diffuse thinning vs. non-diffuse thinning

dw99

Reaction score
has anyone done any research on what the difference is here? i mean, it seems to me like there could very well be completely different mechanisms that cause each of these types of balding. i personally think that the two should be official sub-categories of male pattern baldness and that there should be in depth studies (scalp condition, hormone levels, etc.) done on diffuse vs. non-diffuse thinners.

for instance, it seems to me like only (or mostly) us diffuse thinners get the annoying scalp pain (or trichodynia) or severe itching/discomfort.

also, it seems like a vast majority of the diffuse thinners have no strong family history of male pattern baldness.

these are just my observations... any thoughts?

lordhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never fully understood the dynamics of non-diffuse male pattern baldness. Why does it follow a particular pattern? Why does the hairline recede?

sam-

Established Member
Reaction score
dw99 said:
where on that site does it discuss non-diffuse vs. diffuse thinning?

I remember I’ve read something about that there…… :pensativo:, However if you didn’t find it , that site sill give excellent info.

itchy080

Established Member
Reaction score
do u have a direct link to the article? i onlt found one on Telogen Effluvium and i dont believe i have tht, i just think my version of male pattern baldness is diffuse thinning, ive been on propecia for about 9-10 months with some shedding but no postive results, does it would on diffuse thinning?

WithTheLidOff

Established Member
Reaction score
for what its worth....i am a diffuse thinner. No bald spots, but lots of thinning. I have extensive baldness history in my family. And i have never had any scalp itch problems.

doubleplay

Established Member
Reaction score
WithTheLidOff said:
for what its worth....i am a diffuse thinner. No bald spots, but lots of thinning. I have extensive baldness history in my family. And i have never had any scalp itch problems.

i concur

dw99

Reaction score
thanks for the responses guys... i myself and diffusely thinning in the front right and have scalp burning only in that area. i find that my scalp burning/inflammation is worst when i am thinking/stressing about my hair. when i'm not thinking about it, it's non-existent, but i'm OCD, which causes me to not be able to stop thinking about it. anyone know of any good OCD medications?

i also have virtually zero history of male pattern baldness in my family (closest link is with second cousins).

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
21, diffuse thinning all over the top with hairline going back as well, scalp shows through unless I can get hair just right, been on propecia for 7 full months, starting month 8 now.

I was wondering how many of you diffuse guys use minoxidil and what your results have been like? Do you do the part-the-hair thing when you apply? Would one application a day be beneficial at all?

I haven't really had any results on propecia yet so I am looking at adding minoxidil to the regimen after one year. I just don't like the inconvience of it.

mooman80

Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner, top sides, the whole works. 5 years of propecia has helped me mostly maintain, but ever so slowly diffuse - i've got aggressive male pattern baldness. I recently started minoxidil around three months ago, and have been having some really good results. nasty shed at first, but noticeable thickening and lots of visibile hairs growing. the only problem is my eyebrows seem to be trying to merge with my hairline :freaked2:

my hair is bout 2 inches long and spiky, so i just take use the minoxidil dropper and basically just keep tapping it all over my head. then i kind of use my fingers to do a little scalp massage to spread it around a bit. the whole procedure takes less than a minute, and doesn't get in my hair at all

minoxidil will mess your scalp up for the first month or so with nasty flaking. i found jojoba oil helps. i also use a comb once a week to *lightly* remove any minoxidil residue from the scalp. i found a soak in apple cider vinegar loosens up the gunk pretty good beforehand.

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
moonman80,

thanks for the reply! I have pretty aggressive male pattern baldness as well so it is good to hear that this kind of thing has worked for someone else. Best of luck in your treatments.