Do I Have A Case Of Retrograde Alopecia?

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
B3213F02-6518-4183-AE2E-04C1000BB76A.jpeg DC828C9D-7A50-45B9-BFB9-DDA3A3189A0A.jpeg 5721458D-F197-4873-834D-B1D454E10094.jpeg CC108A6D-C7FB-4207-BCE2-FD4E2CA78EA1.jpeg

I have a pretty bizarre balding pattern where it seems like the vast majority of the damage is happening on the sides of my head. I’ve maybe had a tiny bit of temple recession but it’s not very drastic. I’ve definitely had some thinning in my crown but it’s also pretty unnoticeable. Recently my doctor has proposed the idea that what I’ve been treating as male pattern baldness for the past year and a half might actually be thyroid related (getting a TSH test on Wednesday). Does this pattern indicate more of a thyroid issue than male pattern baldness? I’ve attached pictures of my hair from the front, top, and sides, the difference is astronomical. I thought these were supposed to be the DHT resistant hairs?

fml

Established Member
Reaction score
View attachment 142471 View attachment 142472 View attachment 142473 View attachment 142474

I have a pretty bizarre balding pattern where it seems like the vast majority of the damage is happening on the sides of my head. I’ve maybe had a tiny bit of temple recession but it’s not very drastic. I’ve definitely had some thinning in my crown but it’s also pretty unnoticeable. Recently my doctor has proposed the idea that what I’ve been treating as male pattern baldness for the past year and a half might actually be thyroid related (getting a TSH test on Wednesday). Does this pattern indicate more of a thyroid issue than male pattern baldness? I’ve attached pictures of my hair from the front, top, and sides, the difference is astronomical. I thought these were supposed to be the DHT resistant hairs?
I doubt you have any problems at all. At first I thought you were thinning at the sides, but now I dont think you are. In the hairline pic it can be seen then your side hair is sticking outwards at the "thinning" area, which means that the side pics are showing a bit of an illusion. We can just see through to the scalp because your hair is sticking outwards. Perhaps because you cut it to such a short length.
As for the "notch" in your hairline. If you did not have that before then yes, you might be losing at the front somewhat. But it is hardly surprising. YOu have a very low hairline. A childs hairline. Very few people keep hold of that. Youll probably lose those bits at the side of your forehead and along the rest of the hairline, but you will still look normal, not like you have lost hair. You still have a juvenile hairline. I dont think you have any serious problems at all. YOur crown looks absolutely fine too not thinning like you suggest.