1mg every other day. This went totally BAD for me! That said, I did notice an increase in morning erection after the first 3-4 weeks of 1mg every other day. However, at about 8-12 weeks, I began to feel on edge, anxious, and panic attacks which were brought on by the slightest of daily stress. After a few trips to the ER with the feeling of my heart coming out of my chest (bp averaging 170's/high 90's/high 90's-low 100's), I was ultimately told my tests were coming "within range." It wasn't until I read Ham373's post back in Nov 2020 which led me to ask for my hormone levels in more detail. Long story short, my dhea-s levels were at those of an infant (554mcg/dl) with my prolactin levels higher than normal (at my 41 yrs age/gender) with 57pg/ml.
Since going back on 1mg daily dose since Nov 2020 (Dr's recommendation) I've leveled out and symptoms have subsided. My Dr. asked me to "ween-off" VERY slowly, but didn't give me any direction on how or what dosage regimen to follow (guessing liability issues here). I did mention to my Dr. I would follow a 10% reduction of my daily 1mg dose every 2-3 months until down to .10mg, which I'm planning to do over a 1.5 year period. Not sure if this is TOO long, but figure if I've been on 5his stuff for 12+ years, a 2-3 month period of weening off is just not enough.
By the way, I respect all opinions, including professional, but sometimes you just got to be in "these shoes" to really be empathetic to those trying to kick this prescription. I'll be sure to post my progress every 2-3 months or as symptoms arise.
What made you decide to wean off the fina to begin with? Are you just trying to come off completely (and why) or just to continue on a reduced dose? I've never hopped on Fina even though I do have in my drawer for over a year now but have read countless accounts of how to regarding fina. There is no real consenus on how to stop finasteride in order to reduce any risks and advices range from stopping cold turkey to weaning off with somewhat similar accounts and fervor for each. While some advice to wean off by skipping days, others insist that it's best to just gradually reduce your daily dose by weekly reducing your dose (0.75 1st week, 0.5 2nd week, 0.25 3rd week and maybe down to 0.1 for the 4th week). As I said, you will find multiple accounts so it's really up to you which route you will choose.

JGC

My Regimen
Reaction score
First, thanks for the reply Manochoice. I just prefer to start getting off this stuff, no sides as of now other than those caused by abrupt 1/2 dose regimen late last year. 12 years ago, I had an FUT procedure as I was about a Norwood 2-3 in my mid to late 20's. The Dr who performed the procedure prescribed me the finasteride and recommended it for 6 mo's. I later found out this was unnecessary as other Doctors informed me that any transplants from non-dht affected donor areas grow regardless if done correctly. So here I am 12+ years later, 41 yrs of age, and still at about a Norwood 2. I'm at the stage where I feel comfortable with who I am naturally, and I'll shave off or do SMP and live with it. In addition, I've been seeing an Endocrinologist whom shed some light on the situation and advised me to think about the long term consequences for taking a medication which may affect the glandular/HPA/HPG axis. My hormonal tests immediately post weaning off supported this theory. It may not happen to all, but you'll definitely find out once the decision is made to reduce or completely stop taking finasteride. I'm now on an adaptogen containing ashwagandha, taking vitamin D3 (hormone modulation) and getting about an hour of sun daily, as well as zinc and magnesium. As stated in previous post, I'm at .9 mg finasteride now, and will reduce mg/day by 10-15% every 2-3 months until .10 mg dose is achieved before completely stopping finasteride. That said, for those whom are interested in the 1/2 dose, my experience of 1 tablet every other day was ok for about 3 months. No further hair loss, just the terrible crash which I experienced after the 10-12 week mark. At least for my case, I'd rather not skip days, just take a lower dose as I've been told by my Endo that blood serum levels and scalp dht levels are two different factors. Furthermore the hormone function, specifically the HPA axis depends on consistency, which may have been compromised by my sudden 1/2 dose regimen of finasteride. Just my story here, and trying to offer insight. Thanks!

RS85

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been taking 1mg/daily for 10+ years (plus minoxidil 2/day). Because of the research that shows 0.25mg has similar results as 1mg, I just started reducing my daily dosage to 0.5mg this last Saturday. I can tell you that I definitely notice something happening in my body. Even if my DHT levels are being inhibited the same on 0.5mg as 1mg, there are other hormones that likely don't follow the same curve and are very dosage dependent. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress, but my goal is to get to 0.25mg daily since I've had good results with finasteride.

