dNovo new promissing player in the stemcell race

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Check out FT's interview with dnovo.
That interview was Ernesto like answering like 3 questions via email very obtusely
EL: For our proof of principle, our current method involves surgically removing a strip of skin and placing our induced hair stem cells; it does not involve injection like PRP. So, in terms of invasiveness, it is similar to strip surgery. These procedures can be further optimized in the future for less invasive methods.
So their current method consists of taking a strip of skin and “placing” “induced” stem cells on it? What does it even mean?

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That interview was Ernesto like answering like 3 questions via email very obtusely

So their current method consists of taking a strip of skin and “placing” “induced” stem cells on it? What does it even mean?
that is a good question....

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing that we don't get is what he is doing exactly to get the process to work in mice. If it is just adding hair stem cells, why does the human skin need to be removed in a strip and then placed in a mouse? I would think the process could be done differently to get the hairs where we want them to grow.

44core

My Regimen
Reaction score
They convert skin cells into hair cells, removing a stripe of the skin and replacing it with these new cells + a supporting layer. That's how it worked on mice.
There is a general problem with planting stem cells back into the body. However, the goal is to just remove skin cells like we're doing it with donor follicles, and replacing them with hair cells.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
They convert skin cells into hair cells, removing a stripe of the skin and replacing it with these new cells + a supporting layer. That's how it worked on mice.
There is a general problem with planting stem cells back into the body. However, the goal is to just remove skin cells like we're doing it with donor follicles, and replacing them with hair cells

they need to remove the skin from the entire head if someone has no hair at all?

44core

My Regimen
Reaction score
they didn't mention anything about that but I think so. I guess they just found out this method is working in mice and don't really know more yet.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Lujan envisions harvesting tiny cells from the human scalp, similar to a hair transplant, and replacing them with the patient’s re-programmed stem cells. However, researchers agree that it will take significantly longer than a year for this procedure to be approved in humans, not least because it’s ethically controversial."
can anyone explain why this method is etically controversial?

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Lujan envisions harvesting tiny cells from the human scalp, similar to a hair transplant, and replacing them with the patient’s re-programmed stem cells. However, researchers agree that it will take significantly longer than a year for this procedure to be approved in humans, not least because it’s ethically controversial."
can anyone explain why this method is etically controversial?
Beacuse the current mathod is taking out some of the skin , injecting the cells to it and put the skin back to your head.

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If this is the actual method, then I misunderstood the original process. Sadly, at the moment this is definitely not a cure. I was thinking skin from any part of the body could be used. This is thinking more in the way of human induced pluripotent stem cells.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If this is the actual method, then I misunderstood the original process. Sadly, at the moment this is definitely not a cure. I was thinking skin from any part of the body could be used. This is thinking more in the way of human induced pluripotent stem cells.
i thought it was an injectable solution

HMI 115 IS THE CURE dude

My Regimen
Reaction score

i think it meant they will remove a strip and inject the stem cells into those follicles to promote production/cloningof more hair follicles for transplantation

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's an animal model dude, and they point blank said they will find ways to make it less invasive. They'd have to, how could they possibly use this on humans if they had to remove all your skin in strips.

LoWS

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you guys heard of the company Turn Bio? They seem to be doing kind of the same thing but directly on human scalp(Reprogramming to make our native hair stem cell younger) and they are supposed to start clinical trial this year (as per interview given on FT). I know its still in the scifi releam now but if successful (and if they start trial st all)it would be game changer plus mRNA is cheap too.

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you guys heard of the company Turn Bio? They seem to be doing kind of the same thing but directly on human scalp(Reprogramming to make our native hair stem cell younger) and they are supposed to start clinical trial this year (as per interview given on FT). I know its still in the scifi releam now but if successful (and if they start trial st all)it would be game changer plus mRNA is cheap too.
I looked up Turn Bio. Thank you for telling me about this group. I found CEO Geoffrey Hamilton's telephone from Stemson Therapeutics and tried reaching him twice but he never returns my phone calls. This is disappointing. I'm glad so many other groups are working on this. Is it possible you could find for us this interview showing the trials beginning this year for Turn Bio? Here is an interview with the CEO of Turn.Bio:
Clinical Trial Target & Timeline for Aging Diseases | Ms. Anja Krammer - CEO of Turn.Bio | PART II - YouTube First Clinical Target of ERA | Human Skin | Part V | Dr. Vittorio Sebastiano | Stanford University - YouTube

Last edited:

LoWS

My Regimen
Reaction score
I looked up Turn Bio. Thank you for telling me about this group. I found CEO Geoffrey Hamilton's telephone from Stemson Therapeutics and tried reaching him twice but he never returns my phone calls. This is disappointing. I'm glad so many other groups are working on this. Is it possible you could find for us this interview showing the trials beginning this year for Turn Bio? Here is an interview with the CEO of Turn.Bio:
Clinical Trial Target & Timeline for Aging Diseases | Ms. Anja Krammer - CEO of Turn.Bio | PART II - YouTube

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I left a message for Anja Krammer. I am hoping she returns the call and fills me in on latest with the preclinical results and likelihood of a phase 1 clinical trial by the end of the year. Sadly, and unsurprisingly, they were hoping to get to clinical trials by last year in the video interview, but this didn't happen. Always the case with these companies missing deadlines it seems. I am hoping for good news to report.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I left a message for Anja Krammer. I am hoping she returns the call and fills me in on latest with the preclinical results and likelihood of a phase 1 clinical trial by the end of the year. Sadly, and unsurprisingly, they were hoping to get to clinical trials by last year in the video interview, but this didn't happen. Always the case with these companies missing deadlines it seems. I am hoping for good news to report.
who will this be the solution for? for completely bald people or as a prevention against baldness?

LoWS

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO they will start q2 2023 if the preclinical succeeds. This is a paradigm shifting technology, they are adding the yamanaka factors without the cancer component and turn off the process before the cell lose their identity . FDA won't give permission easily since they will be directly doing the process in human not like dnovo.

LoWS

My Regimen
Reaction score
who will this be the solution for? for completely bald people or as a prevention against baldness?
IN THEORY, it could give you a juvenile hairline with juvenile density so does many other treatments in the pipeline (like HMI) but until we see human results this are all speculation.