Diet and hair loss

nymale24

Reaction score
About 4 or 5 months ago, I started eating very few carbohydrates and changed my diet. About 3 months ago, I noticed my hair has been thinning at a much quicker rate than ever before. I have been taking Propecia for 5 years or so and have not worried about hair loss because the stuff worked. Anyways, my girlfriend reminded me tonighta bout my big change in diet and is convinced that is why my hair has been thinning lately... any comments.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been on and off Atkins a number of times in the past 5 years. I dont believe it impacted my hairloss.

However I would not reccomend doing the low carb thing as long as you have. Use it for an initial kick start of weight loss, sure, but in the long term, the best way to lose weight is a balanced diet of complex carbohidrates, protien, and unsaturated fats, combined with exercise. This is the path to a long and healthy life.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Is that really the secret to weightloss?

I lost 15KG by pure and simple starvation (eating quite a bit less than i should).. and i've kept it off for nearly 4 years now! Of course, everyone is different. And the key to a long life (not healthy mind you), is to starve yourself to the brink of death, but never actually quite getting there. Extends the life of rats by 40% !

I was sure there were some vitamins/minerals, when you are deficient, can cause hair loss. Can't think of it though...

hopewas

Reaction score
Rage said:
Is that really the secret to weightloss?

I lost 15KG by pure and simple starvation (eating quite a bit less than i should).. and i've kept it off for nearly 4 years now! Of course, everyone is different. And the key to a long life (not healthy mind you), is to starve yourself to the brink of death, but never actually quite getting there. Extends the life of rats by 40% !

I was sure there were some vitamins/minerals, when you are deficient, can cause hair loss. Can't think of it though...

that is the best and only way to lose weight in all honesty..eating only one good meal a day and hardly anything the rest of the day besides fruit, etc...

drinkrum

Reaction score
I disagree. I think the best way to lose weight is to eat 5-6 small meals a day and to avoid sugar-rich substances like fruits as much as possible (of course you need a little to get your vitamins and minerals. Also, you should avoid eating later at night and try to wake up early and put some food in your system to jump-start your metabolism.

If you only eat one big meal a day, your body's metabolism will come to a screeching halt -- making it hard to lose any fat. But of course, everyone is different ...

D.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you want to lose weight, or do you want to lose fat?

If you want to lose weight, then by all means, starve yourself. But if you want to maintain lean mass while burning fat, then eatting about 6 small meals a day, as drinkrum said, is the way. Eatting one large meal a day will cause insulin spikes, and insulin aids fat storage.

Ok, by request,

The Eightfold path to cure male pattern baldness
(As translated by Flux)

Right Understanding
-Understand the true root of male pattern baldness (DHT!)

Right Thoughts
-Think Positive!

Right Conduct
-Use proven treatments, and use them regularly. Dont slack off!

Right Speech
-Talk to your follicles, encourage them to grow.

Right Livelihood
-Avoid stress in the workplace, 'cuz stress is a hair killer.

Right Effort
-Do not struggle with hairloss treatments. Just use them and live your life.

Right Mindfulness
-Be aware of and cherish the hair you have.

Right Concentration
-Use 5% Minoxidil, not 2%!
:D

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
actually im personally convinced that everyone needs differen things..my great uncle lived to 92 and all he did was drink all damn day and eat junk..

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jason566 said:
drink all damn day and eat junk..
Great advice :roll:
So you're concluding that his drinking and eating junk food contributed to his long life? Not likely, my friend.

Some people get lucky and dont get cancer or heart attacks or strokes, despite such bad habits. And some people who take diligent care of themselves do find themselves keeling over at a relativly young age. But this is a numbers game. The better you take care of yourself, the better your odds.

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
Let's face it, genetics is in the driver's seat for both male pattern baldness and longevity of life.

Like treatment for male pattern baldness, by eating right and exercising, you can get one hand on the steering wheel. But, you can't completely steer the car.

The old guy probably would probably have lived to be 150 if he had lived his life like, say, Jack LaLane.