Difference Between Nw3 And Nw1 On The Lookscale

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well done mate. I can't use my pm well right now as my phone is playing up when I attempt to click on it. Did you choose the known or unknown surgeon? You know what I think about that but either way it will work out most likely. You'll naturally go through all the emotions but by summer you'll be a legitimate full head trust me. All the best.
The well known one.

Not looking forward to an 18 hour flight, but it will be worth it in the end.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
The surgeon is good but you should still emphasise about reinforcement. Reinforcing the thinning forelock and going right up to the receded corners and a cm more is vital or you'll have to go back/won't look as good. Finasteride maintains very well in cases with slow patterns and getting on it early but it's usually the front half which is still sensitive so sort it while you're there for good.

I think you'll be charged a fixed sum rather than per grafts?

Aim for 2500 grafts even 3k, those guys lucked out in terms of density (hair calibre, physiology, surgeon) but you may get close to it. We've had people with thick hair and Norwood 3 who received 3k grafts and since yours is a little finer it's not OTT.
The surgeons quoted me 2200 except one who said 1500 grafts.

I actually contacted 8 surgeons which is OTT but I wanted to get a good feel for my options.

The one who said 1500 would just do the temples, whereas I think Bhatti and Cinik were openly saying they will the temples and the first part of the forelock.

I'm currently very fearful about the process after researching other forums and seeing that many people go to good surgeons and still get so, so results.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people in your boat get a good to excellent result and forums have bias for non response or inadequate. It's simple surgery compared to other stuff, just a number and artistry game. Take a few weeks off surgery minimum and buy a lose fitting hat- fishing hat is better than a baseball cap for the first week or so and avoid scratching .Topical antibiotic cream and saline spray will be provided. Rest should be okay over time.
Thanks for the reassurance. I've got three weeks off work so I might get away with nobody noticing if I style my hair well.

One last question - doesn't going too much over the forelock where its still quite dense cause more shock loss?

AlexJay80

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's only 1 guy who's a Norwood 3 out of the guys you class as Norwood 3. The 1st and particularly the 3rd are Norwood 2.

Federer was never a Norwood 1 in 2006 (was definitely receding back then) and has also become a lot more attractive as he's gotten older. He's lost weight and dresses better. Having said that, he's balding and will be a Norwood 4 in the next few years but I doubt he cares. He's got a fairly attractive wife, a family and an absolute f**k load of cash. Norwood 4 in your 40's is far from catastrophic.

As for your question, that depends. Most middle aged men suit a higher hairline. It can make you look distinguished. I've one friend who's 38 and still has a juvenile hairline. It looks odd and incongruous especially as he's fat and out of shape.

A Norwood 3 in your 40's is a good look. However, a Norwood 3 in your late teens/early 20's is sh*t because it means aggressive balding and likely a Norwood 6 or 7 by your late 20's.

cantara

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's only 1 guy who's a Norwood 3 out of the guys you class as Norwood 3. The 1st and particularly the 3rd are Norwood 2.

Federer was never a Norwood 1 in 2006 (was definitely receding back then) and has also become a lot more attractive as he's gotten older. He's lost weight and dresses better. Having said that, he's balding and will be a Norwood 4 in the next few years but I doubt he cares. He's got a fairly attractive wife, a family and an absolute f**k load of cash. Norwood 4 in your 40's is far from catastrophic.

As for your question, that depends. Most middle aged men suit a higher hairline. It can make you look distinguished. I've one friend who's 38 and still has a juvenile hairline. It looks odd and incongruous especially as he's fat and out of shape.

A Norwood 3 in your 40's is a good look. However, a Norwood 3 in your late teens/early 20's is sh*t because it means aggressive balding and likely a Norwood 6 or 7 by your late 20's.

Fairly attractive wife...maybe. But less attractive than RF himself, not even counting his fame and money. I have often wondered if for him the fact that he COULD have most girls in this world is enough, so he can be with somebody he forms a great partnership with.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fairly attractive wife...maybe. But less attractive than RF himself, not even counting his fame and money. I have often wondered if for him the fact that he COULD have most girls in this world is enough, so he can be with somebody he forms a great partnership with.
He could date a better looking woman. I could date a better looking woman. But sometimes its just about a few simple things - are you attracted to them and do you love spending time with them. If the answer is yes to those two then why the hell not?

cantara

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He could date a better looking woman. I could date a better looking woman. But sometimes its just about a few simple things - are you attracted to them and do you love spending time with them. If the answer is yes to those two then why the hell not?
Sure, why the hell not. I'd always be curious if the woman in question were to still date the guy if his looks weren't superior and it was "just" (enough) attraction and enjoying the guy's company. Understandably, for many that question is obsolete, since it's only about the factors you mentioned.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shock loss is possible but being on finasteride for at least 6 months can lessen it. Either way they will plant a decent amount of grafts there while taking that into account. They have to build some of the forelock again, imagine only doing temples and then the forelock disappears (which is also quite dht sensitive in this form of hair loss even if on finasteride).

