Diffusing/Thinning, body hair, and DHT

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Diffusing/Receding, body hair, and DHT

Man I can't stop reading up and researching this hair situation. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what is going on, even though I should probably go see a dermatologist soon. At any rate, I was curious as to the relationship of DHT with not only the receding/diffusing I am going thru, but to my body hair as well.

I've noticed that as my hair has slowly thinned out and receded over the last 6-7 years, I saw a major increase in body hair (chest, back, face) ..... of which I've been intensely embarrassed about to the point where my "man-scaping" occupies so much of my getting ready time. I honestly can't stand it and I'm so tired of it. It's like I'm fighting a war on two fronts here between my body hair and head hair.

After some of the various things I've read up to this point, I can't help but think my body might be producing too much DHT and of course I'm naturally predisposed to balding from it. When I trace the steps even further back, I can remember even marked changes in my head hair before the thinning started. My hair used to be thickened with lots of volume, but right around my late teens early twenties it suddenly went limp and real fine.

Other effects I'm curious about (and I've said this in my introduction thread) possibly stemming from my body over-converting testosterone into DHT, was the fact that when these problems really started, I noticed major body compisition changes. I had always been lean and even though I'm a die hard workout guy (all-natural) I've noticed that I just cannot maintain definition and I'm carrying more weight than ever. I also struggle with how erratic my energy levels are.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I just tend to get real deep into problem solving when something isn't right.

ryder

Established Member
Reaction score
how are your test levls?

im curious if test levels lower as test changes to dht? thus low test levels may be a sign of higher dht? and if so, anything ontop of finasteride able to help?

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
how are your test levls?

im curious if test levels lower as test changes to dht? thus low test levels may be a sign of higher dht? and if so, anything ontop of finasteride able to help?

No levels tested as of yet. Honestly, I got sick and tired of going to doctors after I got the run-round trying to problem solve some health issues I went thru 6-7 years ago. They were so stubborn and never wanted to run anything outside of normal panels. Alas, I'm going to attempt to see a new one soon. I've even considered just going to a lab place and paying full price to get things tested myself.

Also, I'm not currently on any kind of treatments for my hair loss. I'm at a breaking point though. My crown is starting to get really bad. I'm very depressed about it. I have pictures in my introduction thread if you wanna look:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...arly-30-s-and-fed-up-my-story(including-pics)

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Some more things come to mind which may have been brought on by too much DHT ...... in my mid teens I had issues with acne. These days I'm having cystic acne problems on the back of my head. On occasion I'll also get some cystic acne on my body. I had a really bad one on the side near my right rib cage and recently a couple that were on my chest. I commonly get oily skin.

MPBfighter

Reaction score
i am pretty sure there is a correlation between low testosterone and high DHT. my blood test showed that i was just below the normal levels of testosterone.

andersonlynch

Established Member
Reaction score
So it does means that your blood is low?

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Posted this in thread in the "Tell Your Story" section ..... but gonna put it here too .....

I've been doing a TON of research over the last month into my hair loss problem. It's basically just reminded me that my hormonal system is off regardless and has been for a very long time. I looked over some labs from even further back (2001) and there it was again .... high LDL, T4 at low end of the range, high bilirubin (they didn't run Testosterone because I was only 20-21 at the time). It is my belief that I've been doing things to antagonize this pre-existing condition.

Here are my thoughts at the present moment:

Pre-existing endocrine problem (possibly thryoid) exasperated by years of stress which could be responsible for my high LDL. I've made my cholesterol problem worse from excessive in-take of protein shakes high in saturated fats. Example, the last 2 years I've been drinking two shakes of Muscle Milk a day. That's 60% of what is supposed to be my daily in-take of sat fats. Keep in mind I also eat 3-4 other times per day. Someone like myself with high LDL issues should actually be focused on consuming even less than the average person.

Moreover, if my cholesterol is high then there's a strong chance my DHT is as well since cholesterol is a precursor building block to natural steroids in the body. I'm more than likely naturally predisposed to natural androgenic alopecia so that would mean more DHT in the receptors, which are already bogged down from high cholesterol to begin with.

1) The cholesterol slows down the blood influx.
2) It invades the hair follicle and prevents the sebum
from being properly evacuated.
3) The root gradually loses its vital space and degenerates.

In going back to the thyroid .... what could be the cause? Autoimmune? Judging by some of my symptoms like my troublesome lower ab fat, mood swings, issue with hard nipples, I'm wondering if I am suffering from estrogen dominance.

As for my liver (excess bile) .... not sure yet where it fits into all of this, but again the pathways are important to my hormones. Could also be that high stress triggers my Gilbert's Syndrome.

