dNovo new promissing player in the stemcell race

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The fact that they have been through YC and probably got some seed funding is good and all (even though AFAIK the YC partners have next to none experience in the biotech sector), but I couldn’t care less about the mouse pic some people are drooling over here.

Cmon people, researchers have been able to grow hair on mice for more than 2 decades now. That pic shouldn’t impress anyone in 2022S
Scientists now use CRISPR/Cas9 technology to edit mice genetics very closely to humans, but still I don’t know why scientists today doesn’t use pigs like model to verify their technology. Skin of pigs is very similar to human skin.

Yes, I agree with you that everyone can grown hair on mice today, but the quality of hairs produced by reprogramming, hair cycles, hair colour, hair thickness, hair genomics is what matters. Not all scientists were able to grown hair on mice identical to those on human heads. Plus, dNovo claims that they grown hair using only human hair stem cells on mice which is totally different than most scientists who mixed hair and mice stem cells on their experiments...

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Scientists now use CRISPR/Cas9 technology to edit mice genetics very closely to humans, but still I don’t know why scientists today doesn’t use pigs like model to verify their technology. Skin of pigs is very similar to human skin.

Yes, I agree with you that everyone can grown hair on mice today, but the quality of hairs produced by reprogramming, hair cycles, hair colour, hair thickness, hair genomics is what matters. Not all scientists were able to grown hair on mice identical to those on human heads. Plus, dNovo claims that they grown hair using only human hair stem cells on mice which is totally different than most scientists who mixed hair and mice stem cells on their experiments...
because pigs are much harder to breed, they have much longer lives and hit puberty much later, they are also much larger and more aggressive and thus harder to work with, there might also be ethical issues when it comes to living conditions and it is just more expensive. usually for that money you might as well do a human trial, pig trials are just useful when small animal studies are promising and doing a reql human study is too risky or dangerous because the tech is so new

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Regardless of how impressive this organization is, more competition is always a good thing for customers as it incentivizes other companies to work harder.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Regardless of how impressive this organization is, more competition is always a good thing for customers as it incentivizes other companies to work harder.
after all, these scientists work at ease, this is alopecia, not covid, they don't give a sh*t whether it works or not

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If they supposedly can create brand new hair stem cells from a drop of blood. Then create them into a syringe & inject into a human balding scalp..

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
If they supposedly can create brand new hair stem cells from a drop of blood. Then create them into a syringe & inject into a human balding scalp..
That's essentially what they are doing

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they didn't think of this!!

-specter-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Based on the mouse pic they already solve the hair direction problem ,and hair thickness , they passed stemson…IMO
from what I understand they do not inject new micro hf but go to restore the balance of healthy stem cells in existing hf

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not the same thing. These guys are suppling new DP cells to grow existing follicles. Stemson is creating cloned follicles from blank cells.
Which make the new company 10 times better .
This company only inject the cell and you can go back to your country.

with stemson even if they can create for you 20k graft only the surgery itself will take 1 years to complete (with 6month break) , also survive rate depend on the surgen and many more problems

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
from what I understand they do not inject new micro hf but go to restore the balance of healthy stem cells in existing hf
They inject new DP cells , this is not hairclone path, beacuse they reprogram the cells to act diffrent . As you can see with the mice , the mice bald geneticly, the hair that came out from it is HUMAN hair not mouse hair. So it will be like a prp session and you are good to go

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which make the new company 10 times better .
This company only inject the cell and you can go back to your country.

with stemson even if they can create for you 20k graft only the surgery itself will take 1 years to complete (with 6month break) , also survive rate depend on the surgen and many more problems
Sure, but only if your follicles are not full of perifollicular fibrosis, otherwise you get whatever is possible at whatever stage you are of balding. Clearly this will be a better approach if successful, natural hair will always be superior to cloning or transplants.

Nothing you said about Stemson is correct, there would be no density restrictions and it would be done in one go. Survival rate will have nothing to do with a surgeon, they are not transplanting live follicles. It's biodegradable scaffolds that contain the material to create a follicle once placed into the scalp, so the survival rate would be whatever Stemson achieves through its product. It's like getting a tiny piece of plastic placed into your skin with some bio material at the end.

Last edited:

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure, but only if your follicles are not full of perifollicular fibrosis, otherwise you get whatever is possible at whatever stage you are of balding. Clearly this will be a better approach if successful, natural hair will always be superior to cloning or transplants.

Nothing you said about Stemson is correct, there would be no density restrictions and it would be done in one go. Survival rate will have nothing to do with a surgeon, they are not transplanting live follicles. It's biodegradable scaffolds that contain the material to create a follicle once placed into the scalp, so the survival rate would be whatever Stemson achieves through its product. It's like getting a tiny piece of plastic placed into your skin with some bio material at the end.
You cant do more then 6k graft at one time , the follicels need blood supply , even Zarev break it to 6 month and another 6 month. And I believe that when deNovo will come out with their mathod stemson would have to adapt to their approuch .

poopfeast420

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You cant do more then 6k graft at one time , the follicels need blood supply , even Zarev break it to 6 month and another 6 month. And I believe that when deNovo will come out with their mathod stemson would have to adapt to their approuch .
We don't know if Stemson implants are as involved as FUE. Does a surgeon need to cut slits to implant stemsons scaffolds?