Difference Between Weaves And Hair Systems?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Technically, a weave is where wefts of hair or a small wiglet or hair system (depending on length, etc) are sewn onto what is basically cornrows. A hair system is where each individual hair (or a pair of hairs) is knotted on a mesh base or injected and looped through a poly/skin base.

None of the systems shown in the video are "weaves".

Why do hair systems look "better" on black men (and women)? Because you don't need to expose the scalp or hairline or worry about edges given the tightness of the curl!

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It also bears mentioning that the so-called "man weaves" for black men often don't involve a pre-made hair system. Wefts of afro-textured hair are glued directly on the scalp in rows and then cut down with clippers. There are tutorials on YouTube that show the process.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It also bears mentioning that the so-called "man weaves" for black men often don't involve a pre-made hair system. Wefts of afro-textured hair are glued directly on the scalp in rows and then cut down with clippers. There are tutorials on YouTube that show the process.

Actually, BOTH exist, it depends on the style that is being attempted. You can order a hair system with afro hair.

I saw someone do "dreds" on an almost totally bald scalp. I can't imagine how it's at all comfortable. The top of the head is shaved, and then they apply GhostBond. On the Ghostbond goes a stocking, on which is applied "black hair glue". To that, is attached what looks like black paper (like a FedEx envelope-like material), to which more "black hair glue" is spread (rather thickly). To that is attached, pre-made "dreds", in a downward direction, it's just placed on the glue, in concentric circles around the head.

After all the dreds are placed, they are pressed down. Once dried, they are al pulled UP and BACK and tied, creating a sort of loop. The stylist then went around the perimeter and sort of faded the loops with a clipper.

During the entire process, he referred to it as a "man weave".

I can't imagine wanting to get this wet! I also can't imagine this being at all comfortable, with two layers of base, and all of that glue. I also wonder how long it lasts.

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
No idea about these dreds, but I'm inclined to agree with you about the probable comfort level. Yikes.

I had looked into how the very short "scalp exposure" units were created because I had always favored extremely short haircuts. Beyond finding out that the technique wouldn't work with straight hair, I discovered that they only last a week or two. Which makes sense--since the hair is glued directly to the scalp without a base, once the glue starts to break down the hair will simply fall off.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
No idea about these dreds, but I'm inclined to agree with you about the probable comfort level. Yikes.

I had looked into how the very short "scalp exposure" units were created because I had always favored extremely short haircuts. Beyond finding out that the technique wouldn't work with straight hair, I discovered that they only last a week or two. Which makes sense--since the hair is glued directly to the scalp without a base, once the glue starts to break down the hair will simply fall off.

Which keeps the salons in business!