Ultimately, I've forgotten how powerful this drug is and how important tapering likely is. Kudos to the OP.
Hey man, so any update on your experience with reducing doses? I reduced mine from 1 mg to 0.5 mg about 3 years back (been taking it for 13 years now). i did it cold turkey when i realised how severe my sides had become. I did not have all this knpwledge about weening off the drug back then. Right now i take 0.5 mg 5 times a week (skip the weekend). It is working ok but i do want to reduce my dependence on it further as i see all the accounts of how harmful the drug is. Thing is i do experience noticeable hair loss everytime i reduce the dosage too much. On the flip side, the erections come back strong and healthy. I think i may just have to accept that i will be losing hair and going noticebaly bald at a young age.

1 question to everyone: How do you get 0.1 mg? I get 1 mg tablets and struggle to split them in half equally. How do you guys manage to reduce by 0.1 mg every few weeks??

JGC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, so any update on your experience with reducing doses? I reduced mine from 1 mg to 0.5 mg about 3 years back (been taking it for 13 years now). i did it cold turkey when i realised how severe my sides had become. I did not have all this knpwledge about weening off the drug back then. Right now i take 0.5 mg 5 times a week (skip the weekend). It is working ok but i do want to reduce my dependence on it further as i see all the accounts of how harmful the drug is. Thing is i do experience noticeable hair loss everytime i reduce the dosage too much. On the flip side, the erections come back strong and healthy. I think i may just have to accept that i will be losing hair and going noticebaly bald at a young age.

1 question to everyone: How do you get 0.1 mg? I get 1 mg tablets and struggle to split them in half equally. How do you guys manage to reduce by 0.1 mg every few weeks??
Hello RS85,
Reduced dose is going well. I did notice that erection strength, even at weaning off .10-.15 mg per dose is def noticeable. It's kind of nuts (no pun) to think that just a 10-15% less amount will have this effect. Another tip is that you DO NOT want to do any type of HPA axis inhibitors like smoking THC. Studies indicate that those whom intake THC at an average amount of "1 joint" per day had a significant HPA axis shutdown. It has something to do with hormone suppression as this is indicative when you measure semen excretion and quality/viscosity when THC has become a daily habit for an extended period of time. And this isn't just testosterone, THC inhibits other hormone regulators like your adrenal glands, so be careful and mindful when pairing THC intake with finasteride. Another tip would be to look very carefully at what you are eating and drinking through diet. Get some labs done, find out if you are taking in your trace minerals as your body needs those to promote hair growth. Eating things like rice daily is shown to actually "suck your minerals dry" through digestion and excrete before your gut can benefit from the nutrition. Research what are "anti-nutrients" and "high lectins" in diet and see if you may be eating things that may be triggering further inflammation in your body. Andro alopecia is a condition caused by inflammation so you might even want to pay for an "alergic foods" response test. I did this and found that dairy was the culprit, along with non-organic foods (fruits and vegs). Pesticides especially contain chemicals that mimic estrogen.
To answer the question on splitting the 1mg finasteride tab, just buy yourself an electronic gram scale, measure the tab at grams, and take your % value differences from there to reduce dosage. I cut mine with an unused razor blade which makes precise cuts. I tried the pill cutter stuff which didn't work. I'm currently at .85 mg dose and will update once I get to .75-.80mg which should be by September. Hope this helps and I'll post any significant changes if needed soon. Shoot me any questions if need be. Thanks!

Geros10

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey JGC, really... reading your post is almost like reading my own story. Sorry if my english isn't very good. I'm writing from Germany.
So, i've been on this drug for 21 years. I am 42 now. As i felt generally very happy and confident with my life, i decided last month to kick finasteride for good. I started already taking it any other day for a couple of months and finally mid July, when the big pack was finished, i decided that i would not get a new one. Done. It was a huge relief somehow, that i finally had the balls to probably lose my hair and prevent further damage to my body ( i felt that it had definitely harmed my libido over the years, but not to a degree that i had to stop.)
So after 6 days or so, on July 21 at 11:00 (i was in the middle of a meeting) i totally crashed. At first i thought... what the hell is going on?! Depression?? Anxiousness? Panic attacks? Brain Fogg? Me?? Never experienced any of the symptoms before and they all came together. Probably after half an hour i realized that it had to be related to me discontinuing finasteride. My logic was: OK my body is clearly missing something... i need to get back on that sh*t quickly. So i started using the pill again just a day after my crash. So my first question is: how long did you take the pill before the symptoms subsided? I am 3 Weeks back on it and i still have the anxiousness and brain fog. On some days still I have still depressive phases. I have days where i am OK and days where i feel horrible. Mostly like a sinus curve that goes up an down.
You are the only guy i found online, that used the same tactic as i did. And hopefully the symptoms will subside too.
And then i will try to ween it off, like you are trying. So your case is super important for me and i am very thankful that you shared your story.
Do you take any supplements like GABA, enachi or 5-HTP?
I wish you all the best!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Isn't the half life of finasteride slow enough that it's already like weening off? It's such a long acting substance. In that case usually weening isn't needed.