Did Rogaine make my face swell?! :(

NeedSomeHelpBro

Reaction score
So I recently got back on Rogaine for a couple of months now.
In this process I also got back into getting myself in shape as I was no doubt out of it.
I always thought "wow I'm really getting into shape now" as my body was losing fat all over.
But I thought my face was always the part of me that needed more work. I thought the more I get in shape the easier this will be to see my cheekbones really pop like they used to. I feel like I'm very close to my goals but yet my jaw isn't as sharp and defined. Then, like any other thing I come to find out a side effect of Rogaine can cause puffy face / face swelling.

This is where I thought the apocalypse was coming because then I started to get paranoid as hell thinking
is Rogaine making my face swell? As if my hair problem isn't enough I have been on Rogaine for years
I can't stop now, I'll lose my hair I've gained. I heard stopping Rogaine fixes it so I have been off it
for about 3 days. I'm scared my hairs gonna start to go. :( So I don't know how much of this could be Rogaine and how much of this could be my weight / paranoia. I'm gonna keep losing weight but I also don't know if that's worth helping my hair fall out faster?

What do I do?! :( is it Rogaine or all in my head? If NEEDED, I can post pictures but I posted this to see
your guys experiences and if anyone has dealt with this like I have, would really appreciate it.

NeedSomeHelpBro

Reaction score
Oh come on, how many threads like this?

How can you have doubts about it?

Either your face starts to swell after you put it or it does not.

Stop scaring the newbies from using minoxidil.

I'm not trying to scare anybody, I just personally can't tell. I was just trying to see if anyone else has dealt with this but clearly I'm just being judged for my concerns. ;(

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Topical minoxidil wont cause facial swelling this topic has been done to death. I take minoxidil orally at a very high dose and I admit in the morning my eyes are a bit puffy but it could just be im getting older not due to the medication, if you're that worried and want nice skin start using retin-A on your face or something

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Topical minoxidil wont cause facial swelling this topic has been done to death.
Yes, and it has been confirmed time and again that minoxidil does cause facial bloating. It is even listed among the official side effects, as minoxidil is known to cause tissue water retention - the cause of swelling/bloating.

Just because it does not happen to you does not mean it does not happen in general. That's a false assumption many people make.

NeedSomeHelpBro

Reaction score
Yes, and it has been confirmed time and again that minoxidil does cause facial bloating. It is even listed among the official side effects, as minoxidil is known to cause tissue water retention - the cause of swelling/bloating.

Just because it does not happen to you does not mean it does not happen in general. That's a false assumption many people make.

This is is why I am all corncerned. What should I do? I don't wanna lose my hair but I can't have a bloated face either.. This is depressing

Masakage

Reaction score
This is is why I am all corncerned. What should I do? I don't wanna lose my hair but I can't have a bloated face either.. This is depressing

I'd say lower the dose. Those side effects occur from systemic absorption. I've had many side effects prior to it, I use 1ml a day now and so far so good, it barely even itches which is great!

massa

Banned
Reaction score
Yes but if Rogaine did make your face swell that would mean it would have to have gone systematic and at 2 or 5% that's practically trace amounts even if some did absorb systematically, therefore it would travel in your bloodstream and the first place you'd notice any water retention from minoxidil would be in your legs and ankles so you would put your hands around your ankles and feel them swollen. This is what I get at 40mg of Loniten and my face is fine other than puffy eyes when waking but that's normal as you age. Next you'll be saying it gave you wrinkles lol.

NeedSomeHelpBro

Reaction score
Yes but if Rogaine did make your face swell that would mean it would have to have gone systematic and at 2 or 5% that's practically trace amounts even if some did absorb systematically, therefore it would travel in your bloodstream and the first place you'd notice any water retention from minoxidil would be in your legs and ankles so you would put your hands around your ankles and feel them swollen. This is what I get at 40mg of Loniten and my face is fine other than puffy eyes when waking but that's normal as you age. Next you'll be saying it gave you wrinkles lol.

I'm not TRYING to claim it made me look 98 or it made my ding dong snap in half. I just have a concern that I heard was POSSIBLE. And.. yeah, could be paranoid but at the same time it's concerning I don't wanna look skinny everywhere except the money maker. My face. But I see you say, the foam at 2% 5% wouldn't give me the side effects.. So do I have nothing to worry about? I'm not saying my face is the size of a water balloon. But like, my cheeks just look a little bigger to me than usual. Like, my jawline is starting to show again but under my eyes my cheek area to me anyway just seems more puffy and rounder if I could say. It bothers me. So that's why I said what I said, but if what you just said is true am I alright then?

I'm not trying to be rude. But the amount of minoxidil in a 2% or 5% solution is very small. I kind of get the feeling there are people selling hair products on this particular blog.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you think your skin is bloating? I'm just curious. Have you posted any pictures to show other people this effect?

I haven't posted any pictures because I felt if I was just paranoid there was no no need, but like I said I can if I have to. Or well, should. Anyway, is the small % true? Because like I told massa. I'm not saying my face is the size of a water balloon. But like, my cheeks just look a little bigger to me than usual. Like, my jawline is starting to show again but under my eyes my cheek area to me anyway just seems more puffy and rounder if I could say. It bothers me. So that's why I said what I said, but if what you just said is true am I alright then? That's all I want to know, I just want another hair related nightmare to end, as if me dealing with hair loss wasn't already enough.