Dismiss Notice
Poll: Select your 15 Tsuji Questions here.
Dismiss Notice
Hair Loss Clinical Research Pipeline released. Read more.

Do Hair Transplants Actually work?

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants & Hair Replacement Surgery' started by 2hillpark, Mar 24, 2011.

1. 2hillpark

2hillpark Junior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do Hair Transplants actually work?

I am curious as I considering one however I am not sure if it would be a good as not sure of I could style my hair the same way as I have done before and the thought of having to put products like Toppic in to make it fuller sounds awful.

Any advice particuarly from hair trasplant paitents would be good to hear.

2. Rutt

Rutt Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes

But they are the definition of "you get what you pay for". As a rule of thumb, FUE > Strip, and only get from a short list of doctors (maybe 6-12 in the USA and one in canada).

3. GeminiX

GeminiX Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    They absolutely work, spectacularly with one of the better surgeons.
    There is a link in my sig to images of results from the two procedures I've had.

4. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they do work but they are not a fullproof cure, by that I mean a bald man cannot expect to regain a perfect head of hair but can get a significant improvement. As dudemon said you are limited to how much donor supply you have available. The only time things dont work ie dont grow is when you go to a amatuerish surgeon who does'nt know what he's doing thats why its important to choose a surgeon with a tried and tested reputation.
    As as dudemon also pointed out although the transplanted hair will keep growing you may still lose more of your original native hair.

5. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Not always, some NW5's and even NW6's have gone back to realistic looking NW2's. And the older you are the better the chances of it looking acceptable.

6. HairPieceMan

HairPieceMan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    that is the issue, if you are reaching for something YOU HAD BEFORE, its highly unlikely you will get that with a transplant, if you want what you had before you have to wear a hair system, check hairdirect.com, that is the only way to get what you had before assuming you're a NW3+ or something.

however HT are good if you're a NW4 looking to "not be bald" naturally - if you can call HT natural- and get your front line back, but no one is saying it will be like before, and if you get a bad surgeon then it can look unrealistic, whereas a hairpiece it wil look 100% realistic and have what you had or what you want.

but both are good options however as a rule a HT will made a NW4 person not bald anymore , a hair system will give you what you want or who you were at 18 or whatever.

7. bor83

bor83 New Member

Dislikes Received:

I would not say FUE is greater than Strip. It depends on who the doctor is and what your needs are. I am convinced after 8,000 FUE on myself and speaking to several top FUE doctors in person that you can not get anything close to 95-100% yield in most cases. The benefits are quicker recovery, and less scarring which will enable you to confidently cut your hair very short if you desire.