Round and round we go with this. In the mean time, I've cut out that Muscle Milk out of my diet completely starting today. I am having a comprehensive panel done on Friday so results will be available shortly from those.

MPBfighter

Reaction score
Posted this in thread in the "Tell Your Story" section ..... but gonna put it here too .....

I've been doing a TON of research over the last month into my hair loss problem. It's basically just reminded me that my hormonal system is off regardless and has been for a very long time. I looked over some labs from even further back (2001) and there it was again .... high LDL, T4 at low end of the range, high bilirubin (they didn't run Testosterone because I was only 20-21 at the time). It is my belief that I've been doing things to antagonize this pre-existing condition.

Here are my thoughts at the present moment:

Pre-existing endocrine problem (possibly thryoid) exasperated by years of stress which could be responsible for my high LDL. I've made my cholesterol problem worse from excessive in-take of protein shakes high in saturated fats. Example, the last 2 years I've been drinking two shakes of Muscle Milk a day. That's 60% of what is supposed to be my daily in-take of sat fats. Keep in mind I also eat 3-4 other times per day. Someone like myself with high LDL issues should actually be focused on consuming even less than the average person.

Moreover, if my cholesterol is high then there's a strong chance my DHT is as well since cholesterol is a precursor building block to natural steroids in the body. I'm more than likely naturally predisposed to natural androgenic alopecia so that would mean more DHT in the receptors, which are already bogged down from high cholesterol to begin with.

1) The cholesterol slows down the blood influx.
2) It invades the hair follicle and prevents the sebum
from being properly evacuated.
3) The root gradually loses its vital space and degenerates.

In going back to the thyroid .... what could be the cause? Autoimmune? Judging by some of my symptoms like my troublesome lower ab fat, mood swings, issue with hard nipples, I'm wondering if I am suffering from estrogen dominance.

As for my liver (excess bile) .... not sure yet where it fits into all of this, but again the pathways are important to my hormones. Could also be that high stress triggers my Gilbert's Syndrome.

Round and round we go with this. In the mean time, I've cut out that Muscle Milk out of my diet completely starting today. I am having a comprehensive panel done on Friday so results will be available shortly from those.

any updates?

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Man .....

It's been a while since I've posted, but the shedding is getting really bad in the front. The scalp itching has become ridiculous (in fact my whole freakin' body has been itchy). I'm getting even more depressed about all of this. Bright light and wind has become my mortal enemy.

Receding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Man .....

It's been a while since I've posted, but the shedding is getting really bad in the front. The scalp itching has become ridiculous (in fact my whole freakin' body has been itchy). I'm getting even more depressed about all of this. Bright light and wind has become my mortal enemy.
My whole body has been itchy too. Are you staying indoors a lot? I find my hair and skin look way better in the summer.

I have eczema and when my eczema is bad so is my scalp hair. Baldness is not just dht levels no way!

hairdead

Reaction score
woa, your story sounds exactly like mine. diffuse thinning and more and more body hair.
pilos , a key member of the german forum replied to one of my posts there, that dht+estrogen is the cause of excessiv body hair.

i also have problems with my thyroid ( subclinical hypothyroidism, but just occasionally!?) and my bloodtests show high estrogen!

resu

Reaction score
My hair started thinning in a diffuse pattern too once more body hair grew, to me it's no coincidence, the genes got expressed at the same time.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
woa, your story sounds exactly like mine. diffuse thinning and more and more body hair.
pilos , a key member of the german forum replied to one of my posts there, that dht+estrogen is the cause of excessiv body hair.

i also have problems with my thyroid ( subclinical hypothyroidism, but just occasionally!?) and my bloodtests show high estrogen!

It's like it's not enough that we're losing hair, but we also have to deal with hair in unwanted places to make us even more self-conscious (well at least for me). I'm literally exhausted from all the grooming of it the last 5-6 years, in particular trying to "time" the grooming because I can't shave everything I need to everyday. Having 5 o'clock shadows on areas other than your face is just the worst. I'm so self-conscious about it that I'll make up excuses as to why I can't go out sometimes with friends. It's pathetic and I'm embarrassed to admit it.

Just like Resu said, the thinning and the ramping up of body hair all came about around the same time.

