Difference Between Mature Hairline And Balding

Nicolas Coleman

My Regimen
Reaction score
so i am 16 and i am not sure if i have male pattern balding or a mature hairline. i have read that a mature hairline isnt a thing and is just a nice way to say early balding but i have also read that as you age your hairline changes with less rounded corners. my hairline is pretty straight with my temples thinning leaving a widows peak( noticeable only to me) so i wanna know the difference between balding a mature hairline if its even a thing.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no such thing. You are either balding or not.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are plenty of men who have temple recession but do not BALD. It is a more V hair line. It would be very off for a 50yr old male for example to have a perfectly straight hair line.

Balding is when these temples continue to recede, the front thins and the top and crown also starts to bald.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
its all semantics but any form of hairloss through the process of miniaturisation is male pattern baldness. The term mature hairline is synonymous with a very slow receding hairline and someone who isn't prone to crown loss. Usually men with mature hairlines will end up with a decimated frontal zone in time but keep their crown.

Cj3000

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairline started to change when I was about sixteen as well and i'm not exactly sure what to classify it as either. It moved back a bit farther around my temples, and a bit on the front too. This is what the sides look like. Does this look like a receding hairline or a maturing hairline to anyone who can tell?

Attachments

• IMG_4729.jpg
    IMG_4729.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_4720.jpg
    IMG_4720.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 514

abcdefg

Reaction score
There are plenty of men who have temple recession but do not BALD. It is a more V hair line. It would be very off for a 50yr old male for example to have a perfectly straight hair line.

Balding is when these temples continue to recede, the front thins and the top and crown also starts to bald.

Some men have always had a widows peak though its not really temple recession. IMO its unlikely if your hair on the temples miniaturizes that as you get older it just magically stops and freezes like that forever. Im sure it happens sometimes, but I think most of the time androgens continue to shrink your hair as you age.
A 50 year old with perfect hairline would be weird, but weird in a very good way. You would get complimented, and look great for your age simply because your hair looks so youthful. Its certainly not a negative anymore than some 50 year old ripped dude is a negative because its unusual

Pickemslick

My Regimen
Reaction score
exactly right. I noticed my high hairline in high school. I’m now 34. And while the crown has been uneffected that hairline is a slow creeper for some including me. But there’s no one with receding temples with a full head of hair at 40. Unless you catch it early with minoxidil, propecia etc

abcdefg

Reaction score
exactly right. I noticed my high hairline in high school. I’m now 34. And while the crown has been uneffected that hairline is a slow creeper for some including me. But there’s no one with receding temples with a full head of hair at 40. Unless you catch it early with minoxidil, propecia etc

True if your hair is sensitive its not going to end well. Its only to keep getting worse as your sensitivity will almost certainly get worse or accelerate with age its almost for sure. I know guys at 40 though with perfect straight Norwood 1 hair they had at 19 I mean it exists for sure, but most of them dont have sensitivity or male pattern baldness genes I guess. Most men at 40+ with perfect hair though have unusually almost zero facial hair compared to most men their age. No androgen link? Androgens cause facial hair so it seems having almost zero DHT or androgens long term can prevent male pattern baldness from happening. Which finasteride mimics, but its not perfect still 20-30 percent DHT left.

Pickemslick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes it’s weird how it works. I grow facial hair but there’s connectors that don’t fill in good. I had a Norwood 2 at 18 and at 34 it hadn’t gotten to 3 yet. I’m glad I waited though because I find it hard to believe propecia is good for an 18 year old. I’m just hoping to maintain and maybe add to hairline with small transplant

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes it’s weird how it works. I grow facial hair but there’s connectors that don’t fill in good. I had a Norwood 2 at 18 and at 34 it hadn’t gotten to 3 yet. I’m glad I waited though because I find it hard to believe propecia is good for an 18 year old. I’m just hoping to maintain and maybe add to hairline with small transplant

Yeah agreed. Men generally develop physically all the way up until 25 and although it usually doesn't involve vertical growth (although does for some), it is the period where bones grow more robust and our secondary sexual features become enhanced which can involve anything from facial hair to jaw growth. I am unsure what effects DHT will have on those processes but you would think it is detrimental.