dNovo new promissing player in the stemcell race

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Again, this is not necessarily the case. The idea of taking the human origin hairs on the mouse and transplanting them into people is a possibility to try at this point. It's only a matter of them getting the will to do it. The question that needs to be known is why these cloned human hair cells can grow on mice but not on humans. This is the mysterious area that needs to be understood. Why are mice so great at growing hair whereas people it seems our bodies want fewer hairs after a while.

I mean, isn't the idea to transplant the hair that they are able to grow in mice to a human so obvious that these researchers must have come across it already? It would highly surprise me if it would be a novel concept to them. I guess they are either considering or planning it or have rejected the idea for reasons unbeknownst to us.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DNovo is probably company in very early stage with 4-5 people in it. Not a company with 50 people or 20 scientists. They have proof of concept (on mice), and it will take probably couple of more years till they move on next stage.
Their mathod is diffrent and skip stage that stemson has to do .
Their mathod is also super fast only injecting the cells.
while stemson need to inject into 3d printed follicle.

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
3d printed follicle? Where did you read this?

For the investors in these companies, so many fail, I'm amazed any of them get people who want to buy into them. It's like buying expensive lottery tickets. I guess enough pay off big to make it worth gambling.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just injecting the cells on human heads doesn’t regrow hair. It was tried before, and failed. You will see.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just injecting the cells on human heads doesn’t regrow hair. It was tried before, and failed. You will see.
Their mathod is diffrent . Read about the process in their website .
and the fact that somone failed dosent mean other wont make it

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Joxy: Could you explain why it takes around two or so years to move from the current stage to the next stage? Why is this so time consuming? Wouldn't it make sense for dNovo to just follow the normal procedure of going from mice to larger mammals? I'm wondering too if ANY group yet has tried transplanting human hairs grown in mice to human scalps? This idea seems so obvious that if it hasn't been tried yet then I'd say these scientists aren't really too passionate about research. What pisses me off more is that these companies probably don't even go to forums such as this. They could use a communications person involved with research to deal with people like us, answer our questions and dare I say actually consider our ideas in their research. Sadly, unless we're the educated or monied class they look at us like we have no value to them. Also, could you imagine if dNovo and Stemson collaborated? Imagine how much quicker the progress would be. Both are in California. Sadly, it's the money aspect that doesn't allow this. Sharing technologies means money issues of who gets what those individuals don't want compromised.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
" Sadly, unless we're the educated or monied class they look at us like we have no value to them. "

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Joxy: Could you explain why it takes around two or so years to move from the current stage to the next stage? Why is this so time consuming? Wouldn't it make sense for dNovo to just follow the normal procedure of going from mice to larger mammals? I'm wondering too if ANY group yet has tried transplanting human hairs grown in mice to human scalps? This idea seems so obvious that if it hasn't been tried yet then I'd say these scientists aren't really too passionate about research. What pisses me off more is that these companies probably don't even go to forums such as this. They could use a communications person involved with research to deal with people like us, answer our questions and dare I say actually consider our ideas in their research. Sadly, unless we're the educated or monied class they look at us like we have no value to them. Also, could you imagine if dNovo and Stemson collaborated? Imagine how much quicker the progress would be. Both are in California. Sadly, it's the money aspect that doesn't allow this. Sharing technologies means money issues of who gets what those individuals don't want compromised.
I get the frustration, but it is highly illogical to think that those companies don't really want to succeed or are only interested in writing research papers. If there is a possible road to starting a new, highly profitable, business by transplanting human hair grown in rodents to humans most would take it. If ethics are the problem, these companies would move to nations that have no problem with using animals just to carry hair follicles.

If nobody is trying the idea, it is very probable that there is a good reason for that.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All of you MF thinks doing human trails is a a joke. Its the most important stage pf the company . They need to be 100 sure they got the right mathod , beacuse it will be impossible to get further invesment if its failed. Stemson and dnovo will take their time to be sure it wont flop in the “show time” . Thats why they want to prefect it on pigs .

