Do I Risk The Hair Around The Newly Transplanted Hair?

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I am losing hair constantly since I was 25. I am 35 now and most of my temples and front area is gone.
I am seriously considering FUE hair transplant now, but I was always afraid that I will continue to lose hair after transplant.
I don't mean the new transplanted hair, since those are testosterone insensitive, but I mean the areas surrounding it. I M afraid that after 10 years from now, I will have good temples and front area but bald patches behind them.
Is this a valid concern? Are you aware of such strange baldness pattern due to hair transplant?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's why it's important to be using preventative meds prior to and after a transplant to maintain/slow down loss of native hair.

Finasteride
Minoxidil

research these

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
I already did. I used them for long time too. However, finesteride side effects were Untolerable and have to stop it. Minoxidil is not gonna prevent the underlying cause of the hair baldness.
So do you think if I am not gonna use finesteride, I shouldn't do the hair transplant?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see. You may as well go see a respected surgeon and see what he says. If your donor is decent he might still be able and willing to make something good happen for you...probably not a dense packed NW1 hairline or anything, but something better than your current situation. You never know.

Even though minoxidil doesn't treat the "underlying problem," it still may be worth using...might help you hold onto that surrounding hair for enough years to make it worth it

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
Given that minoxidil is working for you, stay on it! Using only minoxidil is much and much better than not doing anything at all.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
The Doctor who suggested my hair transplant affirms you should do a hair transplant ONLY if you then use finasteride and min to preserve pre existing hairs. Otherwise the result will too erratic because influenced by the loss of the hair that was already there.
Of course if you were slick bald to begin with, the pre existing hair problem does not arise...