What is this german forum you speak of btw?

hairdead

Reaction score
i forgot to say that i suffer from tiredness and cystic acne on the back of my head & sometimes big cysts on my back too
strange
how is your beard growing? slow?
did u tried dht-blockers?
minoxidil? (could lead to growth of the body hair)

ive tried pretty much everything... finasteride, dht, spironolactone, minoxidil (excessiv use) etc
now im on minoxidil+quercetin in it & capillogain & every 4th day 0,5mg dutasteride.
doesn't help to much..

i'm considering to get arimidex since lately..
i would recommend u get a bloodtest done anyway. i'm interested to know what your levels are

i'm talking bout alopezie.de

and try not to waste to muchthoughts on this, as hard as it is... it just brings u down
get waxing done on your back and focus on your hairlossbattle

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
i forgot to say that i suffer from tiredness and cystic acne on the back of my head & sometimes big cysts on my back too
strange
how is your beard growing? slow?
did u tried dht-blockers?
minoxidil? (could lead to growth of the body hair)

ive tried pretty much everything... finasteride, dht, spironolactone, minoxidil (excessiv use) etc
now im on minoxidil+quercetin in it & capillogain & every 4th day 0,5mg dutasteride.
doesn't help to much..

i'm considering to get arimidex since lately..
i would recommend u get a bloodtest done anyway. i'm interested to know what your levels are

i'm talking bout alopezie.de

and try not to waste to muchthoughts on this, as hard as it is... it just brings u down
get waxing done on your back and focus on your hairlossbattle

I go thru times when I get that acne on the back of my head as well. I notice it happens a lot of the time when I over-indulge on processed carbohydrates. Not sure if there's a connection there. But the back of the head is a painful place to get them. My energy levels suck and have sucked for almost 8-9 years now. I literally have to take inventory each day of it. Everytime I go to the gym (usually at 3-4pm) I can tell I can't get my energy levels out of 2nd gear.

My beard growth isn't instantaneously fast, but it'll start showing again about 10-12 hours after my shave. I'm literally like the only person in the immediate family circle who's got this much facial hair. Not my father, not either of my grandfathers, none of my immediate blood-related uncles, etc. etc.

I've yet to try anything other than some Nioxin shampoo. When I read that minoxidil can spur on more body hair growth it made me very paranoid to even give it a try given how much I already have. I tried waxing once, but it was a horrible experience. The rashes from it and ingrown hairs were awful. I wish I had the money to get everything lasered.

I absolutely must get into a blood lab and get some tests done. I'm convinced the first thing I'm going to see is continued low testosterone and elevated estrogen/dht levels.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ..... long time no update. A few weeks ago I decided enough was enough and have begun taking steps to bettering my hair situation. Being depressed about it and ignoring it, hoping it solves itself obviously wasn't ever going to work. I began reviewing a bunch of information I have collected.

I do know that my general blood circulation has been very poor. It got me thinking back to this one time I tried Niacin. So I went ahead and picked up some SunDown 500mg Niacin Tablets (with the flush). I gotta tell you guys, my hair hasn't had this much life in a very long time. I can't remember having this much volume. Some people get freaked out by the flush from the Niacin, but I kind've like it because I can feel the blood flowing in all the places it normally has a hard time getting to .... like my scalp.

I've been using the following regimen for the past couple weeks:

- Nutri Ox Shampoo
- Apple Cider Vinegar (5mins in hair then rinse)
- Chaz Dean Cucumber Aloe Conditioning Cleanser
- 1,000 to 1,500mg's of Niacin
- 1,000mg Saw Palmetto (Nature's Life)

I should also note the ACV has really helped with my scalp as far as the itching, flaking, and I'm sure what had to have been some fungus problems.

Another important thing going on is my shedding has been reduced considerably. Now I've just got to find a regrowth regimen. In the mean time at least the hair I do have is responding well to the things I've been doing. Seriously guys, check out the Niacin if you get a chance. I was reading a whole bunch of information on it in terms of how it can aid in the defense against DHT. It also helps raise the good cholesterol and lowers the bad, which is important since cholesterol is yet another element trying to strangle our hair follicles to death.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
Update ..... seriously I'm ECSTATIC about the effects Niacin has provided.

Check out the following pics. The first was taken at the end of August. The second is from today.

5.jpg
HairUpdate9-14.jpg

I cannot say enough ..... It has thickened up my existing hair. I also firmly believe the improved circulation is helping the Saw Palmetto get to where it needs to go, along with the blood and oxygen. I've stopped taking 1,000 to 1,500mg's for now. Instead I'm taking 500mg's when I first wake up, along with my protein shake. I chew the tablet too, which it turn gives me the "flush" more swiftly/responsively.

A couple of days ago I also added in some B12 to my regimen as well. Shedding is still very minimal and my hair finally has some life to it again. Been forever since I can say that.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
wow! congratulations!!