Do Hair Transplants Actually work?

2hillpark

Reaction score
Do Hair Transplants actually work?

I am curious as I considering one however I am not sure if it would be a good as not sure of I could style my hair the same way as I have done before and the thought of having to put products like Toppic in to make it fuller sounds awful.

Any advice particuarly from hair trasplant paitents would be good to hear.

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes

But they are the definition of "you get what you pay for". As a rule of thumb, FUE > Strip, and only get from a short list of doctors (maybe 6-12 in the USA and one in canada).

GeminiX

Reaction score
They absolutely work, spectacularly with one of the better surgeons.
There is a link in my sig to images of results from the two procedures I've had.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
In addition to what has been said already, I would like to add that hair transplant's do work, BUT the results that you can get from them are limited mainly by the amount of donor hair supply you have, provided you go to one of the best hair transplant surgeons. So, if you are already NW4+, getting an hair transplant is NOT a good idea because at that stage of male pattern baldness, your donor supply is already seriously depleted. This is especially true if you don't plan on taking Finasteride. IMO, getting an hair transplant without stabilizing your male pattern baldness will only result in dissappointing results a few years down the road, as soon as the hair begins to thin out around the transplanted hair.

Yes they do work but they are not a fullproof cure, by that I mean a bald man cannot expect to regain a perfect head of hair but can get a significant improvement. As dudemon said you are limited to how much donor supply you have available. The only time things dont work ie dont grow is when you go to a amatuerish surgeon who does'nt know what he's doing thats why its important to choose a surgeon with a tried and tested reputation.
As as dudemon also pointed out although the transplanted hair will keep growing you may still lose more of your original native hair.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
AND, actually, a more accurate statement would have been: "At NW4+ you will need more grafts than you have available to give realistic enough results."

Not always, some NW5's and even NW6's have gone back to realistic looking NW2's. And the older you are the better the chances of it looking acceptable.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
2hillpark said:
Do Hair Transplants actually work?

I am curious as I considering one however I am not sure if it would be a good as not sure of I could style my hair the same way as I have done before and the thought of having to put products like Toppic in to make it fuller sounds awful.

Any advice particuarly from hair trasplant paitents would be good to hear.

that is the issue, if you are reaching for something YOU HAD BEFORE, its highly unlikely you will get that with a transplant, if you want what you had before you have to wear a hair system, check hairdirect.com, that is the only way to get what you had before assuming you're a NW3+ or something.

however hair transplant are good if you're a NW4 looking to "not be bald" naturally - if you can call hair transplant natural- and get your front line back, but no one is saying it will be like before, and if you get a bad surgeon then it can look unrealistic, whereas a hairpiece it wil look 100% realistic and have what you had or what you want.

but both are good options however as a rule a hair transplant will made a NW4 person not bald anymore , a hair system will give you what you want or who you were at 18 or whatever.

bor83

Reaction score
Rutt said:
Yes

But they are the definition of "you get what you pay for". As a rule of thumb, FUE > Strip, and only get from a short list of doctors (maybe 6-12 in the USA and one in canada).

I would not say FUE is greater than Strip. It depends on who the doctor is and what your needs are. I am convinced after 8,000 FUE on myself and speaking to several top FUE doctors in person that you can not get anything close to 95-100% yield in most cases. The benefits are quicker recovery, and less scarring which will enable you to confidently cut your hair very short if you desire.