did people care more now or then about being bald?

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think baldness has ever been considered as something completely acceptable during any time period throughout history.

br1

Reaction score
You see.. At the BJJ gym I have some friends who shave their heads and yet they are not bald. Just cause they like the style.

The other day one of these pals came to the training and he was letting his hair a little longer, and he had a full head of hair. I kinda felt like betrayed. Lol

alexpie2

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it is getting more acceptable today compared to before. I do believe more people are balding nowadays for some reason.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
I didnot watch the video..

but my dad said few days back having hairloss was so bad in his young age.
because all people were crazy for looks..because of movie influence and tv..and only movie used to be there..so this point has weightage..

today we have various vehicles of entertainment and public exposure..

To get girl for marriage was too difficult as there was always a hair guy ready to marry a girl..
also there was little interaction between boys and girls...
so no chance to people to express themselves...

that is why men used to wear even a bad quality wigs..
the level of understanding was also present that time..men knew that wigs wear fccek up bad quality still people used it....

Nowadays..baldness is going acceptable i believe..i am not talking from dating perspective but still..

one cannot ridule bald men now..he will be badly viewed by public if he does..

garyhary

Established Member
Reaction score
There are more people balding now then perhaps 50 years ago. So you see it more often and it becomes more common. I believe that it became more common but it only become very slightly more accepted. The acceptance did not grow as much as it became common to see guys with thinning hair. What is accepted are some stereotypes which were created in the last, say, 30 years - very sad.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
There are not more balding people than before. I have a group picture of my grandfather when he was in the army and some of the officers were NW3-4 in their teens.

I don't know why people believe this. Why exactly do you think there are more bald men now? Baldness is a genetic disease that is not influenced by the environment.

You think you see more bald men because you notice them, but if you pay attention, very few men in their 20's are balding.

Agreed.

I notice every single guys hair now since I realized I was doomed..

Amazing how little I noticed it before

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is a totally ridiculous observation to assess that there are more bald/balding people just from seeing a few odd pictures 30 years ago because it's not a good sample size and that's why no individual can get a rough idea of how many bald people there are purely through their perspective. Only way to actually assess how many men are bald/balding if there was survey completed every year assessing the number of men that are bald/balding in the entire country, obviously the population is increasing so it would have to be done through percentages.

I think it's a totally ridiculous notion that somehow baldness has increased over 50 years and there are no studies to back up that statement.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe they are maybe they aren't - and to what degree is the important question. Lets not kid ourselves woman go for what is available at a point in time, say late twenties, when it's time for marriage/panic deadline approaching 30's. They don't exactly have a wide array of NW1s to choose from, especially by that age.

And as I've said above, aren't women supposed to be disgusted by bald men?

Following that logic, there should be less men going bald.

- - - Updated - - -

So just saying bald me get married too, following that logic, they pass potential bad genes onto off spring.

resu

Reaction score
When I look at movies from the 70's I see a lot of comb-overs, those long hairstyles were made to hide the recession of the temples.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. On one hand, my generation (I'm 19) seems to be more focused/centered on looks then previous generations, but on the other hand, the majority of the people my age are not yet bald, so there is no telling.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We are living in perhaps the most narcissistic and self-centred period in all of human history.

Kababburger

Reaction score
We are living in perhaps the most narcissistic and self-centred period in all of human history.
+1

Besides our life style and also fooding intake perhaps tap water lead to accelerated hairloass in comparison with our grand parent

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

This is true. I think there's a lot more pressure on guys to look good today. On the other hand, I also think the buzzed look is more mainstream and more accepted now than it was back in the day. Generally if you watch shows from the 70s and 80s, most guys are sporting dodgy combovers and toupees which often just draw attention to the balding.

- - - Updated - - -

Kababburger said:
perhaps tap water lead to accelerated hairloass in comparison with our grand parent

I've actually cut out all water from my diet and am seeing significant regrowth. I will be meeting my doctor soon to see if it can also be removed from my bloodstream.

hairlossman11122

Reaction score
I've actually cut out all water from my diet and am seeing significant regrowth. I will be meeting my doctor soon to see if it can also be removed from my bloodstream.

Wait, does that actually work? Less water = more blood so that could nourish your hair follicles much better. I'm gonna book an appt to remove all water from my body. Thanks.

alexpie2

Established Member
Reaction score
Wrong. Balding is genetic and there have always been the same proportion of bald guys. Even at a very young age.

There should even be less bald guys, if it's true that women are repulsed by hair loss.

I agree that it's way more acceptable than before, only 30 years ago in my father's time, you were automatically considered a skinhead if you shaved your head.

It is hard to justify it either way. A lot of my friends that are older agree with me on this one that there are more people balding nowadays, but no one can really prove if this is true or not. Yes genetics is the main culprit of hairloss, but there may be something in this age of time that is accelerating the hairloss.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Beauty and sexual attractiveness are a purely relative zero sum game.

If 1 million people becoming more attractive, then everybody else becomes more ugly.

In a world with finasteride, with minoxidil, and with hair transplants, there is a greater penalty to being bald, since it's now rarer.

shookwun

Reaction score
Their is no acceptance of the look, because people are always going to discriminate and talk **** behind your back.

Social behavior, and being sensitive towards those who are balding seems to be the trend for most, but that doesn't mean they dont think negatively towards you in their head.

Balding men are an extreme minority. Nw7s are rare, as are pre mature baldies.

What's socially and aesthetically accepted is minor recession at the hairline. A 40 year old man with a NW2 is completely fine. Nobody is going to think twice, and say BALDIE.