Do I need C22, or 75% Alcohol can do the job?

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First time doing service at home. Not much available except glue, tape and alcohol.

Is C22 necessary?

Any video I can refer to for self service?

Thanks in advance!

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see the point in c22. It's an oil based solvent, which requires residue removal after use for proper bond. Oil on knots is not good and it also encourages V-looped hair to fall/slide our easier. Why add another step when alcohol would be used to remove the c22's oily residue anyway...... Or worse.... DISH soap on highly damaged hair.... I typically use 91% ......
When saturating the bottom of a .03 poly base, to sanitize, I use 70%.... since a higher concentration dries out the poly and encourage tearing. I use 99% sparingly, in stubborn situations, that require it.....and to periodically wipe/clean the hairline.

Last edited:

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
C-22 is good for getting glue that is stuck in the lace, out, as well as getting the glue off your scalp.

I use C-22 for cleaning the base too, sometimes.
However it stinks strongly like some toilet cleaner.

I prefer using surgical spirit(methyl salicylate) to clean bases and getting adhesive residue off my head.
Less likely to give me a headache and an asthma attack which C-22 has...When I used a lot once for a solvent soak on cleaning the hair system base.

Last edited:

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see the point in c22. It's an oil based solvent, which requires residue removal after use for proper bond. Oil on knots is not good and it also encourages V-looped hair to fall/slide our easier. Why add another step when alcohol would be used to remove the c22's oily residue anyway...... Or worse.... DISH soap on highly damaged hair.... I typically use 91% ......
When saturating the bottom of a .03 poly base, to sanitize, I use 70%.... since a higher concentration dries out the poly and encourage tearing. I use 99% sparingly, in stubborn situations, that require it.....and to periodically wipe/clean the hairline.

Apart from a solvent soak where a base is really caked in tape and/or glue adhesive residue that seaps into the lace.
I'd use C-22 then...
Or it gets stubborn tape to peel off the poly section of bases.
However I prefer using surgical spirit on poly perimeters/bases to remove tapes easily so I don't tear the base.

So I'd dab surgical spirit on some cotton wool and lift the tape. Every time there is the slightest resistance I will rub the cotton wool soaked in surgical spirit on the piece of tape still stuck to the poly section to make it easier to come off.
I have torn poly/thin skin bases in the past if I tugged when there was any resistance on the tapes when trying to remove them.

I wish I had a full lace base as removal and cleaning would be ALOT easier. And seems more durable to clean too.
Spray lace release through hair, wait a few mins and it will peel off my scalp.
Then I would use surgical spirit to clean the adhesive residue off my scalp.
And cotton wool flicked off the lace base to remove the adhesive residue.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Apart from a solvent soak where a base is really caked in tape and/or glue adhesive residue that seaps into the lace.
I'd use C-22 then...
Or it gets stubborn tape to peel off the poly section of bases.
However I prefer using surgical spirit on poly perimeters/bases to remove tapes easily so I don't tear the base.

So I'd dab surgical spirit on some cotton wool and lift the tape. Every time there is the slightest resistance I will rub the cotton wool soaked in surgical spirit on the piece of tape still stuck to the poly section to make it easier to come off.
I have torn poly/thin skin bases in the past if I tugged when there was any resistance on the tapes when trying to remove them.

I wish I had a full lace base as removal and cleaning would be ALOT easier. And seems more durable to clean too.
Spray lace release through hair, wait a few mins and it will peel off my scalp.
Then I would use surgical spirit to clean the adhesive residue off my scalp.
And cotton wool flicked off the lace base to remove the adhesive residue.
Lace is obnoxiously more difficult than Poly, as the adhesive goes through the lace into the hair, as is breaks down.

Also, the point of using cotton is so that it adheres to and essentially encapsulates the adhesive, remaining dry so that it can be rolled off the base.

A better option would be to saturate a washcloth with solvent..... If opting For a wet cleaning.

Last edited:

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lace is obnoxiously more difficult than Poly, as the adhesive goes through the lace into the hair, as is breaks down.

Also, the point of using cotton is so that it adheres to and essentially encapsulates the adhesive, remaining dry so that it can be rolled off the base.

A better option would be to saturate a washcloth with solvent..... If opting For a wet cleaning.
Not if you use tape and cleanup and reapply the tapes between 1-2 weeks.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not if you use tape and cleanup and reapply the tapes between 1-2 weeks.
That would be a personal experience of yours. The statements I make are scientific and fact based. Not based on one's personal body chemistry, as that varies. However, personal experience or not.... I Challenge you to find anyone that agrees that cleaning a lace based system is easier than Poly, with equal wear times. That is the, well known, number one benefit of Poly over lace.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with @TooBad whole-heartedly. C22 is a disaster regardless of base type. If you soak your piece in that baby/mineral-oil-like solvent you're doing yourself a disservice: Not only will it be unecessarily messy, but you'll inevitably lose hair. I couldn't imagine how bad it'd be on lace.

For lace, just drip 91% into the areas where your bond is, wait a bit, and remove the piece. Poly is much easier to deal with: once your toupee starts peeling, just attack it with alcohol till you can remove it, then clean - using a variety of methods.

I tried cottonball with UTS; I found it to be a pretty reasonable way of getting the adhesive off my units' bases. But using a finger to remove the junk works fine too.

I'mme

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
C-22 is good for getting glue that is stuck in the lace, out, as well as getting the glue off your scalp.
Can't I use Alcohol for clearing glue on scalp? C22 will reach me 3-4 days later, unfortunately

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
99 percent. It was impossible to buy it last year at this time, but it is back!

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Best scalp cleaner...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210527-193649_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210527-193649_Chrome.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 62

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Seriously, buy some mineral oil for constipation from the store for 2 dollars and put it on your head and rub off. C22 is nonsense
Or baby oil...
And yeah. C22 stinks like toilet cleaner and has given me a headache and asthma attack before.
I dislike using it unless the hair system is caked in adhesive as it works well as a solvent soak.

Milo Bloom

My Regimen
Reaction score
The best option is to use a spot cleaning sprayer gun (link below) filled with 99% alcohol on the lace after doing the mirror slide to remove as much glue residue lace as possible. You may need to pretreat any hairs where the residue has wicked up from the base with a spray mist of 99% alcohol first for best results. There are Youtube videos demonstrating how this is done.

The above is 110 volt model with a US plug. I haven't a clue where to obtain the UK equivalent if at all; it seems the majority of the posters here now are in the UK.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
If you do a full scalp bond, how would you remove the glue without an oily solvent soak like C22 or Autoglym?

Milo Bloom

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you do a full scalp bond, how would you remove the glue without an oily solvent soak like C22 or Autoglym?
I’ve only done perimeter bonds with glue in front and tape on the (poly) sides. Much easier on the scalp and systems last a lot longer.