Discussions on lace base with poly perimeter

roastedgarlic

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi ,
Bit of background
I have been wearing a hair system for a year now ,I have only worn thin skin poly units so far .I get my hair cut , around 3-4 inches in the front and shorter at the back with skin faded sides.I wear it in a quiff
Over the past year I have realised , looking good is less important than looking real :) . I am planning to growout the sides a bit to get a better blend and was thinking a of changing the base to something more comfortable in the coming summer . Although I do like the ease of cleanup that my skin system provides
I was actually thinking of going for either
a) Lace (Swiss/French) with skin all around - That way I can Tape the sides ,and front . and have easy cleanup . Would I still be able to do something like a quiff or a faux hawk , with tape in the front , or is glue mandatory ? I normally have a partially visible hairline .
b) Lace (Swiss/French ) skin sides and back lace front - That way I can use glue in the front ,which I want to avoid . It does get quite hot and I dont want to deal with the mess glue seeping into the hair .

Questions
a) Which one do you think I should go for ?
b) For either of the cases , how thin of a perimeter should I do ? I have bought from lordHair in the past ,the sales rep tells me 0.08 is the thinnest I can go with something like this ,or the sysem wont be sturdy ? Is that true . ( After getting to know the general sentiment of people here , I am thinking of getting it from somehwere else this time )
c) Would love to hear from someone who tapes the front and still has an exposed /partially exposed hairline . I would be happy to avoid the glue all together .

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had two french laces pieces w/ non-UTS poly perimeter from the same manufactorer. They were inexpensive & exceedingly durable, but had borderline ridiculous density. Never shed either. If they did, it wouldn't have mattered, but the knots couldn't be phased.

The unit, owing to the thickness of the poly, is quite hot. I also had medium density so that probably also played a factor in the heat I felt as well.

If I could use tape - I'm allergic to it - I'd probably do the poly perimeter - but only in a horseshoe shape, w/ my hairline area being composed of lace, which I'd glue or got2b down - because poly precludes the possibility of plucking the the hairline & knot-bleaching.

roastedgarlic

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I dont have any issues with tape ,actually I would prefer tape over glue , as it would make the cleanup easier. But I was wondering If I have a Lace front, and tape /glue , would I need to worry about the adhesive seeping through and making a mess with my hair ?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't have to use glue in front, there are a number of tapes that will work quite well, and if you go with a poly or skin perimeter... even better.

My customers that have switched from lace to lace + poly (partial or full) get MUCH longer, good bonding times.

If the quiff is done correctly... you should be ok... if it goes OUT and not BACK...

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had two french laces pieces w/ non-UTS poly perimeter from the same manufactorer. They were inexpensive & exceedingly durable, but had borderline ridiculous density. Never shed either. If they did, it wouldn't have mattered, but the knots couldn't be phased.

The unit, owing to the thickness of the poly, is quite hot. I also had medium density so that probably also played a factor in the heat I felt as well.

If I could use tape - I'm allergic to it - I'd probably do the poly perimeter - but only in a horseshoe shape, w/ my hairline area being composed of lace, which I'd glue or got2b down - because poly precludes the possibility of plucking the the hairline & knot-bleaching.
Hey Cotton where did you get those units from?