Do Medical Breakthroughs Really Take Years To Reach Other Countries?

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If Tsuji or Shesiedo actually do release a product in the near future we all have heard that it may take awhile for it to reach the masses worldwide.
But
My question is, can anyone tell me of a ground breaking medical breakthrough that was regulated to only one specific part of the world for years? I cant recall one. Like a proven vaccine or medical anything that part the world had to salivate over while another part of the world enjoyes its benefits.

I cant believe that if a company in lets say, the US, found a cure for a disease or condition, it would take another country years to adopt that tech

Wouldnt a company that has a product or procedure that can change lives try to work with other countries and their regulations to make it available everywhere asap? Years of waiting seem ungodly and inhumane.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It depends on which countries you're talking about.

From what I've read over the years Europe's governing body, and obviously Japan, seem less stringent than the US FDA. Because of that they're more likely to approve a new treatment that's already approved in the US quicker than the US would approve a treatment that was available in Europe/Japan first. Whichever country's treatments go through more stringent regulations are generally accepted by countries with less stringent regulations.

This creates a lot of "medical tourism" for countries that have treatments available first which help their economy - this is one of the reasons for Japan's de-regulated stem cell environment.

As an example... a lot of US athletes will go to Europe for treatments for their injuries because the treatments they seek out are not available in the US i.e. Kobe Bryant, Andrew Luck, etc. etc.

In my opinion if it was a "life or death" treatment (cancer, Alzheimer's, etc.) they'd probably push it through, but for cosmetic issues like hair loss they wouldn't (which is shame because they don't realize how much it affects people who suffer from it).

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It depends on which countries you're talking about.

From what I've read over the years Europe's governing body, and obviously Japan, seem less stringent than the US FDA. Because of that they're more likely to approve a new treatment that's already approved in the US quicker than the US would approve a treatment that was available in Europe/Japan first. Whichever country's treatments go through more stringent regulations are generally accepted by countries with less stringent regulations.

This creates a lot of "medical tourism" for countries that have treatments available first which help their economy - this is one of the reasons for Japan's de-regulated stem cell environment.

As an example... a lot of US athletes will go to Europe for treatments for their injuries because the treatments they seek out are not available in the US i.e. Kobe Bryant, Andrew Luck, etc. etc.

In my opinion if it was a "life or death" treatment (cancer, Alzheimer's, etc.) they'd probably push it through, but for cosmetic issues like hair loss they wouldn't (which is shame because they don't realize how much it affects people who suffer from it).
Yeah i had forgotten about Kobe having to go overseas to get that done. And i agree its a damn shame that this is considered a "cosmetic" issue. The demand would be so high though i cant help but think it may be urged along a little bit, but youre probably right

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah i had forgotten about Kobe having to go overseas to get that done. And i agree its a damn shame that this is considered a "cosmetic" issue. The demand would be so high though i cant help but think it may be urged along a little bit, but youre probably right

I'm not sure the demand would be so high. A lot of people say men "don't care" about hair loss. I don't think that's necessarily true. I think all men would prefer having hair than not having hair if all it took was the snap of the fingers.

Lots of men can be "cured" by present day hair transplants. Unfortunately, the cost, downtime from work, stigma from getting it done, etc. etc. deters a lot of people from doing it. If there's a much more viable treatment like Tsuji or Replicel (if it works), demand will no doubt increase but I don't think you'll see people running to their local clinics to get this stuff done even if it was available.