Diffuse Thinning Or Other Issue? Pics.

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea wtf is going on with my hair. When I shampoo I have a lot of hair from all over my head come out, I went to the dermatologist who said I have seborrheic dermatitis that mine is hard to treat, I recently moved and left my friend(s) in September, I got all four wisdom teeth taken out in October (which I was so anxious over I asked multiple times for valium or something to help me) and wanted to die rather than get the surgery done, my social anxiety has gotten worse, and so has my depression. I’m also vegan but trying to get enough protein and am taking an iron supplement every other day. Is any of this causing my hair loss, or is it diffuse thinning? Would the sideburn/entire side of head actually thin with diffuse thinning? This is what it looks like with the flash on, and I apologize for the gross tiny hairs all over my forehead and above my eyebrows. Some of those are from the minoxidil which I re-started two weeks ago since I stopped over the summer. The dermatologist said she’d prescribe finasteride in 2-3 months when I have a “check-up” appointment for the dermatitis, but I’m afraid that I’ll lose a lot more hair if I wait that long. What do you think?

(This is gross and slightly embarrassing, but I should mention that I also have some shedding of my leg hair although it still looks thick, and for a while I’ve had a lot of pubic hair shedding... probably for a year or maybe even more. It has definitely increased in the past few months though).

TLDR; stress, oral surgery, depression, anxiety, not sure why I have thin hair and hair shedding on head, pubic area, underarms, and a little bit on legs.

Yq92JUI.jpg

Last edited:

josephsan01

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
go to an actual doctor maybe you have some crazy deficiency. I see nothing wrong with that part of your hair being kinda thin. idk if being vegan could cause this but how long have you been vegan and how long have these problems been going on.

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
go to an actual doctor maybe you have some crazy deficiency. I see nothing wrong with that part of your hair being kinda thin. idk if being vegan could cause this but how long have you been vegan and how long have these problems been going on.
I’ve gotten a lot of blood tests, but those were a little over a year ago at this point. I’ve been vegan for about a year, but the thinning started concerning me almost two years ago. It doesn’t look like it’s thinning? I’m mainly concerned because of how it looks like it has gone back a little bit, and because just from shampooing and showering, a LOT of hair comes out, many of them being thin.

Emrys

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairline/density looks pretty normal. You sure your hairline just isn't maturing? How did the wisdom tooth surgery go btw? Gotta get mine done soon but I'm just as nervous now as I'm sure you were then. Lol

josephsan01

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve gotten a lot of blood tests, but those were a little over a year ago at this point. I’ve been vegan for about a year, but the thinning started concerning me almost two years ago. It doesn’t look like it’s thinning? I’m mainly concerned because of how it looks like it has gone back a little bit, and because just from shampooing and showering, a LOT of hair comes out, many of them being thin.
I don't know what your hair looked like a year so idk if it seems a lot thinner since then. but from what I see it looks completely normal density.

Hairlineforever

My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea wtf is going on with my hair. When I shampoo I have a lot of hair from all over my head come out, I went to the dermatologist who said I have seborrheic dermatitis that mine is hard to treat, I recently moved and left my friend(s) in September, I got all four wisdom teeth taken out in October (which I was so anxious over I asked multiple times for valium or something to help me) and wanted to die rather than get the surgery done, my social anxiety has gotten worse, and so has my depression. I’m also vegan but trying to get enough protein and am taking an iron supplement every other day. Is any of this causing my hair loss, or is it diffuse thinning? Would the sideburn/entire side of head actually thin with diffuse thinning? This is what it looks like with the flash on, and I apologize for the gross tiny hairs all over my forehead and above my eyebrows. Some of those are from the minoxidil which I re-started two weeks ago since I stopped over the summer. The dermatologist said she’d prescribe finasteride in 2-3 months when I have a “check-up” appointment for the dermatitis, but I’m afraid that I’ll lose a lot more hair if I wait that long. What do you think?

(This is gross and slightly embarrassing, but I should mention that I also have some shedding of my leg hair although it still looks thick, and for a while I’ve had a lot of pubic hair shedding... probably for a year or maybe even more. It has definitely increased in the past few months though).

TLDR; stress, oral surgery, depression, anxiety, not sure why I have thin hair and hair shedding on head, pubic area, underarms, and a little bit on legs.

View attachment 72427
are you f*****g kidding us there absolutely 0 problem with your side hair at all dont be such complexed about it its 100%perfect

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
are you f*****g kidding us there absolutely 0 problem with your side hair at all dont be such complexed about it its 100%perfect
thank you for the response, I was just concerned because I’m losing 50+ hairs in the shower and it’s scaring me.

