diffused hair and hair transplant

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
I had the bad news yesterday from my doctor yesterday when I asked him about the possibility of hair transplant operation to recover my temples.
He examined my head and told me that I have a diffused hair, so it's not possible to hair transplant.

what do you think guys? because I really believe in u more than him (not just him, but any other doctor )

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
You recieved good advise. Most Quacks in this field would go forward at your expense. Be happy! You still have your head and a natural look.

jeffsss

Reaction score
with diffused thinning you stand a chance of killing the hairs that are on your head now....

so say they place a hair in between your diffuse thinning ones..... then the ones around them fall out!!?

sure you have one permament one.. but you also may have just lost a few too!

diffused thinning sucks. i know. trust me, i know...

G

Any patients with a diffused thinning pattern should really try and hang on to their natural hair "for as long as possible" and avoid a hair transplant for as long as possible. Although diffused thinning manifests itself with loss of hair caliper, one's natural hair is still providing some coverage. Still, more ultra-violet light reflects off of our scalps and we notice the thinning more. But at least there is some hair and many diffused thinners do not look bald.

There can be permanent shockloss even in the best of hands. Especially the thinnest, weakest natural hair. Will some of it or hopefully most of it grow back? Probably. But remember, there's no guarantees and no way to predict it. That's the risk.

When the diffused hair gets so thin that it no longer provides decent coverage, approach surgical hair restoration in smaller sessions especially when grafting into any area of weak hair.

BTW, are you on Propecia (finasteride) or any other hairloss meds?

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Why Then do most "doctors" go forward in this situation? Is the patient expected to go to medical school then apprentice in a hair transplant workshop. The tech who butchered me enlightened me during the procedure. Why didn't the doctor prior to it?

G

Most doctors will go forward on a diffused thinning patient because of the money. They can't get the money if the patient does not go ahead with surgery whether it's right or wrong.

But as in your case Ahmedwk, you appear to have met with an ethical surgeon who probably has a good reputation and is giving you good advice even though it may be perceived by you as bad news. Thank goodness you saw that doctor and not one who would have just taken your money.

G

Yes I heard that the best way to go to a hair transplant is when you are completely bald (only hair in back and sides). Otherwise it will be like a fake transplant, and on the long term, when the DHT affected hair continue to fall, you will see big holes over your scalp.

Be carefull with the capitalist hair transplant docs.

G

Patients who do not have a diffusing pattern but rather mostly recede in their hairloss do not usually experience a high level of shockloss. There is some level of diffusion to anyone's hair that suffers from male pattern baldness but the "diffused pattern" of hairloss does not recede as much and there is diffusion throughout the top of the scalp. It's sort of like "see through" hair or a very light covering of very thin hair. And patients with a wide hair-to-scalp color contrast such as very dark hair against a very fair complected scalp can reflect a fair amount of light so that more scalp is noticable. That's why diffused thinners also look alot more thin in the bright light compared to low light or nightime.

I have noticed a fair amount of diffused thinners start on hair transplants when their thin hair is producing little visual coverage but not quite bald yet. They know the diffused hair is going to go at some point in the near future so they start with smaller sessions before all of their natural hair is gone. I have also seen some guys get larger sessions to get as much new growth going as safely possible.

But again the ideal would be to try and hang onto your natural hair as long as possible especially with the help of hairloss meds. hair transplants should be a last resort for most folks.

ahmedwk

Established Member
Reaction score
thank u..

is shockloss a form of loss of hair after hair transplant operation?

and also my diffused hair is not so bad yet. Normally, nobody can tell my hair is diffused unless it's wet. if it is wet then these long bald lines appear on my scalp. so I think I still have some chance in hair transplant. however I will take ur advise and stick to medicines (started Proscar after reading this thread so thank u)

G

You're welcome and glad to hear of your decision to give the meds a chance and not just jump into surgery. :wink:

BTW, shockloss is in fact a form of hairloss which usually is a result of the scalp trauma from the recipient incisions. Generally speaking, the stronger hairs grow back, the weakest do not.

