Diffuse Hair Loss Or Male Pattern Baldness ?

Jhon216

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi !
So in the last year I've notticed a diffuse type of hair loss. I am 19 years old and about 2 years ago I had thick hair and no problems. I started to notice the loss about 3-4 months ago and I started a 3 month treatment with ducray neoptide ( very poor results ). Can someone please tell me what should I do ? Is this type of hair loss permanent ? I am not balding from the back ( I just have a cowlick ) and I also have a little bit of receiding hairline but from what I've understood, that is kinda natural. My dad has a receiding hairline but his hair from the top scalp section is still there and thicker than mine. My mom also have very thick hair and her father too. Or is it male pattern baldness ?

Attachments

• 20170607_205602.jpg
    20170607_205602.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 5,058
  • 20170607_204933.jpg
    20170607_204933.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 6,691
  • 20170607_204912.jpg
    20170607_204912.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 5,992
  • 20170530_212128.jpg
    20170530_212128.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 19,109

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like Diffuse Patterned Alopecia to me. Sometimes instead of receding, male pattern baldness can occur in the typical horseshoe pattern just by thinning out. It looks pretty aggressive for 19 as well. I feel your pain though, I am 21 and my hair is almost as thin. I would go on finasteride and minoxidil asap if I were you.

Jhon216

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like Diffuse Patterned Alopecia to me. Sometimes instead of receding, male pattern baldness can occur in the typical horseshoe pattern just by thinning out. It looks pretty aggressive for 19 as well. I feel your pain though, I am 21 and my hair is almost as thin. I would go on finasteride and minoxidil asap if I were you.
I went to a dermatolgist and he said that it's diffuse alopecia too but I wanted to ask a second oppinion here. Do you know what is the cause of this diffuse hair loss ? Could it be a poor diet + constant stress and depressiom for about an year ?

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
You can always try propecia and if you get sides you can quit. The odds of getting sides are like 1% and the odds of sides continuing after you quit are like .000000000000000001%.

I worry that your loss is aggressive and finasteride might not help. Have you ever shaved your head? Or buzzed down to a 1? Maybe you'll like the look. But I would try the propecia.

Jhon216

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can always try propecia and if you get sides you can quit. The odds of getting sides are like 1% and the odds of sides continuing after you quit are like .000000000000000001%.

I worry that your loss is aggressive and finasteride might not help. Have you ever shaved your head? Or buzzed down to a 1? Maybe you'll like the look. But I would try the propecia.
Is it really that bad ? I mean I've seen people with even worst cases of this kind of hair loss and they managed to get most of it back. It's weird for me because even last summer my hair was fine and I couldn't see any bald spots.

bien_jezreel

Reaction score
Hi !
So in the last year I've notticed a diffuse type of hair loss. I am 19 years old and about 2 years ago I had thick hair and no problems. I started to notice the loss about 3-4 months ago and I started a 3 month treatment with ducray neoptide ( very poor results ). Can someone please tell me what should I do ? Is this type of hair loss permanent ? I am not balding from the back ( I just have a cowlick ) and I also have a little bit of receiding hairline but from what I've understood, that is kinda natural. My dad has a receiding hairline but his hair from the top scalp section is still there and thicker than mine. My mom also have very thick hair and her father too. Or is it male pattern baldness ?
It does appear to be diffuse hair thinning. Have you tried Finasteride already? It is unfortunate that there are all these reports about irreversible side effects. Right now I am not doing anything to my hair loss, but I am looking for other potential solution before I head on to hair transplant. This doesn't look like pattern baldness, which I have.
It can be described as shedding in a certain pattern, either starting from the front hairline or from the crown.

Jhon216

My Regimen
Reaction score
It does appear to be diffuse hair thinning. Have you tried Finasteride already? It is unfortunate that there are all these reports about irreversible side effects. Right now I am not doing anything to my hair loss, but I am looking for other potential solution before I head on to hair transplant. This doesn't look like pattern baldness, which I have.
It can be described as shedding in a certain pattern, either starting from the front hairline or from the crown.
That's exactly the weird thing for me, that it doesn't look like male pattern baldness. I barely have a receiding hairline ( almost unseeable ) and I'm not balding from the back of my head. I haven't tried Propecia yet because those side effects are a big concer for me. It's even more weird because my dad is not bald too..

hanginginthewire

Reaction score
Is it really that bad ? I mean I've seen people with even worst cases of this kind of hair loss and they managed to get most of it back. It's weird for me because even last summer my hair was fine and I couldn't see any bald spots.

It's not so bad now, no. But you are really young so it could worsen over time. I'm not a doctor but I would HIGHLY suggest giving propecia a try. You are young and I presume haven't taken meds before. Side effects are a potential for everything, including asprin. If balding or hair loss bothers you, you are REALLY doing yourself a disservice by not trying the best weapon that we have thus far against it. And in this instance the likelihood of incurring side effects are really small. Listen to your elder balding brothers and at least try it.

bien_jezreel

Reaction score
That's exactly the weird thing for me, that it doesn't look like male pattern baldness. I barely have a receiding hairline ( almost unseeable ) and I'm not balding from the back of my head. I haven't tried Propecia yet because those side effects are a big concer for me. It's even more weird because my dad is not bald too..
From what I read, I learned that hair loss usually starts at the frontal hairline and it starts to regress over time. I found some good insights here, http://www.aihr.com.au/hair-loss. Maybe the affected gene comes from your mother's side. I have cousins who are brothers and they lost all their hair while their dad remains to have a full head of hair even in old age. I guess it doesn't necessarily come from your dad's side.

doyle11

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to a dermatolgist and he said that it's diffuse alopecia too but I wanted to ask a second oppinion here. Do you know what is the cause of this diffuse hair loss ? Could it be a poor diet + constant stress and depressiom for about an year ?

Diet and stress rarely have a significant effect on hair. You can probably notice that from all the homeless people you see living on a diet of crack and special brew with dense NW1 hairlines and dreadlocks

I think at some point we have all attributed it to telogen effluvium or any other cause than male pattern baldness in denial. Don't make the same mistakes and jump on alternative remedie, keto diets and other stupid memes.

Big 3 is tried and tested, hop on... if you notice no improvements get a second opinion from a derm.

Good luck

Jhon216

My Regimen
Reaction score
Little update on my hair situation. After 2 months from my original post, I have noticed some major improvement by using just special shampoos like revalid. So, I still think that the thinning was caused by agressive stress that I've been through for several months. I will start taking 1mg propecia just to be sure that my hair will not fall for a good period of time. Overall, I'm finally happy with my hair condition wich is this :

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-09-15-47-06.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-09-15-47-06.png
    475.3 KB · Views: 3,873

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair looks great but yeah, its very unlikely you don't have male pattern baldness given the pattern of thinning you showed in the original post. Stress will cause hair to fall out all over ur head evenly, it isn't relegated to the typical areas of male pattern baldness loss.

Jhon216

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I've reached the point where I got all of my hair back without minoxidil or propecia. Maybe it will thinn back in the future but I am more than happy right now. The only product I have used was a hair loss shampoo bought from a local pharmacy. I think stopping the use of gel and hair fixer did the job for me.

Attachments

• Snapchat-2010408270.jpg
    Snapchat-2010408270.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 3,492