Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia (DUPA) - Anyone had some succes ?

GoodHair8

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I read a lot of subjects about DUPA lately trying to find a way to stop my hair loss. I'm on finasteride since 14 months (13 months 0,5mg/day and 1 month 1mg/day) and it didn't change anything about my hair loss. (still shedding the same quality/amount of hair as before)

I did some blood test :
1661366691414.png

As I saw in some people with DUPA, I have high prolactin and cortisol. I also have high iron ("fer" in french").
I don't know if it is relevant but my progesteron and my DHEAS are also high.

My plan is to try topical melatonin (Saw someone here/on reddit saying it helped to stop his shedding on the sides) and add dutasteride twice a week and topical RU.

If you have DUPA and had some succes to slow your hair loss, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading :)

EDIT : forgot to say I'm taking vitamin D since 8 months and it's now in the normal range. Didn't change anything to my hair loss unfortunately :(

Last edited:

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same for me i have dupa since 19 y old and fina / minoxidil didnt work since 2 years. I give up.

north_easther

My Regimen
Reaction score
DUPA is a nuisance. Some have tried melatonin in minoxidil, medicinal rosemary and cannabis, for some it has worked. But let your scalp rest for 10 days without washing it, replenish all its oil, and then clean it at variable intervals. Do not clean the hair periodically, do not mess with the skin. If you can find it, use the white milk of the fig, use topical ketoconazole only once a week, or nothing.

GoodHair8

My Regimen
Reaction score
DUPA is a nuisance. Some have tried melatonin in minoxidil, medicinal rosemary and cannabis, for some it has worked. But let your scalp rest for 10 days without washing it, replenish all its oil, and then clean it at variable intervals. Do not clean the hair periodically, do not mess with the skin. If you can find it, use the white milk of the fig, use topical ketoconazole only once a week, or nothing.
Thanks for your advice but why ? I don't think DUPA have something to do with hair wash. What is your theory ?

Elvisandreaa

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I read a lot of subjects about DUPA lately trying to find a way to stop my hair loss. I'm on finasteride since 14 months (13 months 0,5mg/day and 1 month 1mg/day) and it didn't change anything about my hair loss. (still shedding the same quality/amount of hair as before)

I did some blood test :
View attachment 183176

As I saw in some people with DUPA, I have high prolactin and cortisol. I also have high iron ("fer" in french").
I don't know if it is relevant but my progesteron and my DHEAS are also high.

My plan is to try topical melatonin (Saw someone here/on reddit saying it helped to stop his shedding on the sides) and add dutasteride twice a week and topical RU.

If you have DUPA and had some succes to slow your hair loss, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading :)
Your vitamin D3 levels are low, you may want to fix that part first

north_easther

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice but why ? I don't think DUPA have something to do with hair wash. What is your theory ?
when the scalp is touched, it starts to increase in oil, thinking it is a foreign attack, and the dirty skin triggers everything.

creatinemonster

Reaction score
According to William Wrassman, the Dermatologist who discovered Dupa and created the term for it, dht blockers work in 50% of dupa cases.

I've personally been on it for 8 years now and I don't regret it at all. I have dupa too.

finasteride doesn't stop hair fall, but it slows it down significantly for me, which makes it worth it for now.

I found inosine pranobex very helpful for dupa hairloss and I recommend that you try it at 3g/day if possible. Lots of studies confirmed this as well.

GoodHair8

My Regimen
Reaction score
According to William Wrassman, the Dermatologist who discovered Dupa and created the term for it, dht blockers work in 50% of dupa cases.

I've personally been on it for 8 years now and I don't regret it at all. I have dupa too.

finasteride doesn't stop hair fall, but it slows it down significantly for me, which makes it worth it for now.

I found inosine pranobex very helpful for dupa hairloss and I recommend that you try it at 3g/day if possible. Lots of studies confirmed this as well.
Hello, thanks for answering!

Yes, I know about what Dr Rassman says, but finasteride didn't do anything for me unfortunately.
What is Inosine Pranobex ? I'm willing to try anything at this point!

I just looked it up, and it seems like it's a drug that can work for alopecia areata. Are you sure you have DUPA ?
Maybe DUPA has some similarities with alopecia areata ?

creatinemonster

Reaction score

Yes, I know about what Dr Rassman says, but finasteride didn't do anything for me unfortunately.

I just looked it up, and it seems like it's a drug that can work for alopecia areata. Are you sure you have DUPA ?
Yeah the studies were for areata, but my understanding is dupa has immune system mechanisms behind it as well, as donor areas are attacked too.

My barber and myself noticed my hair became thicker on it.

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

How i can find inosin pranobex ? im from France