do follicles really die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dps

Banned
Reaction score
is it true that follicles are not really dead, just dormant, even after years of not producing any hair?
that theoretically they can be activated back into producing terminal hair?

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
is it true that follicles are not really dead, just dormant, even after years of not producing any hair?
that theoretically they can be activated back into producing terminal hair?

Follicles don't "die", unless the tissue root disintegrates, it just gets smaller and weaker, until it barely penetrates the thick layer of skin anymore. But follicles don't have souls, so they're always regenerating as long as you're living.

It's a complex system.

800px-Skin.png

dps

Banned
Reaction score
so... theoretically it is possible to somehow jump start them back into producing terminal hair, even after decades of being dormant?
just knowing this gives me hope.

xRedStaRx

Established Member
Reaction score
so... theoretically it is possible to somehow jump start them back into producing terminal hair, even after decades of being dormant?
just knowing this gives me hope.

Yes of course. They aren't dormant, they're just too short and thin to see. I believe several experiments showed that hair follicles can reverse miniaturization after decades. I remember seeing one done on humans in the research section.

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think it's been proven hundreds of times derma-rolling does nothinggggg...

But it's just a thought that it could help those supposedly weak hair follicles that can't reach the surface. Hell I bet those hair follicles are so weak they'll practically disintegrate in seconds from the environment around them, or from a simple light breeze. Hell if I know.

dps

Banned
Reaction score
derma rolling? is that a form of needling the skin?
did you think I was going to suggest that.

well anyway, this is VERY good news to hear, like now I feel, heck, even if I lose the battle, I still have my precious follicles, and someday well find out how to revive them.

I think the future is in stem cell, don't you think?

hiko

Reaction score
Yes, a bald person still has all his hair follicles. The challenge is figuring out how to "wake them up". But it seems most efforts right now are towards cloning hairs inside a lab and then surgically grafting them on your head, rather than regrowing your original hair.

Histogen and Replicel are the big names right now working on hair regrowth. If neither of them pan out, we're SOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.