DIY home PRP (platelet-rich plasma)

ScottSummers

My Regimen
Reaction score
Studies in 2020 are concluding PRP + microneedling is the most effective hair loss treatment --much more effective than either oral finasteride or Min.

The reason some forum members didn't get results from PRP might be that it needs to be done once a month forever. Also, some professionals might be doing it wrong.

PRP can be made at home with a $65 centrifuge off Amazon.

HairLoss treatments ranked - Microneedling + PRP + LLLT (2020).JPG

Last edited:

ScottSummers

My Regimen
Reaction score
MESOTHERAPY GUNS:
"Patients treated with this protocol [guns, not manual injections] were found to have greater increases in hair count and total hair density than patients treated with manual injections." [2018]

Many YouTubers use the EZ Injector mesotherapy gun. Demonstration video.
It creates a vacuum to lift up the skin, and thus guarantee a perfect injection depth.

PURCHASING:
-Some bought it here: $180. Discount code: ELLIE10
-Others bought it on AliExpress for cheaper. (Example seller for $73.)
-This seems to be the same product on Amazon for $130.

Advice on using the EZ Injector, which maybe reduces leakage:
"I learned that having the tube and cartridge connection point was best facing up, not down. I think there was less chance for the product to fill the tube when it’s facing up and away rather than down." [Source].

ScottSummers

My Regimen
Reaction score
CENTRIFUGES:

The Natural Kaos mobile app ($10 per month) has a community of people experimenting with home PRP (mostly for skin anti-aging). (YouTube recently unjustly banned Natural Kaos' channel for teaching women how to do DIY skincare treatments.)

This registered nurse has made these great videos on her experience with home PRP. (If she posts in the NK app a request for me to take these links down, I'll do so.)

The more expensive centrifuges might create PRP with even higher growth factors due to lower vibrations stressing the cells less, and because the manufacturers have tested the platelet concentration from different permutations in protocols with their particular centrifuge. (The g-force of the same RPMs varies depending on the centrifuge.)

ScottSummers

My Regimen
Reaction score
PRP vs PRF:

Many conditions that are being treated with PRP respond even better to PRF (Platelet-Rich Fibrin), which centrifuges the blood at lower RPMs for just a few minutes. It forms a natural clot, which lasts in the body for days, releasing continual growth hormones.

I spoke to a local hair restoration clinic, and they said PRF is done more for e.g. dental surgery, and PRP is done for hair loss, but it's not clear to me if that's really the case.

For PRF (and maybe PRP?) the $3,000 horizontal centrifuges seem to be the top of the line, as they stress the platelets the least. But the $65 centrifuges on Amazon might also result in excellent growth factor concentrations.

(Some YouTubers have had trouble getting PRF to work with the EZ Injector gun, since it's thicker, but it's possible different RPM speeds and different centrifuge durations result in PRF that's liquid enough for that gun.)

Last edited:

ScottSummers

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some clinics say they test the platelet concentration each time they do PRP.

For somebody wanting to verify their DIY setup is achieving a high-concentration of platelets, it might be possible to have a vial of their PRP tested somewhere.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Studies in 2020 are concluding PRP + microneedling is the most effective hair loss treatment --much more effective than either oral finasteride or Min.

The reason some forum members didn't get results from PRP might be that it needs to be done once a month forever. Also, some professionals might be doing it wrong.

PRP can be made at home with a $65 centrifuge off Amazon.

View attachment 168211
Yikes! Makes sense though with so many complaining that it worsened their hair outcome. Plus how well does it work long-term if you do it for say 24 months? "As Spicoli was told by Stolz: "It only causes brain damage if you use it, like every day for a month".