diffuse thinning: a non-dht related question

returnoftheshedi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have seen discussions relating diffuse thinning to non-male pattern baldness related causes. One re-occurring theory is that there is some relation between thyroid condition and diffuse thinning. This is interesting, but I took a look at the symptoms for thyroid problems and I do not fit in that class.

One health problem (which I haven't treated) that I do have is a very poor GI system. I am one of those people who has to move my bowels immediately after every meal. Anyway, i mention this, not to gross you out, but because I also saw someone mention that there might be a link between GI problems and hairloss. Anyone see how this problem might cause hairloss? One theory would be that I am not retaining enough nutrients which might promote hair growth.

Real quick, my hair situation is as follows: 27 years old. Been losing hair steadily for about 5 years. Hairline is perfect, just an overall loss of density which isn't noticeable, but mainly because of my hairstyle (buzz cut), it would look thinner if i grew it out. Have been on propecia/proscar for over 4 years and minoxidil off and on, but on for the past 7 months. I also have been taking dutasteride (along with the proscar) for the past 2 months. Still shed like a dog.

SE-freak

Reaction score
Regarding your GI problems:

Anything that increases intestinal mobility interferes with iron absorption.
I seem to find a link here. Check your iron levels.(yes, low serrum ferritin levels are connected to hairloss).

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
I doubt that lack of nutrients is causing your hairloss, but like SE-freak said, you can have yourself tested for vitamin/mineral deficiencies and this would tell you whether or not there is a relation.

returnoftheshedi

Established Member
Reaction score
yea, maybe not...but i wouldn't be surprised to find that diffuse thinners (including women) suffer from hairloss as a result of something that is entirely unrelated to DHT and completely corollary to other health problems.

i have popped thousands of finasteride pills (and now dozens of dutasteride) without any signs that my shedding is slowing down. when this buzz cut stops doing the trick i will likely start a website- diffusersaredestinedtolose.com

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I've got the SAME thing. Diffuse thinning, no pattern whatsoever. I also have to use the bathroom immediatly after eating and I rarely notice the effects of stimulants (i.e. coffee) or vitamins. I think it may have something to do with absorption as I've had my thyroid checked as being normal.
The thing that baffles me is that my skin looks and feels great. I rarely ever have a problem with dryness.

kevin5er

Reaction score
i'm a diffuse thinner as well. my hairline is pretty decent but the whole crown just keeps getting worse. anyway, it does seems like diffuse thinning in men is similar to that of women. i know there were studies done with female pattern baldness and topical melatonin which showed promising results. have any guys tried to see if this works?

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
My hair loss exhibits the same characteristics of female hair loss.
I'd like some more studies here.

returnoftheshedi

Established Member
Reaction score
I started taking this pill for my GI problems, its called "Primal Defense" and it is made by Garden of Life. I know this sounds like a bullsh*t product, but although it is sort of an herbal remedy, it comes highly recommended to me from several people who suffer from IBS and Crohn's disease. We will see if it has any effect on my poor GI system... and my hair. :)

I really wish more people with diffuse thinning would come forward and discuss what has worked for them. It is disconcerning that we do not have a better idea of what products (if any) are helpful to us. Does the big 3 even have any effect on diffusers???

I was shedding (like I am now) for YEARS before I noticed any change in density of my hair. The whole time I thought that finasteride was working and the shedding was inconsequential. Of course I was wrong, but a better question would be, did the finasteride even have an effect on my rate of loss (or any diffuse thinner).

Thoughts?

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm a diffuse thinner (top of head).

3 months ago if I ran my hands through my head for 30 seconds over a sink, I would see 20-30 hair come out. Now I see 2-3. I'm waiting to see if this translates to thicker hair.

What's changed in my life? For 2 months now:

- I've quit my job (no stress).
- I've been working out and/or been swimming 2 hours a day.
- I've been getting a lot more sun (3-4 hours a day).
- I've been eating much healthier food.