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairline/density looks pretty normal. You sure your hairline just isn't maturing? How did the wisdom tooth surgery go btw? Gotta get mine done soon but I'm just as nervous now as I'm sure you were then. Lol
I’m not sure, the dermatologist intern asked if my temples have always been like that and said they may be in the early stages of thinning. I was honestly ready to jump out my third floor window when I had to get the surgery done. I shat myself over it for a good month. It was scheduled for two weeks after I went to see the orthodontist (because I had an infection in one), the anxiety over it made me unable to think about anything else, then after a few days of this my dad scheduled it for the next day so I could get it out of the way. The waiting was the worst because you just ruminate and I was actually shaking out of nervousness. I went in, sat in the chair, the nitrous oxide started, I didn’t feel anything, they turned it up, I still felt normal until maybe a minute after that. Then I felt slightly dizzy, still fairly normal. Then the IV was put in, I closed my eyes (because I thought keeping my eyes open while I go unconscious would be scary), and that was it. I don’t remember anything until I walked in the door at home, and although I have a bad gag reflex, I didn’t gag on the gauze. You only need it for a few hours after surgery anyways. I was feeling amazing after that since I finally got it done and it was over and went well. It really didn’t hurt that bad at all, and I got all four taken out, one at a weird angle, and one being infected. It was fine after that. I also didn’t get stitches since the only ones they had were the dissolvable stitches made from cow intestines and I just didn’t want that in my mouth. They fall out in a few days anyways, so it’s not a big deal. Overall, it was great after it was over, not that much pain, and the relief of it being done.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope it helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, I’ll be glad to answer them.

hollow11

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m not sure, the dermatologist intern asked if my temples have always been like that and said they may be in the early stages of thinning. I was honestly ready to jump out my third floor window when I had to get the surgery done. I shat myself over it for a good month. It was scheduled for two weeks after I went to see the orthodontist (because I had an infection in one), the anxiety over it made me unable to think about anything else, then after a few days of this my dad scheduled it for the next day so I could get it out of the way. The waiting was the worst because you just ruminate and I was actually shaking out of nervousness. I went in, sat in the chair, the nitrous oxide started, I didn’t feel anything, they turned it up, I still felt normal until maybe a minute after that. Then I felt slightly dizzy, still fairly normal. Then the IV was put in, I closed my eyes (because I thought keeping my eyes open while I go unconscious would be scary), and that was it. I don’t remember anything until I walked in the door at home, and although I have a bad gag reflex, I didn’t gag on the gauze. You only need it for a few hours after surgery anyways. I was feeling amazing after that since I finally got it done and it was over and went well. It really didn’t hurt that bad at all, and I got all four taken out, one at a weird angle, and one being infected. It was fine after that. I also didn’t get stitches since the only ones they had were the dissolvable stitches made from cow intestines and I just didn’t want that in my mouth. They fall out in a few days anyways, so it’s not a big deal. Overall, it was great after it was over, not that much pain, and the relief of it being done.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope it helps! Let me know if you have any other questions, I’ll be glad to answer them.
Wisdom teeth are no biggie, unless in my case where one of them was literally sitting horizontally so they needed a special 3 hour long surgery, while i was conscious, so I can telI them if I feel any pain through the anesthesia, because otherwise they could actually break my jaw ..lol
It cost me like 400 bucks more than the usual surgery as well

Emrys

My Regimen
Reaction score

Essay was great and well detailed. I need to bite the bullet on this. I appreciate you taking the time to answer that. Your hair looks fine though.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/am-i-balding-mature-hairline-opinions.109846/page-2

There's my temple recession, haha. It's stressful, I know.

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wisdom teeth are no biggie, unless in my case where one of them was literally sitting horizontally so they needed a special 3 hour long surgery, while i was conscious, so I can telI them if I feel any pain through the anesthesia, because otherwise they could actually break my jaw ..lol
It cost me like 400 bucks more than the usual surgery as well

That’s f*****g awful... I’m sorry you had to go through that.

Essay was great and well detailed. I need to bite the bullet on this. I appreciate you taking the time to answer that. Your hair looks fine though.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/am-i-balding-mature-hairline-opinions.109846/page-2

There's my temple recession, haha. It's stressful, I know.

No problem, once you get in the chair it’s easy and stress-free besides some dull pain. It looks like your hair is more (condensed?) than mine, as in better density even though your temples go back a bit. For you being 30, I think it looks fine. I’m just really hoping that finasteride helps me keep my hair. Anyways, I hope everything goes well, because you’ll look back on it and realize it was nothing worth being that anxious over (even though it’s hard to control the anxiety over it).

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did she say why?

Because I’ve been to two other dermatologists before trying to get it treated, but nothing helped. It usually subsides a little bit and then has a flare up, whether it’s caused by stress, diet, both, I don’t know what. I’m using a topical steroid and nizoral now, so I’m hoping it helps to get rid of the itching/oiliness/flaking/buildup. She was nice and explained everything well, and said since I’m only 18 I may “grow out of it”, but you can only really control the condition, not get rid of it/cure it, unfortunately.