Responsible talented hair transplant surgeons employ the very latest and best methods of creating the recipient sites. They tend to use custom designed blades which indentically match graft diameter to create the lateral slits. This not only helps to minimize the level of scalp trauma but also allows for quicker healing because the slits are less invasive. More grafts can be placed within the recipient area which allows the surgeon to increase levels of density in a single pass. I have definitely seen lower levels of shockloss with these micro lateral slit methods.

ash900

Reaction score
i dont get it

if one is a diffused thinner, why is it not just possible to shave your head into the shape of your future hairloss (horse shoe) and get a full hair transplant done on your entire shaved area?

jeffsss

Reaction score
Re: i dont get it

ash900 said:
if one is a diffused thinner, why is it not just possible to shave your head into the shape of your future hairloss (horse shoe) and get a full hair transplant done on your entire shaved area?

I don't think your hair lenght matters. if you shave your head and then go ahead with the transplant.. "stubble" will fall out. AND your have a nasty visible scar.

what scares me the most about a hair transplant is when you get old "50 +" i've seen many men with really thin sides and back. Your scar WILL be noticiable in almost any lenght.

ash900

Reaction score

hmm... Yeah.
I just hope that by the time we are all in our 50's that there will be a new procedure that could help us out in a situation like that.

I still don't really understand the whole diffuse thinning thing.
I'm not sure if I am a diffuse thinner, but it just seems very sad that if you are then basically your unable to have a hair transplant...

G

Hey, c'mon guys. The Gillenator here will be 51 on the 31st of this month and my hair looks awesome after having three hair transplants, at least that's what everyone tells me. And listen my sides and back donor zones are not thinning out either. And I see lots of guys my age and even older that are multiple hair transplant patients and have the same attributes in results as myself. Listen guys, the best way any of us can get some kind of feel for what our donor zones will look like in our more golden years is look at your own blood family relatives. Did you father and uncles have extremely thin donor zones when they hit 50 or did they possibly just bald on top but had good donor zones. Now don't get me wrong, IF that answer is yes, then stay away from hair transplants altogethor. That's my opinion for whatever it's worth. BTW, I started taking finasteride in the form of cut Proscar in 1996 before Propecia was even developed and approved by the FDA. I never like the effects of minoxidil, the oily scalp effect and my scalp also flaked alot with Rogaine. I have not lost more natural hair which I credit to finasteride.

But my point is that I have been able to maintain my look of a restored scalp for some time now which I have been very happy with. Could that change on me in my sixties? Who knows? I do not plan on discontinuing finasteride unless it quits working or something more effective comes along. I do know if I quit the medicinal regimen, I'll start thinning more in my crown and midscalp. The thought of that freaks me out so I am not going to try and fix something that is not broken, at least not at this time.

Ash900,

None of us would want to see your natural diffused hair get shocked out man and surely you don't either. I know of some guys who have done some smaller levels of FUE in the areas you mentioned. These guys have the family history of hitting Norwood class 5 but not over class 6. So they elected to do sort of what you mentioned. They are getting density up to about 30 grafts per cm2 and then buzz cutting down to a number 2 guide once the growth came in. This concept is referred to as a "shorter is fuller" approach whereas the illusion of cropped hair length can appear to have more density to the naked eye. And obviously that's why alot of guys elect to start buzzing their scalps once male pattern baldness sets in.

HOWEVER, I personally warn every patient who will ask my opinion as an advocate on this point and I'll mention to you what I tell everyone else. IF you have family history of the more advanced classes of male pattern baldness, and you do not want to be skin bald on top but will settle for the buzzed look, plan on wearing that for life. Because obviously anyone in this type of situation will accept those facts and some even favor that look because to them, it's better than being skin bald on top. They recognize and emotionally "accept" the fact beforehand that full restoration will not be possible until HM or cloning, etc becomes viable.

That's why it's "extremely" important for any patient to understand their own potential as well as their own limitations in setting their own goals up front before making any decisions on having surgery. I hope this makes some sense to you my friend.