I also quit finasteride 2 weeks ago. Yep, impossible for me to say what did it, or whether it will start up again some time soon. Thought I would share anyway.

returnoftheshedi

Established Member
Reaction score
that is great hairshmair, but i highly doubt that eliminating finasteride (or dutasteride) will result in less shedding, considering that the sole reason i started taking these drugs was because of shedding.

as far as living a healthy lifestyle goes...not to sound too conceited (or gay) but i eat extremely well, take care of my body and drink only on rare occasions, i also lift weights and play sports between 4 and 5 times a week.

not to sound pessimistic, but i doubt that your new lifestyle is going to reverse the balding process...although, wouldn't it be great if it did.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
Not saying it will. I'm just sharing what I'm seeing!

They say male pattern baldness slows down and speeds up at times. This could just be a slow-down period. Generally I'm thinking about it less though. I have more hair than a lot of people my age, and I'm happy for that.

arcillis

Reaction score
hey guyz, i just posted some pics on another thread. Anyways, the last six month i have been noticing the hair loss on only my crown and frontal area, but recently (1 month or so) i have notice that my hair fall out from the back and side too when i am taking a shower. I have notice that the overall thickness of my hair is gone in the back as well. This is a link to my pics thread. http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=20772

Could that be a sign of Telogen Effluvium. Also, it is true that i have been stressing alot since last year. Well, i am taking Centrum vitamin supplements and Zinc supplements as well, since last month or so. I havent notice any difference though.

returnoftheshedi

Established Member
Reaction score
have you seen a doctor? if so, what did he/she say is the cause of your loss?

i also lose hair from the sides and back when I shower, however, i have always thought this was a side effect of finasteride. are you sure that those areas have actually lost density though?

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Arcillis, your hairloss is exactly the same as mine.

Mine got more advanced, but now is doing well on drugs, so I´m more or less like you by now.

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Are any of you diffuser thinners also experiencing graying? I'm 23 and noticed my first few gray hairs last year - just about the same time my thinning became really bad.
Anyone else?

20sometingtoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I found this list of Thyroidism symptons (both hypo and hyper).

http://pages.zdnet.com/nana2003/id99.html

Interestingly enough, I have the following symptoms:
Intollerance to cold
Premature graying
Diffuse hairloss
Muscle aches
Mental "fog"

I'm going to go back to the Doctor and demand a more comprehensive blood test for my thyroid functions.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
20sometingtoo said:
Are any of you diffuser thinners also experiencing graying? I'm 23 and noticed my first few gray hairs last year - just about the same time my thinning became really bad.
Anyone else?

Right on the mark for me. Noticed a couple of completely gray hairs and then just generally weaker hair color all around, around the same time my thinning started.

Could be a coincidence though. Maybe we should try MSM.

slackdar

Reaction score
Once again, I'm in the same boat. I have all those same symptoms of hypothyroidism, which my mother has.

I've been a diffuse thinner for about 6 years, and I've been on Propecia for over 5. I've had my thyroid checked last year & this year - normal both times. Got checked for anemia recently, but that seemed fine. I've been getting more and more gray hairs, but none of multivitamins, B's, Kelp, or whatever else seems to stop the graying or shedding.

I buzzed my hair for about 5 years, but I always hated the way it looked. I started growing my hair in July & started Rogaine again. I still knew my hair was thin, but it looked alright grown out. 4 & 1/2 months later, and I'm shedding like MAD now. I've always suspected that Rogaine actually made my hair WORSE.

Do any diffuse thinners at all have success with Rogaine?

Billmartini

Reaction score
I have (or had) alot of those symptoms, especially Hypo. Can anyone tell me what hypo and hyper mean?

Also, about the Dry Mouth. when I was younger, especially in late highschool and early college, I had majore problems with dry mouth. I could never figure it out, complained about it to m y mom, but was told not to worry about it. It gave me terrible breath too. has anyone else had this? How does that happen? Iam about a year out of college now, and haven't had problems with dry mouth in some years, but have always wondered what the hell was going on!!

So yeah, someone please explain hyper and hypo to me, and maybe elaborate on experiences of dry mouth.

Idaho X

Reaction score
I'm a diffuse thinner as well. I've lost hair all over my head, but the hairloss is most noticable in the horseshoe region. After 12 months on proscar my hair is finally starting to fill in and thicken. When it is dry, a person would be hard pressed to tell that I'm balding. When it is wet, my hair looks very thin (I avoid swimming). Anyway, the moral is: for me finasteride seems to work to an extent, but I don't think I'll ever have a full head of hair.