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All of you MF thinks doing human trails is a a joke. Its the most important stage pf the company . They need to be 100 sure they got the right mathod , beacuse it will be impossible to get further invesment if its failed. Stemson and dnovo will take their time to be sure it wont flop in the “show time” . Thats why they want to prefect it on pigs .
You make a solid argument. It's just that the problem is we're left in the dark, too bad for us. This is one of the ways that money interests work against us. If only we could know the progress they've gotten so far.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You make a solid argument. It's just that the problem is we're left in the dark, too bad for us. This is one of the ways that money interests work against us. If only we could know the progress they've gotten so far.
Its not money intrest rather then company interest . A good company will only report on final or good results. If they still in the progress there is nothing to report.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
3d printed follicle? Where did you read this?

For the investors in these companies, so many fail, I'm amazed any of them get people who want to buy into them. It's like buying expensive lottery tickets. I guess enough pay off big to make it worth gambling.
It's because these funds are investing in 20-50 new companies each year, and statistically 1-2 of them will 100x-1000x the investment. It's not exactly a lottery ticket when you are investing in all of the top players in a field. One of them will hit.

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's because these funds are investing in 20-50 new companies each year, and statistically 1-2 of them will 100x-1000x the investment. It's not exactly a lottery ticket when you are investing in all of the top players in a field. One of them will hit.
The next thing I wonder is how much money they know to place in a company for investment? I wish these companies had a business plan available to know what's needed in their budget, so they have the money to do everything needed. For example, I think Stemson will need more money to do human trials when the time comes. I hope they aren't left high and dry like Dr. Tsuji and then the company folds.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
The next thing I wonder is how much money they know to place in a company for investment? I wish these companies had a business plan available to know what's needed in their budget, so they have the money to do everything needed. For example, I think Stemson will need more money to do human trials when the time comes. I hope they aren't left high and dry like Dr. Tsuji and then the company folds.
The funding comes in rounds to give the companies the money they need to hit the next milestones in their growth cycle. Stemson was given all the money it needs to get ready for human trials and have a completed primate model. After this is done, they will raise a series B that will fund them to human trial completion.

If they have a working model there is basically no way they will be left high and dry. The venture track sets up companies that are successful to keep receiving funding, because the investors at the bottom levels have a vested interest in protecting their investment value and seeing that the companies get funded either by themselves or by other firms.

Tsuji has a completely sh*t business model and that's why he's struggled to get financing the entire way.

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After reading this article I am more optimistic about dNovo's process. To skip the pluripotent process is ideal in that pluripotent cells are more difficult to control the cell type it becomes and has the potential to be cancerous. dNovo's system skips the pluripotent process somehow. Their technology is patent pending. The article mentions "We are further optimizing our technology platform and look forward to working with potential partners to bring our reprogramming system to the next stage.” If only we knew what needed to be optimized. It seems those mouse photos convinced me they got this figured out, of course growing hair on a mouse is easier. I wish that Dr. Ernesto Lujan and his team could cross the finish line already and help us out. It's so discouraging when it looks like the cure is there but it's not. Not that I'm dismissing Stemson, but my gut tells me dNovo is going to crack this code, problem is we hope that the world doesn't end first. I wish I knew the doctor personally. No one has yet interviewed him on video and he seems to keep a low profile. Anyway, here's the article, it's simple to read and to the point: dNovo's novel baldness treatment takes a direct route to hair regrowth (newatlas.com)