You will get something like regardless of what norwood it is. The surgeon should give you < NW2 which is non balding and normal but specify if he gets too conservative.
View attachment 102466
do you have the final result of this dude surgery ? i have quite the same hair texture as him( maybe a litthe bit thicker)

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
and people with dark hair or curly hair are better candidate for hair transplant from what i have noticed .

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shock loss is possible but being on finasteride for at least 6 months can lessen it. Either way they will plant a decent amount of grafts there while taking that into account. They have to build some of the forelock again, imagine only doing temples and then the forelock disappears (which is also quite dht sensitive in this form of hair loss even if on finasteride).

You will get something like regardless of what norwood it is. The surgeon should give you < NW2 which is non balding and normal but specify if he gets too conservative.
View attachment 102466
Yes that's what I am expecting.

All the surgeons i spoke to said my hair loss isn't so bad that I need a total shave so the surgeon said they will just shave the temples and perhaps a tiny bit at the front (I still have my original hairline at the front). Only one surgeon said they would charge extra if not shaved in total.

Because I've got three weeks off work I think I may be able to still style my hair when I go back to work.

My hair is natural thick and light to medium brown. I've read that thick hair is great for density but not perfect for the hairline itself

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's fine for the hairline, it's just that some unskilled surgeons or those not used to it won't know how to distribute in the first two rows. Because the hair is thicker you would want to use some of the softer hairs near the bottom of the donor area for the front two rows. Your hair is probably medium thickness.
It still blows my mind that bad surgeons exist. How can a full time transplant surgeon not get good at their job?

Beyond that, how do they survive the bad reviews?

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
For my interest I observed this surgery once and did a few things. It is relatively easy to be average at it in this era but average is the old bad. So you can survive as most patients will just see hair and not focus on imperfections as a result of the surgery. But when you compare those results with a good surgeon and look at it with a microscope, you realise the poorer result. Incision placement, angulation, overall design is not as good so the result looks more artificial and not the best use of grafts at all. It does take an artist to do a great job which is why you can see trademark Rahal, Diep from a mile away.

Also some surgeons are good at their job but they delegate too much to techs and resident docs when they get big which can affect future results. It's still nothing like actual surgery, imagine having an abdomen open, neck, leg and all the neurovascular elements next to you. Hair is more like topical surgery but I appreciate it's scary for the uninitiated. That's not to say you can't get sides from a hair transplant, you surely can get some bad ones as it's still intradermal but unlikely. There are also surgeons that will lie about graft numbers and make more money, it's an easy career in every way once set up and you have some popularity. Beats being stuck in internal medicine in some downtrodden hospital.
Glad to hear that most are at least average and there aren't too many legit butchers.

Because i'm just getting temples done and not rebuilding the whole frontal hairline I feel I don't need perfection - just a decent hair transplant where the grafts manage to survive.

Good news: they've told me to take a month off work because the week back was quite light on hours anyway.

4 weeks off to recover from a fue is pretty sweet!

cantara

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm flying over second to last week of January.

I've booked 2 weeks off work and then its 7 days off for the Asian/lunar new year - so 3 weeks off which will hopefully allow some of the redness to dissipate.

I don't know how you men felt about getting transplants, but I think its quite a scary thing to do. The surgeon has been pretty good at explaining the process to me though.
How did it go?

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much difference does it make being nw3 to a nw1 on the lookscale?

Norwood 3s:

View attachment 101811

View attachment 101812

View attachment 101813

And NW1s:

View attachment 101814

View attachment 101815

Does it even make a one point different on the lookscale?

All these men float around the 7 mark for me.

Would the Norwood 3s jump up to an 8 with a nw1?

Face over hairstyle,unless they are slick bald...
Hardly many slick bald guys I fancy.

That's how I'm attracted to guys at first.

cantara

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Glad to hear that most are at least average and there aren't too many legit butchers.

Because i'm just getting temples done and not rebuilding the whole frontal hairline I feel I don't need perfection - just a decent hair transplant where the grafts manage to survive.

Good news: they've told me to take a month off work because the week back was quite light on hours anyway.

4 weeks off to recover from a fue is pretty sweet!
How did it go?