Diffuse thinners out there

Sony

Reaction score
Hello.

I've been shedding short hairs non-stop for over a year now, like eyebrow hairs...it's just got to the stage where I try to avoid looking at my pillow, in the sink, in the shower...or just ruins my day

I have diffuse thinning on the top of my head, with an obvious balding vertex, but no frontal recession and little temple recession.

I've dabbled with Propecia before but would like to stick with it this time. However I'm just not sure it's for people with my type of baldness, so I'm looking for some reassurance & information:

If Propecia works for me will it stop this shedding?

Does this form of baldness normally result in a norwood 6/7?

Do many people on this site have constant diffuse hair shedding? In most of the stories I've read, the hair shedding was a result of treatments

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fellow diffuser checkin in, blad

propecia works very well for diffuse thinners, so i've read. makes sense to me, if you think about the process.

also, diffuse aside, propecia works the best on the vertex so you're quids-in mate :D

if you get on it, it's supposed to stop your shedding. but it may take a few months to work.

also, some people shed more than others, even people that don't have hairloss. The important thing is what grows back after the shed!

Me, for example, I *never* shed. Even before starting treatments, i never saw hair in the shower, pillow etc. My housemate, has no hairloss but he leaves tons of it in the shower heh.

good luck with whatever you decide, do plenty of research and make up your own mind.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
antonio666 said:
yes diffuse balding always(most of the time )results in advanced balding

nah, I've got the exact same hairloss as my father. He stopped losing at around age 45. Now it looks like he's obviously lost hair, but still looks "acceptable" for a 57yr old.

it varies so much, you can't give a definite answer to this question. Genetics play a part obvz, and are a rough guide, but it seems like pot (bad) luck a lot of the time.

Personally, I blame the government.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
diffuse thinning is sometimes caused by horome imbalance. Check your T level as well as DHT. If both are significantly above the normal range, then consult with your physician for finasteride.

I agree with flimflam, finasteride tends to work better on diffuse thinners than receeders.

seth9027

Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner as well. I am 20 and have been thinning since probably 16 or 17, but it's been extremely gradual, at first I didn't notice the hair loss but more of a change in the quality and texture of my hair.

I think Propecia is supposed to work really well for us diffuse thinners. I just got on it about 3 months ago, and I experienced a period of slightly increased shedding, but nothing that made me want to quit. It seems to me in the past week or two that my shedding has decreased and I now see only a few hairs when I shower. My advice to you would be to give it a try, don't pay too much attention to the shedding at first, and ride it out for a year to see the results.

Also, I dont think diffuse thinning necessarily results in a norwood 6/7. Several of my relatives, including my maternal grandfather(in his 80s), my uncle(in his 50s), and one of my cousins(30) have hair loss, but it has not progressed nearly that far in any of them. They all have slightly receded temples with a small bald spot in the back. That gives me hope that even if the Propecia doesn't work or only works temporarily that I might still not go completely bald.

Anyway, good luck to you in your treatments.

Sony

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the comments...

I've been on Propecia for a few weeks, and no change so far...Although, I wouldn't reallly notice any increases in shedding, as I just shed so much hair already...Just have to wait and see I guess.

Unfortunately I think I am heading for a Norwood 6/7 as I can see where I have larger gaps between hair with more visible scalp, and it's all over the top of my head.

Hopefully some of you have better luck/genes!

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
diffuse thinning is sometimes caused by horome imbalance. Check your T level as well as DHT. If both are significantly above the normal range, then consult with your physician for finasteride.

I agree with flimflam, finasteride tends to work better on diffuse thinners than receeders.

I have diffuse thinning all over the head, on top the most. I would suggest to anyone to do several test if you do not have any infection or any other problem. I had some stomach problems, after it got better my hormone balance changed and my hair density was in few weeks almost original. Then some big shed and it came back. So I got tested and stomach problems are bad again and hormones messed again, too.

Helicobacter pylori is very typical and very extended over the world. It can do nothing to most but something to few people. It can not allow you to absorb some vitamins and minerals properly and also mess with your hormones, which can result in diffuse thinning and even fast receeding if it kicks your Testosterone up.

G

Another diffuse thinner checking in. For me finasteride has helped to maintain the crown (I think), but hasn't helped the top at all.