Diffuse thinning VS male pattern baldness

cmudave

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between diffuse thinning and male pattern baldness? Is one more difficult to treat than the other? What are the best methods to regrow and maintain hair, big 3 for both? I did a little research but wasnt able to find what I wanted...so I decided to come and ask the pro's

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It appears diffuse thinning is just another distinct form of male pattern baldness, like crown thinning or frontal recession. Those who have it say it's uglier and more difficult to treat, but all hair loss is a b**ch. The only advantage diffuse thinning offers is that it's easier to use concealers without large slick bald spots.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
you can also buzz it and it will still look decend in the earlier stages

Sean68

Reaction score
i think most people with male pattern baldness are diffusing to an extent. my only noticeable
loss is at my hairline but ive still lost a bit of density all over you
just cant tell.yet.

newton

Reaction score
The overall thinning sneaks up on you though, that's what happened with me, hair falling out everytime I showered etc but didn't get a bald spot so didn't realise...

..... then noticed it had thinned all over the top, so cutting it shorter and having it in a kind of messy spikey style looked good for a bit longer before I gave up and buzzed it off.

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
newton said:
The overall thinning sneaks up on you though, that's what happened with me, hair falling out everytime I showered etc but didn't get a bald spot so didn't realise...

..... then noticed it had thinned all over the top, so cutting it shorter and having it in a kind of messy spikey style looked good for a bit longer before I gave up and buzzed it off.

what would be your advice for spotting diffuse thinning early then?

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
diffuse thinning is difficult to spot early. It's easist to notice when you get out of the shower... you'll be able to see your scalp through your hair. Also, you'll notice that the hair on the side of your head seems to be growing thicker than on top of your head. Just check out your dads pattern and ask him at what age.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
which treatment works best for diffuse thinning? I thought I was thinning only on top but it seems its all over the head - sides and back are thinning too.

newton

Reaction score
DammitLetMeIn said:
what would be your advice for spotting diffuse thinning early then?

I'm the wrong person to give that advice because I didn't spot mine for ages. Captain Obvious's advice is quite right I'd think.

One thing though, my dad still has the thickest hair in the world! So you can't always get an early warning sign there.