do anyone else feel "sickly" from losing hair?

whymewhynow

Reaction score
I workout to maintain a good physical health. I am very fit. I still can't shake that propaganda in my head... You know the ads "a healthy head of hair". So if you're losing your hair then you mustn't be healthy.

We are taught to connect losing hair with ill health: cancer, malnutrition.. I'm healthy but I don't feel like it... I see my hairline receding. MY HAIR FALLING OUT WTF. I don't get how you maintain a healthy body image in this situation.

My image is not as a "balding man". I know you will attack me for being shallow... But it's not me... Balding is attached to many traits that are bad... I don't want this associative baggage.

Balding seems to steal your identity. Then it gives you a new passport with a "character" you don't like. If I was born bald it wouldn't matter so much. I just feel robbed.Empty. Someone I'm not.

My worst nightmare growing up was evolving into that fat, middle age, BALD man. I wanted to look younger than my real age. I wanted to look after myself. Thanks to balding that is not possible. I may be fit and healthy but people will say I am old... Notice all the celebrities who are famed for looking younger have a full head of hair. Even the NW2s looked "aged". I guess now I'll be that generic, middle age, balding man , the only thing missing will be the fat part but who knows what happens when I lose motivation thanks to this disease. Why do some people get to choose to look young and healthy ???? It's just not fair how nature works.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do some people get to choose to look young and healthy ???? It's just not fair how nature works.

O'rly? Part of the problem is the society that us, ppl, have built for ourselves. When our ancestors were running around half-naked and chasing for something to eat in the forest and died around the age of 30, looks didn't matter that much, you had other concerns. Now we have too much spare time to think about these things and the salesmen and such work so ****ing hard to make this stuff matter more than it really should. Everything is so image-related today it's ridiculous. Humanity is going down the toilet, that's for sure. A hundred years ago the average life expectancy was like 50 yrs, now it's well over 70. It's been discussed a lot that the human body probably isn't meant to last that long, 'cause it starts to degenerate at around the age of 30. There would be a lot less NW6-7's if we'd die at 50 :D.

HairGuru22

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree the same thoughts that are running through your head are similar as mine. I too got demotivated by my receding hairline to the point that I started just training from home instead of the gym. Its demoralizing being there with those NW1's in the gym. My hairline is on lifesupport yoo!

VeprSuper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I could see how that could be. If you have alot of worry and stress over it, you WILL feel sickly.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i agree strongly op.

that "old man" and "cancer" feeling one gets from hair loss makes me feel freakish and horrible. weak, impotent, sickly, unhealthy, drug addict-like . . . . . goddamn theres a lot of negative associations with hair loss

and then when u think about your olden days when your hair was normal . . . . . god ****ing dammit it hurts emotionally.

that premature mid life crisis :(

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing to feel ashamed of OP. I think a very very slim majority of people that are going bald (especially severely, or at a young age) feel completely fine about it. There's nothing unhealthy about taking pride in your appearance. I'm in the same boat you are, I use to work out seriously... I was benching 225 for reps at 160 lbs around 10-13% body fat. I wouldn't say I'm at the point where I look like I'm going bald, but my hairline has definitely moved back too much for my comfort and it is a very difficult issue to deal with. I personally am just trying to treat it to the best of my abilities and hoping that I will know when the time is if I ever have to call it quits and adjust my looks to pull off the Vin diesel look. I'm not sure how old you are but when I was 18 it was a shattering process but now that i'm almost 21 it's just sort of a big issue i'm trying to combat, it doesnt feel like the end of the world. Good Luck man, don't let your confidence go to **** because that really is the game changer for a lot of those "bald loser" types.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the media has created a distorted view of the world. You don't see a lot of balding men in movies and whey they do they either are a funny character or a tough action guy. Those roles don't exist in reality. It pissed me off when I found out that Hugh Laurie is balding badly but in the show House MD they made him wear a wig. Why do they do that? It's of course to make his character because balding doesn't "fit" in their balding stereotypes.

