Diminished sex drive

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Guys, help me out :wacko:

Its been a long time since I've been here and I doubt theres anyone left who'd remember me.

I am 31, balding since 24. I currently take 1.25mg finasteride and 1ml minoxidil once a day. I have been doing this for almost four years (wow), and it has done wonders. My hair looks great.

However, since treatment, I have noticed a diminished sex drive. Between the finasteride, getting older, and smoking pot, I am not the horny bastard I used to be.

This hadn't been much of a concern because I hadn't been dating much. But I just found myself a beautiful 24 yo girlfriend. And I really want to keep up with her.

So, no more pot. I am thinking about lowering my dosage of finasteride. Other then that, I'm looking for advice on:

Supplements to increase my sex drive
or the far less desirable..
Alternatives to Finasteride

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

~Flux

G

I remember you!

Are you having trouble getting it up or is it that you do not crave it as much?

By the way, how is your hair holding up?

So

Established Member
Reaction score
First and foremost much of this is psychological, so I believe. However I do not denounce the prospect that Finasteride may cause a decrease in libido, as I myself from time to time luck the gusto to get down with the girlfriend.

But there is a culmination of events and variables which amount to this which include stress, depression, lifestyle (smoking, poor diet, lack of exercise), nutrition (again, diet). In general sedentary lifestyles are

My advice would be to refine your diet and lifestyle by adding wholesome nutritious foods with ample exercise. You may wish to add a multi mineral and vitamin and drink plenty of water. Honestly, that will fix you. But don't be fooled, it's not a change that will happen over night also! It may take a couple of months before you bring yourself to an acceptable level of fitness and so too libido.

hopewas

Reaction score
have you tried having sex with a man or jerking off to gay p**rn instead of sex with a woman or straight p**rn?..just kidding..sorry i couldn't resist

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:
I remember you!

Are you having trouble getting it up or is it that you do not crave it as much?

By the way, how is your hair holding up?
Cheers, badass. I remember you too.
I just dont crave it like I should. Perhaps So was on track as to why.
My hair is really doing great. It never got much thicker, but it definitly stopped thinning. A few times I stopped treatment (as I was unsure if I really needed it after all) an in a few months my scalp would get irritated and hair would start to fall out. But with continued treatments, all was well again. So I know I need it, and that its working. And my hair still does look better then when I initially started.

So said:
My advice would be to refine your diet and lifestyle by adding wholesome nutritious foods with ample exercise. You may wish to add a multi mineral and vitamin and drink plenty of water. Honestly, that will fix you. But don't be fooled, it's not a change that will happen over night also! It may take a couple of months before you bring yourself to an acceptable level of fitness and so too libido.
Yes, I fell into a sedentary lifestyle. I just started working out and eating right last week. Perhaps you're right, and this is all I need.

But if that does take several months, I could use an artifical boost in the interm.
hopewas said:
i'm an insensitive prick
:-x

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
It's the finasteride...

Jm0311

Reaction score
So said:
First and foremost much of this is psychological, so I believe. However I do not denounce the prospect that Finasteride may cause a decrease in libido, as I myself from time to time luck the gusto to get down with the girlfriend.

Denial...

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
why dont u just lower your finasteride dose?
I'm actually thinking of skipping a weeks worth of doses. Then dropping down to maybe 0.5mg/day or less.

"So" is partly right. I do remember that, even on finasteride, when I was lifting weights and eating whole foods (and not smoking at all), I was still pretty horny. Still it was not nearly as much as when I was in my early 20's, not working out and not on finasteride. I can see both sides of this argument.

I just bought a bottle of l-lysine. I'm going to take that, and vitamins, drink fluids, and try to get more sleep.

Any other suggestions?

I'm going to see her in two days.
Shes coming over and I have to be ready.
:shock:

IBM

Reaction score
You need a girl like Jm0311's avatar. If with nice face the better.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
You need a girl like Jm0311's avatar. If with nice face the better.
My girl is seriously hot.

The problem is mine.

G

flux,

Don't worry too much Just relax, you don't want to get performance anxiety. You will be fine. Just don't think about it. Its mostly in your head. Go running on the treadmill, maybe that will help.

Jm0311

Reaction score
hopewas said:
have you tried having sex with a man or jerking off to gay p**rn instead of sex with a woman or straight p**rn?..just kidding..sorry i couldn't resist

tried it..........it works :shock:

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm a 5 year finasteride guy.

I have been taking Horny Goat Weed from http://www.vitacost.com and my libido has increased and my equipment is now bigger. I cannot attribute those changes to anything else.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
badasshairday said:
Don't worry too much Just relax, you don't want to get performance anxiety. You will be fine. Just don't think about it. Its mostly in your head. Go running on the treadmill, maybe that will help.
Cheers, m8. I dont fee so anxious as I do just numb.

Right now, I just need to keep this girl coming back for more until the whole diet-drugfree-exercise bit kicks in.
klink said:
I'm a 5 year finasteride guy.

I have been taking Horny Goat Weed from http://www.vitacost.com and my libido has increased and my equipment is now bigger. I cannot attribute those changes to anything else.
This is the kind of advice i was hoping for.

While I'm generally skeptical of herbal supplements (saw palmetto, etc), it cant hurt to try.

How long 'till you noticed an effect? If this stuff can help (to whatever degree) within 24 hrs, I may just run down to the local supplement store and see if I can pick up a bottle.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I noticed a difference after a couple weeks, but I think I felt a little increase after a week.

Sides might be too strong a term for me... Between having our first child in 2005, working a lot, moving, and my wife expecting again, and not exercising, I haven't been Tony Testosterone lately.

Knendell

Established Member
Reaction score
I am kind of in the same situation. I met a woman the other night and not sure when or if we will hook up but I want to be at full mast. The good thing though was that when I was with her my unit started to work. But just want some extra backup.

G

Flux,

I have heard of horney goat weed and L-arginine being used as libido boosters. Just get back into shape man!