Differences Between Expensive And Cheap Hair Systems?

wigglehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently bought a hair system for myself for 105 USD, and compared it to my friends hair system which he buys from a large company in America at 190 USD.
Honestly, mine looks so much better, which makes me wonder what warrants the drastic price differences.
I believe we both have 100% remy indian hair with swiss lace and a PU back and sides border.

Are the price disparities typically based on the popularity of the company or are there other quality differences that determine this?

Noah

Reaction score
There is no product on earth where price and quality have such a tenuous connection as men's hair replacement. The reason is imbalance of information. Traditionally guys didn't discuss wearing a hair system, let alone where they got it, what they were paying, and whether they were happy with it. There was no word of mouth - every buyer was on his own, with little or no means of judging whether he was being ripped off on quality and/or price. The salons had all the information, and most charged what they could get away with.

The internet has changed that a bit. On forums like this information can be shared anonymously, and it is possible to get a sense of what you should expect to pay, and what good quality looks like. But a lot of wearers and potential wearers are not tuned into the information that is available. There are still guys paying $2,000 for a system that they could get for $200.

At the price point you are discussing there is another factor at play too. Below about $180 you are most likely buying direct from the Chinese manufacturer, whereas above that level you are likely buying from a middleman in the West who in turn is buying from a Chinese manufacturer. The Chinese manufacturers definitely offer lower prices, but historically their quality control has been weak, which means that you can get an excellent system on one order (for a very attractive price), but the next time you order you get a system which is unwearable. If that happens, it is often quite difficult to get a refund or a satisfactory replacement from the manufacturer. The main role of the Western middleman is find a reliable source in China and to iron out quality and consistency problems, which is easier for them than it would be for you, because they are buying in quantity, and therefore have more bargaining power with the manufacturer.

This situation is gradually changing. Some of the Chinese manufacturers are making big efforts to develop a direct retail business, and quality control seems to be improving. Some posters on this forum have very positive stories to tell about direct purchasing, but others are still experiencing quality problems. My feeling is that the direct sellers are not there yet, but if they can crack the quality control issue it will be transformative of the trade, and a big price boon for us wearers.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will add a couple of things coming from the perspective of the person in the middle (I sell men's Hair Systems), and I was a consumer who dealt both directly with a factory in China, and with a company (whom I now represent).

1) You can't always determine quality from just looking at a system, what a system looks like after being worn, removed, and washed after 1,2 or even 3 months is the key.

2) Noah touched on Quality Control. I, as a supplier have much more control on what my factory does than the average person. This is a HUGE deal. I have clients who have used other suppliers (not just direct) who were screwed when they got a system that was wrong, and were told "no returns". I can also get a curl put on a stock system, as well as all sorts of other extras, including repairs that some other vendors of factories won't offer.

3) Purchase support. This is also a huge deal. Not everyone knows what they need. You get hours of support from a good supplier. Saving a few bucks doesn't help if you have the wrong system, or worse TWO of the wrong systems. Also, a good supplier will have a huge variety of options for you to choose from. Not "we only sell UTS", or "we only sell stock".

4) After purchase support. A good supplier that has a salon, or network of salons will give you the ability to work with them as little or as much as you need.

All of these extras translate to $$$. For an example, we buy and test new (types) systems before they ever go on the head of a client. We spend hours with the clients, especially the new ones giving free consultations.

Just something to consider in the race to get the least expensive system out there.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Noah and Bald bearded make excellent relevant points which I can only underline from my own experience.

I choose to pay a little more and go with a Western (middle man) supplier as hair system quality is consistently good. I can also get a wider choice of options. I can pick colour, density, base, wave, highlights, length and vary it from system to system and within a single system. It takes me one email and my reorder is sorted. I pay around $400 per unit and there is no need to pay more unless you visit a salon and even then it shouldn't be more than $1000 for system and cut.

Early on, I purchased direct from China and was left disappointed on all occasions and without any recourse to a refund or replacement.

Never confuse price with superiority is this field.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will add a couple of things coming from the perspective of the person in the middle (I sell men's Hair Systems), and I was a consumer who dealt both directly with a factory in China, and with a company (whom I now represent).

1) You can't always determine quality from just looking at a system, what a system looks like after being worn, removed, and washed after 1,2 or even 3 months is the key.

2) Noah touched on Quality Control. I, as a supplier have much more control on what my factory does than the average person. This is a HUGE deal. I have clients who have used other suppliers (not just direct) who were screwed when they got a system that was wrong, and were told "no returns". I can also get a curl put on a stock system, as well as all sorts of other extras, including repairs that some other vendors of factories won't offer.

3) Purchase support. This is also a huge deal. Not everyone knows what they need. You get hours of support from a good supplier. Saving a few bucks doesn't help if you have the wrong system, or worse TWO of the wrong systems. Also, a good supplier will have a huge variety of options for you to choose from. Not "we only sell UTS", or "we only sell stock".

4) After purchase support. A good supplier that has a salon, or network of salons will give you the ability to work with them as little or as much as you need.

All of these extras translate to $$$. For an example, we buy and test new (types) systems before they ever go on the head of a client. We spend hours with the clients, especially the new ones giving free consultations.

Just something to consider in the race to get the least expensive system out there.

you mentioned you could get a perm on a system; I am battling with my supplier to have this done. Is there anything I could tell him? My supplier is really just the "middle man" and seems to submit to anything the factory tells him. I am under the impression that a perm would be the LAST thing they would perform on a system in production; it just makes sense... I hade a few on order now I want this done to.

Can you help me out with this? I would greatly appreciate it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
you mentioned you could get a perm on a system; I am battling with my supplier to have this done. Is there anything I could tell him? My supplier is really just the "middle man" and seems to submit to anything the factory tells him. I am under the impression that a perm would be the LAST thing they would perform on a system in production; it just makes sense... I hade a few on order now I want this done to.

Can you help me out with this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Um, if your supplier isn't willing to do it it's likely that his factory isn't willing (or able) to do it.

There is a difference between a system that is made from curly hair, and one that is curled after production. You can't perm a UTS or any skin system because the heat required (it's baked in an oven, basically) would destroy the base.

The only option is a company that offers this service.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Um, if your supplier isn't willing to do it it's likely that his factory isn't willing (or able) to do it.

There is a difference between a system that is made from curly hair, and one that is curled after production. You can't perm a UTS or any skin system because the heat required (it's baked in an oven, basically) would destroy the base.

The only option is a company that offers this service.
Um first of all, I understand you sell hairpieces; you better check that attitude of yours if you want to stay in business, for companies like yours are a dime a dozen these days.

God forbid I ask a question I don't know anything about and you have to reply to me like I am stupid.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Um first of all, I understand you sell hairpieces; you better check that attitude of yours if you want to stay in business, for companies like yours are a dime a dozen these days.

God forbid I ask a question I don't know anything about and you have to reply to me like I am stupid.

That certainly was not my intention.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm not seeing an attitude at all. Simply acknowledge the concern suggested a remedy. Not much more to it.

David1776

My Regimen
Reaction score

I think you took this the wrong way. I’ve been spending a lot of time reading threads and you can consistently count on three members to provide honest and helpful feedback: Noah, Baldbearded, and TooBad. Maybe the Um threw you off, I’d just hate to see you alienate yourself from a good resource. I hope your day gets better.