People are going bald like crazy in real life. The vast majority of adult males are balding, it's just that some are lucky to go bald slowly. I remember the actor that played Al Bundy was balding in the 80s and still has some hair today. I think his type of slow balding won't cause emotional stress, especially when it starts later in life. This is what people don't understand. It's very difficult for a guy under 30 to have severe hair loss because balding is the exact opposite of youth.

Society doesn't really care about you. Society doesn't like complaining, especially women. It's hard and unfair but when you understand how cruel the world really is it, you will feel better. If hair loss is difficult to handle then you should seek treatment. There is that guy "hairlossfromsteroids", that dude is bald but had a frontal transplant, uses topik for his bald spot and takes the big 3. He has a site, good looking loser where he talk about a lot of stuff. I don't think he has a problem with women lol.

When people say be confident, they don't really think you're going to gain "points" with women. What they mean is you won't have even more negative points, it's just damage control so it makes sense to be has confident as you can. It's also good for your mind, you have on life and you must be happy, focusing for nothing (not doing anything about it) about your defects will just lower your quality of life.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
Wait until you become actually bald.

Confidence doesn't mean jack to women and society.

You won't be saved by turning yourself into a Vin Diesel stereotype.

And the vast majority of bald men feel like crap about it, even if they don't want to admit it.

How are you going to take pride in the fact that you are bald? You think that will fool the ladies?

"I'm 5"4', I have crooked teeth, I'm bald, I'm hairy, I have a severe acne, but I don't care, I take pride in my appearance!" That's self-delusion at its best.

As I always say, you can't escape reality. And if you try, it will find you and hit you with a vengeance.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. I'm not trying to say "your worthless if going bald makes you feel like a loser", what I'm saying is that if you are totally bald and there's nothing left to do, your options are either to accept it and optimize yourself in other ways or just let go of yourself and turn into the generic balding loser.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
There's always something to do about it. I even saw an alopecia universalis patient get SMP.

You don't have to feel like a loser of course, but society and women will make sure that you know your place.

Striking up a conversation with the hot 20 year old in a bar? Forget it.

She and her friends will not let a creepy old (well that they perceive to be old) bald guy hit on her.

Then you will most likely adopt the "sour grapes mindset": "Oh I don't need these superficial broads, I'm going to find myself an educated 34 year old career woman! That's what real men like!"

What's sad is that even the "mature woman" will reject you for being bald.

What do you mean "general balding loser"? Can't you just be normal? Like not fat, and dressing well like you did when you had hair? You mean you need to become huge so people will accept your baldness?

I definitely understand what your saying, I'm not even sure what's being disagreed on here. When I say general balding loser I also mentioned letting yourself go, as in you let one aesthetic flaw (admittedly a big one) ruin your whole look and just become the typical horse shoe hair grown out beer belly guy who gave up. But anyways yeah I like your mindset "there's always something to do" like SMP would be an awesome idea if your full bald. If a dude gets jacked, get an SMP and dresses with style I bet for sure he'll be considered at least average-good looking.

blackg

Reaction score
Wait until you become actually bald.

Confidence doesn't mean jack to women and society.

You won't be saved by turning yourself into a Vin Diesel stereotype.

And the vast majority of bald men feel like crap about it, even if they don't want to admit it.

How are you going to take pride in the fact that you are bald? You think that will fool the ladies?

"I'm 5"4', I have crooked teeth, I'm bald, I'm hairy, I have a severe acne, but I don't care, I take pride in my appearance!" That's self-delusion at its best.

As I always say, you can't escape reality. And if you try, it will find you and hit you with a vengeance.

Your right. You can have all the confidence in the world. But the blessed simple folk out there will be sure to remind you of your place. Most members of society feel its their duty to remind a bald/balding man of his position on the social ladder.
"We can't let these baldies get too far ahead of themselves, now!"

And regarding "confidence"... what sort of confidence is it when you mentally have to conjure it up everyday anyway?? Just so you can face this world.
That must be exhausting. Fake confidence is what it is.
I'd rather just be myself. A realist.