dNovo new promissing player in the stemcell race

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are we aware that patents are always pending at some point? That after never granted immediately upon application

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
such a price would be very advantageous, but I have a question why would it be so cheap?
This is similar to what Replicel was trying to do. Only replicel couldn't expand dermal papilla cells, they had to use DSC cells and hope they would repopulate the DP. That didn't work. What this company is doing is much better, but the process should not be significant more involved. Replicel quoted an expected retail price of $1,800.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is similar to what Replicel was trying to do. Only replicel couldn't expand dermal papilla cells, they had to use DSC cells and hope they would repopulate the DP. That didn't work. What this company is doing is much better, but the process should not be significant more involved. Replicel quoted an expected retail price of $1,800.
the price of 10k $ would be affordable for the vast majority of people, in terms of profits these people would make a fortune

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Paul Graham thinks it’s a red flag when a startup puts “patent pending” in their description (so stuffing that terms many times like dNovo did is a multiple of red flags)

but some people here apparently doesn’t have the cerebral capacity to understand why so I’ll leave at that

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t know. Replicel was aiming to stimulate dead hairs back to life, while dNovo is trying to create new ones?

Their marketing speak is rather loose so it’s hard to know for sure, but their name comes from de novo which implies brand new hairs

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Paul Graham thinks it’s a red flag when a startup puts “patent pending” in their description (so stuffing that terms many times like dNovo did is a multiple of red flags)

but some people here apparently doesn’t have the cerebral capacity to understand why so I’ll leave at that
Does he think it's a red flag, or does he just not want to wait? Obviously if the patent is denied then a company has no business so its not wise to invest unless you have a high degree of certainty that it will be approved, and you are getting good terms

Last edited:

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Also they probably waiting for the patent to approved , in order to make more moves who knows

poopfeast420

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It means that they are pushing the marketing angle too hard. And people usually do that to overcompensate a lack of product substance. That’s the point Paul G was making I believe.
A patent is assumed in biotech otherwise it's worthless. Considering that they are at ycombinator I don't think it's a huge deal.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score

Dude, the irony is painful. Paul Graham is a founder of Y Combinator, the startup accelerator who funded these guys.

Do you know who Paul Graham is? He literally paid them himself yet you're using him as a reason why these guys are a red flag :rolleyes:

Last edited:

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, the irony is painful. Paul Graham is a founder of Y Combinator, the startup accelerator who funded these guys.

Do you know who Paul Graham is? He literally paid them himself yet you're using him as a reason why these guys are a red flag :rolleyes:
Dude, put 2 + 2 together - I posted his quote because precisely of who he is, it so naive of your part to think it was just a coincidence that he is behind of YC, lol

But Paul Graham is not running YC anymore, dude moved to England and doesn’t participate, at least directly, in their investments process for years. But if he was still involved in reading company applications, he would sure roll his eyes at the “patent pending” stuffing dNovo put in their website. That’s the irony.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
he would sure roll his eyes at the “patent pending” stuffing dNovo put in their website. That’s the irony.
Why? The patent is pending, what is wrong with that? What do you want them to say?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, put 2 + 2 together - I posted his quote because precisely of who he is, it so naive of your part to think it was just a coincidence that he is behind of YC, lol

But Paul Graham is not running YC anymore, dude moved to England and doesn’t participate, at least directly, in their investments process for years. But if he was still involved in reading company applications, he would sure roll his eyes at the “patent pending” stuffing dNovo put in their website. That’s the irony.
They're using the exact same philosophies that he used when he founded it so I'm not sure I understand what your point is. They've raised like 2.5 million now or something, can't believe it with all those red flags.

Last edited:

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why? The patent is pending, what is wrong with that? What do you want them to say?
They could say somewhere that they have a patent pending something, but the way they put it in the text, repeatedly, make it seem like they are using the term as a vanity metric trying to impress the uneducated audience on that subject

Look, if Pauk Graham gets bad a knee jerk reaction after seeing a certain term being used in a company description you can bet that’s not for nothing. There is a pattern there.

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They could say somewhere that they have a patent pending something, but the way they put it in the text, repeatedly, make it seem like they are using the term as a vanity metric trying to impress the uneducated audience on that subject

Look, if Pauk Graham gets bad a knee jerk reaction after seeing a certain term being used in a company description you can bet that’s not for nothing. There is a pattern there.
This guy got PhD from Stanford University (6th ranked in USA), and postdoctoral degree at Harvard University (2nd ranked in USA). Also, bachelor degree from University of California Irvine (36th ranked in USA), so you call this guy fraud? Jesus...

Hairs on mice that he reproduced are best so far that I have ever seen before. Plus, all those hairs are done with human stem cells.

Maybe this guy will fail in human trials, maybe he will do nothing, but at least give them a chance, and stop doing conspiracy theories everywhere.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score

Screenshot_20220130-113629_Brave.jpg

He's not even referring to biotech. If you really think the cure for hair loss is a bad investment because they patented it then don't invest.

Cardinal~

My Regimen
Reaction score
PG's background is software and historically the vast majority of YC companies have been software startups. His comment about patents is almost certainly relevant to those. Things maybe different in the medical world. I wouldn't read too much into this.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This guy got PhD from Stanford University (6th ranked in USA), and postdoctoral degree at Harvard University (2nd ranked in USA). Also, bachelor degree from University of California Irvine (36th ranked in USA), so you call this guy fraud? Jesus...

Hairs on mice that he reproduced are best so far that I have ever seen before. Plus, all those hairs are done with human stem cells.

Maybe this guy will fail in human trials, maybe he will do nothing, but at least give them a chance, and stop doing conspiracy theories everywhere.
Another thing that bothers me is that they claim to have phds from x and y and z universities working for them but don’t bother to name or list them on their home page. Another sign that they are trying very hard to look bigger than they actually are.