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
After reading this article I am more optimistic about dNovo's process. To skip the pluripotent process is ideal in that pluripotent cells are more difficult to control the cell type it becomes and has the potential to be cancerous. dNovo's system skips the pluripotent process somehow. Their technology is patent pending. The article mentions "We are further optimizing our technology platform and look forward to working with potential partners to bring our reprogramming system to the next stage.” If only we knew what needed to be optimized. It seems those mouse photos convinced me they got this figured out, of course growing hair on a mouse is easier. I wish that Dr. Ernesto Lujan and his team could cross the finish line already and help us out. It's so discouraging when it looks like the cure is there but it's not. Not that I'm dismissing Stemson, but my gut tells me dNovo is going to crack this code, problem is we hope that the world doesn't end first. I wish I knew the doctor personally. No one has yet interviewed him on video and he seems to keep a low profile. Anyway, here's the article, it's simple to read and to the point: dNovo's novel baldness treatment takes a direct route to hair regrowth (newatlas.com)
Can dnovo control the color, thickness and direction of hair growth?

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can dnovo control the color, thickness and direction of hair growth?
Good question. From the way it looks to me I would say yes likely this is the case (from the photos I see) but cannot prove it. The problem with dNovo is the lack of interviews done with the group. At least with Stemson, Geoff Hamilton explains the process rather thoroughly (of course I have more questions I'd love to know). Stemson seems more professional in their approach. dNovo needs to do more with giving live interviews and attending events to explaining their path forward. How will they proceed? When are they going to test their formula on different mammals? How is their funding and can they guarantee it for their next pre-clinical trial? When do they estimate a clinical trial? In what ways do they need to further develop their technologies? What equipment are they looking to acquire? What extra people do they need to hire or get outside help from to develop? Too many unknowns with them. They've got to be more professional to be taken more seriously. The difference is I have a feeling they have a better method of creating hair than Stemson but if we only knew what it was exactly. Company secret. I'm so confident dNovo's approach works I'd be willing to be one of their lab rats and give it a go. Both ways that dNovo and Stemson need to improve is provide a telephone number or a way to get live support. The problem is none of them are selling anything yet, so I guess they don't see the need, but people have so many questions they'd like answered which they probably have no time for regrettably. What I like about Stemson is they want to make progress as quickly as possible. dNovo needs to get their intentions out there of what they're planning to do. Maybe the staff there is camera shy, not good or confident with live interviews? Not everyone is cut out for that sort of thing. Some are just introverts, good at developing technologies but not very social beings.

Last edited:

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good question. From the way it looks to me I would say yes likely this is the case (from the photos I see) but cannot prove it. The problem with dNovo is the lack of interviews done with the group. At least with Stemson, Geoff Hamilton explains the process rather thoroughly (of course I have more questions I'd love to know). Stemson seems more professional in their approach. dNovo needs to do more with giving live interviews and attending events to explaining their path forward. How will they proceed? When are they going to test their formula on different mammals? How is their funding and can they guarantee it for their next pre-clinical trial? When do they estimate a clinical trial? In what ways do they need to further develop their technologies? What equipment are they looking to acquire? What extra people do they need to hire or get outside help from to develop? Too many unknowns with them. They've got to be more professional to be taken more seriously. The difference is I have a feeling they have a better method of creating hair than Stemson but if we only knew what it was exactly. Company secret. I'm so confident dNovo's approach works I'd be willing to be one of their lab rats and give it a go. Both ways that dNovo and Stemson need to improve is provide a telephone number or a way to get live support. The problem is none of them are selling anything yet, so I guess they don't see the need, but people have so many questions they'd like answered which they probably have no time for regrettably. What I like about Stemson is they want to make progress as quickly as possible. dNovo needs to get their intentions out there of what they're planning to do. Maybe the staff there is camera shy, not good or confident with live interviews? Not everyone is cut out for that sort of thing. Some are just introverts, good at developing technologies but not very social beings.
the only problem i money...

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, they are 3 or 4 people. If they would be spending a lot of time on courting the press, they wouldn't have the resources to work on their actual product and we would suspect that they are all about getting investment-money and actually succeeding comes second.

And let's be honest. Investors with real money will know this company and if it is as promising as we think it is, the will likely be negotiating behind the scenes already. The media could be used to generate a hype in the public, but for investments I don't they are needed.